Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Deleted User 14541

Re: Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

hank_612 wrote:Ssb ops have much better etiquette, dont use **Censored** noise toys, and prefer to talk to each other. Am is full of people that just want to be heard and annoy others.
Not always. There are some good people on am. The ssb snobs that complain because I'm a little off frequency and think you need a $1000+ radio to talk on 11 meters are way worse. Ssb operators don't need toys because their holier than thou attitudes are annoying enough. :lol:
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Post by dirtyjob »

hank_612 wrote:Ssb ops have much better etiquette, dont use **Censored** noise toys, and prefer to talk to each other. Am is full of people that just want to be heard and annoy others.

how often do you listen..lol I hear roger beeps and echo's all the time on ssb, as well as all the action words you ever heard.

wanna hear the real crackpots tune to 80 meters some night :bounce:

Where people are involved your gonna get all kinds.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
hank_612
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: Gainmaster
Radio: Grant XL + M4V

Post by hank_612 »

I said nothing about comparing 11 meter to any ham bands. I was merely pointing out that there is more BS especially on the bowl.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

i wasnt comparing it either, the echos/beeps was me referring to cb sideband, I hear it all the time.

The 80 meter reference was me pointing out theres crackpots operating there too 8)

again, where there are people, you get all kinds, as far as radio, modes do little to clean them up.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
capt-woody
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by capt-woody »

So I have a question. I am just getting back into CB. Right now have a cobra 29 and uniden 68. But starting to remember why I got out. Too Much Skip! I really don't want to talk skip, just locale with as much range as possible. I have a Wilson 5000 antenna and palomar 200 amp. works good on clear channel, but right now skip is always thru the roof. Will sideband give quieter means to talk local? and what other options are out there? Any thoughts?
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

capt-woody wrote:So I have a question. I am just getting back into CB. Right now have a cobra 29 and uniden 68. But starting to remember why I got out. Too Much Skip! I really don't want to talk skip, just locale with as much range as possible. I have a Wilson 5000 antenna and palomar 200 amp. works good on clear channel, but right now skip is always thru the roof. Will sideband give quieter means to talk local? and what other options are out there? Any thoughts?
Learn to love the skip and use it to your advantage. with that Palomar you can have a lot of fun talking skip. about the only time I hear locals talking here is 4 in the morning when there is dead silence on the radio. Other than that when the sun comes up here comes the skip. I agree it's annoying but only if you let it be. It's there just learn to love it and jump right in and enjoy it.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

it wont be around long, where on the down of an 11 year cycle, love it, when its degrades everyone will be crying about it for sure.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
capt-woody
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by capt-woody »

Well I guess my point was that I have many friends local that we talk on the cb, but with the skip, it is next to impossible to communicate more than a couple miles. I don't really talk skip, and LOVE a clear channel to not have to talk over the skip. But thanks for the input.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

Hi
Have used this before, I saw the whole sideband thing explained in a CB magazine years ago. Still explains thing better than anything have seen since. For CB purposes a frequency is a channel, same difference. 40 channels above or below the established 40 or more, they are all frequencies. Channel 38 is Isle 38 in a supermarket it is two shopping carts wide. On AM you are pushing both carts at the same time. When you select a sideband now you're pushing just one and lots faster. because the isle is narrower when you are listening to someone with one cart (SSB) you have to fine tune your receiver because they are using less space, Clarifier. Basically that's the whole thing. Over simplified but that's really all you need. Don't over complicate an anvil. Just my two cents which won't buy anything.

Always remember a camel is a horse that was designed by a committee.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

One way to cut out some of the skip would be free banding if you can talk your friends to invest in the extra channels.. Everyone has cb but only a portion of those who have cb also have the extra channels which makes alot less skip to deal with.the skip will still be there just not as bad. Just a thought.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

Post by p38 »

Illputit this way i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. side band is great for long distance on nights you can barely hear someone so you both switch over too lsb and presto its a bit clearer ive run into this a few times on the road traveling and commuting 1/2hours too work can get boring and when conditions get nasty its nice too have a little bit of punch behind you too get out.I run an old delta force(iknow dinosaur right?) 50watts is all i need with a 102 and 99% of the time im running very close too fcc regulated power if not spot on(variable power) . the antenna truly does make your radio. but in my opinion side band is a must! but thats just my two cents :lol:
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.