Can't Decide On A Scanner

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Can't Decide On A Scanner

Post by De_Wildfire »

I am undecided on whether to buy the Icom r-20 scanner and the Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT. I like the close capture technology on Uniden but I want to receive on the SW bands all the way tup to 3.3 gig continuous. I also like to listen to SSB. Is there a scanner that has both of the features I want? There are times when I just want to scan and listen and scan but there are also times if I see a transmitter nearby, it would be nice to see where it is transmitting. I hate to buy two scanners. Both scanners that I mentioned are around $500. Any ideas?
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Re: Can't Decide On A Scanner

Post by Circuit Breaker »

The problem with the R-20 is that, while it will receive down in to HF, it won't do it well with the supplied antenna. You'll only hear the strongest stations. There will be a LOT of stuff you simply won't hear unless you install a multi-band shortwave dipole outside. The other downside is that you won't be able to listen to P-25 transmissions with the Icom...not a concern if you don't have any agencies using such a system near you. Since all my listening is at home for the most part, I'd like to get the PCR-2500 from Icom. It's controlled through your PC. It will receive the same frequencies as the R-20, I believe, but has the option of adding a P-25 decoder.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99