Galaxy Pluto... Where do I begin?

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Galaxy Pluto... Where do I begin?

Post by sonoma »

after you get it going you should be able to find one that has the same layout so you can align it. the manual I have for the other radios is about the same layout also from looking at your pictures. same as the galaxy 88 is close to what you have. we should be able to find one that will work.
here is a operators manual I found for it. will show what freqs you should get.

http://cbradio.nl/galaxy/Manu ... to_ENG.pdf

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

take a look at this board lay out to what you have. well it says image uploaded but it is not coming over to the post.

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

ext/dmzx/imageupload/img-file ... ab6aae.png

this time it came over here. take a look at the board layout.

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I did a search on the board number and found on another site a guy used a 88 like I left you yesterday to align his radio. after looking at it closer the 88 looks about like what you have. should be able to use it to tune your radio since the guy used it for his to center the clarifier.

pabxone

Post by pabxone »

sonoma wrote: May 26th, 2017, 7:59 am I do not recognize the numbers in the middle of the board. maybe some one else will know.
That board is definitely the same as a SS3900 ( Super Star 3900) - I've just checked the part # in the pictures with a SS3900 on the bench here.
The PCB is a Ranger/Uniden clone EPT3600 - 10A

Be really careful soldering on these boards - they are a horrible PCB to rework and as others have said they are full of dry joints and bad soldering from the factory.

The problem with the PCB is the fibreglass is very thin and the copper tracks are likewise - they do not like being repaired.

You must use a decent temperature controlled soldering iron with the smallest tip you can get your hands on - A Hakko 936 or one of the cheap copies of the 936 is what you need to be using with a 900M-T-I tip.

Likewise for the de-soldering - it's best to be using a good de-soldering pump and not de-solder braid as too much heat will easily lift the PCB tracks and destroy them.
To be honest you really should be using a de-soldering station to work on those boards.

Lou Franklin's Galaxy Service manual is the definitive book to have nearby when working on this chassis - It pretty much covers the board fully and has all of the alignment information
alexm1968
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: 1968 Montreal

Post by alexm1968 »

The board number is on the solder side, front of the radio either on the left or right side you should see EPT360014B.
alexm1968
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: 1968 Montreal

Post by alexm1968 »

The board number is on the solder side, front of the radio either on the left or right side you should see EPT360014B.