Police fire emergency scanners

a place to talk about and ask for help for them shortwave radio's & Scanners

Moderator: JR Moderator

Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Police fire emergency scanners

Post by Chrisnick » Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 0:07 AM

Hi all. I have an old RS scanner that I believe is out dated. If I wanted to hear police and other emergency stuff what type of scanner do I now need? I am looking for more of a small handheld one.

When my RS scanner worked I used to listen to the airport, no better heads up on weather than the air traffic controllers it seemed like. I have an app on my iPad that I can hear "some" stuff on but nothing really in my area.
(Southern NH). I guess this digital trunking super secret stuff is hard to get.

Any advice on a scanner which will allow me to hear Govt stuff around me is appreciated.

Thanks all!!!

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Logged in via: Linux Laptop

Re: Police fire emergency scanners

Post by sonoma » Wednesday, 25 January 2017, 7:23 AM

just get a new digital scanner that will hear 800 mhz with all the lower freq and you will have about all you want. I have some new scanners and they have all the freq built into the scanner for all states. you just program into it what state you are in and you can receave all the local channels. there will be some that you will not receive and what I do is write down all the freq I hear in my area and then turn off all the ones you do not hear so the scanner does not scan what is not in your area. most even have a band where you can program manually all the channels you want to hear then the scanner is not scanning all the ones you do not want.

if you will type in your search bar scanner or police or air freq channels it will give you about all that are in your area after a few quick searches. then you will know what scanner you want.

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Radio: 980SSB/Cobra29/Yaesu
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Guy
Cell Phone: 504-231-8254

Post by DevilDog66 » Thursday, 26 January 2017, 5:37 AM

Radio Shack sells one that is on sale right now that does the APCO P25 phase 1 & 2 modes and will also get government freqs as well. I own the Uniden model BCD436 I believe are the numbers. The Uniden does it all, just program in your zip code and BAM your scanning freqs in your area/state. Its a bit pricey but it is a highly capable scanner. The RS is a good one as well and may be a little bit easier to program. I guess its just personal preference, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 28 January 2017, 11:40 AM

Chrisnick wrote:Hi all. I have an old RS scanner that I believe is out dated. If I wanted to hear police and other emergency stuff what type of scanner do I now need? I am looking for more of a small handheld one.

When my RS scanner worked I used to listen to the airport, no better heads up on weather than the air traffic controllers it seemed like. I have an app on my iPad that I can hear "some" stuff on but nothing really in my area.
(Southern NH). I guess this digital trunking super secret stuff is hard to get.

Any advice on a scanner which will allow me to hear Govt stuff around me is appreciated.

Thanks all!!!
DevilDog66 wrote:Radio Shack sells one that is on sale right now that does the APCO P25 phase 1 & 2 modes and will also get government freqs as well. I own the Uniden model BCD436 I believe are the numbers. The Uniden does it all, just program in your zip code and BAM your scanning freqs in your area/state. Its a bit pricey but it is a highly capable scanner. The RS is a good one as well and may be a little bit easier to program. I guess its just personal preference, but you can't go wrong with either one.
The Uniden HomePatrol I and II are about the best you can get, does the same as the BCD436HP and they can be mobile too, be prepared for price shock when you look at them and figure in a good outside antenna too.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld