Can't set stable DK

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: General Lee

Can't set stable DK

Post by Runaway »

I have a General Lee that I'm trying to match to my 2x4 amp, but the VR16 tuning pod is acting funny. When I key down and try setting the carrier to 200 watts it swings wildly from 50 watts to 300 watts and no in between. 300 watts is probably too high for the box. What can I do? Is the pod in the radio bad?
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Can't set stable DK

Post by sonoma »

at 300 watts is that the amp dead key? sounds like you are having a carrier match problem. are you setting the radio 1st on a dummy load or are you using a antenna? been a while since I did a general lee but does it have 3 power levels? set the high power to about 8 watts, med to about 4 or 5 and then low at about 2 watts. then see what the amp is doing in line on low power. if it only has 2 power levels set high 1st then set low power to 2 watts and see what the amp is doing.make sure your jumper and main coax connectors the ground is soldered inside the plug. running a amp you must have a good ground . you should never try to match a amp and radio on a antenna. you do not say what you are using to set this up with. the amp should dead key about 1/4 of the power on dead key and have the mic gain turned all the way down.. not sure what amp you are even using to match the radio with.
use the galaxy 33hp service manual to set the dead key with.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... ns_adj.htm
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

sonoma wrote:at 300 watts is that the amp dead key? sounds like you are having a carrier match problem. are you setting the radio 1st on a dummy load or are you using a antenna? been a while since I did a general lee but does it have 3 power levels? set the high power to about 8 watts, med to about 4 or 5 and then low at about 2 watts. then see what the amp is doing in line on low power. if it only has 2 power levels set high 1st then set low power to 2 watts and see what the amp is doing.make sure your jumper and main coax connectors the ground is soldered inside the plug. running a amp you must have a good ground . you should never try to match a amp and radio on a antenna. you do not say what you are using to set this up with. the amp should dead key about 1/4 of the power on dead key and have the mic gain turned all the way down.. not sure what amp you are even using to match the radio with.
use the galaxy 33hp service manual to set the dead key with.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... ns_adj.htm
Thanks for the reply. The radio just has two settings (high and low). I don't have a dummy load or any more sophisticated equipment, just a Workman 5000 tester that I'm trying to set as close as I can with a Predator 10k antenna. It's a DaveMade box (two 2290s driving four 2879s).. I've been doing this for years and it always worked and sounded good. Now I'm getting the erratic readings. I'm just trying to wing it, if you know what I mean. I know it's not the ideal way to do it but it is what it is. I keep my transmissions short when using the box, that's probably why it's lasted for a decade.. I use it in a big truck.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Turn the amp off and see if the power from the radio only can be adjusted smoothly. Then you'll know if it's the radio causing the problem.

If it's not the radio the amp may be oscillating at a certain power level. An oscilloscope is the best tool to see it but an swr meter can be a quick and dirty test.

Check your swr between the output of the amp and antenna as you increase the power. Depending on your meter you may have to recalibrate the meter each time you turn up the power and retest. If the swr jumps up sky high at the point where the power level spikes you have an amplifier problem. Different jumper lengths can sometimes stop the oscilation and make it play.

Dummy loads are good for bench testing and alignments. Setting up a radio to drive an external amplifier on the antenna it will be used on is the best way. Some issues will not show up when the transmitter is working into a 50 ohm non reactive load. If you want to set it up with the dummy load its usually fine but always retest it after the install.

-- Friday, 03 March 2017, 13:32 PM --

This is all assuming your antenna system is up to snuff. With a 2x4 amplifier id be willing to bet it's oscillation
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

543FtWorth wrote:Turn the amp off and see if the power from the radio only can be adjusted smoothly. Then you'll know if it's the radio causing the problem.

If it's not the radio the amp may be oscillating at a certain power level. An oscilloscope is the best tool to see it but an swr meter can be a quick and dirty test.

Check your swr between the output of the amp and antenna as you increase the power. Depending on your meter you may have to recalibrate the meter each time you turn up the power and retest. If the swr jumps up sky high at the point where the power level spikes you have an amplifier problem. Different jumper lengths can sometimes stop the oscilation and make it play.

Dummy loads are good for bench testing and alignments. Setting up a radio to drive an external amplifier on the antenna it will be used on is the best way. Some issues will not show up when the transmitter is working into a 50 ohm non reactive load. If you want to set it up with the dummy load its usually fine but always retest it after the install.

-- Friday, 03 March 2017, 13:32 PM --

This is all assuming your antenna system is up to snuff. With a 2x4 amplifier id be willing to bet it's oscillation
Ironic that I went and did exactly what you suggested then came back to report on what I discovered and saw you had said do just what I did. Even though the SWR gave a good reading I found that a coax was apparently bad. I usually make my own cables but having a hard time with the cable and ends I currently have. I have some Tramflex RG8X and some cheap 259s I got from ebay. I've went through about 50 feet and 3 pairs of 259s trying to make a good cable and still can't get a good one. I know I'm doing it right (getting it hot where the solder melts to the connector and not the iron). Is Tramflex coax any good? And the PL-259 connectors only have two slots to solder through rather than the four smaller holes all the way around. Could this cheap materials be the reason I can't suscessufly make a cable? I have always used Beldon cable and higher priced 259s in the past. Is that what its going to take? I can order some tonight.
Deleted User 14541

Are you making/buying bad cables or are different length jumpers making things happen that you don't quite understand? Even the cheapest truckstop coax will work fine with the power level you are using.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

543FtWorth wrote:Are you making/buying bad cables or are different length jumpers making things happen that you don't quite understand? Even the cheapest truckstop coax will work fine with the power level you are using.
I have some truck stop cables that I get good readings with, but are not long enough for me to install my setup properly. Just getting back into trucking after about 7 years. The stuff I have has been in boxes that long. I had about 50 foot of cable I wanted to put ends on and tuck it away neatly. The store bought cables aren't long enough and have them stretched across the cab to get good readings. Just need some good cables.
Deleted User 14541

So the cables you get good readings with are a different length than the ones the don't work? It really sounds like you have some antenna or amplifier issues that is being masked by certain lengths of coax and making you think you have a bad jumper. Happens a lot.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

543FtWorth wrote:So the cables you get good readings with are a different length than the ones the don't work? It really sounds like you have some antenna or amplifier issues that is being masked by certain lengths of coax and making you think you have a bad jumper. Happens a lot.
What do I do in that case, or how do I figure that out? Thanks for the help.
Deleted User 14541

Runaway wrote:
543FtWorth wrote:So the cables you get good readings with are a different length than the ones the don't work? It really sounds like you have some antenna or amplifier issues that is being masked by certain lengths of coax and making you think you have a bad jumper. Happens a lot.
What do I do in that case, or how do I figure that out? Thanks for the help.
What is the length and type of cable that works? Which jumper are you having trouble with? Is it the one between the radio and amp or amp and antenna?

Another thing is that a general lee is a strong radio. It will drive a straight 4 pill fine. A 2x4 is a finaky design and can be very unstable, I would have the 2 driver pills bypassed and use it as a 4 pill.