ANY HELP THANKS.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
julthree

ANY HELP THANKS.

Post by julthree »

i been want to buy a couple Kenwood TK 805 - D UHF mobile transceiver does any one how far they will get out on any given day. will they do seventy miles in terrain ? i find them for sale cheap.some are not programmed ? or taken out service
'Doc

Re: ANY HELP THANKS.

Post by 'Doc »

There's no way to reliably predict the usable range of that, or any UHF radio, in miles. It depends a great deal on the terrain, propagation, antennas in use, and who knows what other variables. In a typical mobile situation in variable terrain, I'd have to say forget 70 miles. I also won't try to guess at the usable range you would get. UHF is a 'line of sight' type thingy. If both antennas are above the horizon, there should be communications between them. 25 watts would be more than enough in that case. If the antennas are not in 'sight' of each other, 250 or 2500 watts won't do much good.
So would those Kenwood radios be a good choice? Not particularly, it isn't the brand, it's the band of use.
- 'Doc
julthree

Post by julthree »

thanks doc. i though that was not do able. i need to cover at least 75- 100 miles in decent terrane not the rockies put mountains any way.any ideas ? there no cell ser.its real spotty
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Oh, there are several alternative, the more reliable they are the more expensive they are too. Using repeaters with VHF/UHF stuff is one of those alternatives. That's not simple though, the hardest part being where do you put those @#$ repeaters for good coverage. Another alternative is going to HF. That has it's own set of problems, usually dealing with noise of one kind or another. Things tend to be 'bigger' at HF too. And then there's always those 'sat-phones'! Somewhere in all that you start wondering just how important reliable communications really is for you. I don't know of any sure-fire method of doing all that, at least not an inexpensive one.
Good luck!
- 'Doc