modern vehicles not radio friendly

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

modern vehicles not radio friendly

Post by army1975 »

Read an article that states that "Any vehicle manufactured in the last 15-20 years--and anything new--is packed with electronics--relays, microprocessors, switches, sensors, and the wiring harnesses connecting all this stuff. If you screw up one sensor, you could kill the engine and let yourself in for a big repair bill. Remember--a radio is going to be transmitting a relatively powerful signal. They may be enough radio frequency energy to cause real problems with automotive electronics is that energy gets into the wiring, sensors, microprocessors, etc., also vehicles with airbags, the airbags could explode open." My vehicle, a 2002 Buick Century, has all said stuff. I am installing the Galaxy DX-979, tuned and peaked, wiring it directly to the battery. Are there any danger of my vehicle being in danger of said stuff in article?
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: modern vehicles not radio friendly

Post by MDYoungblood »

I don't think you will have a problem, for one the airbags need a frontal collision to deploy, the sensor is electronic but only senses impact. There could be some ignition problems, I bought a 02 Chevy Malibu for my daughter to drive, (same car, same engine), and the slightly modded CB (E.F. Johnson Viking 4740) in it did just fine. It would be wise to add some bonding to the hood, trunk lid, etc. if none is present, make sure the wire connections are tight, especially to the throttle body, (found that was one problem with her car), the drain for the cowl was plugged and the interior would get wet, cleaned it out and ended that problem. I used a trunk lid antenna mount and the Hustler Hi-Q 27 center load antenna and the radio wired direct to the battery.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

No more power than what a Factory Galaxy 979 put's out, you'll be fine. Where you start to run into problems with Newer Vehicles is when you start adding Amplifiers to the mix...Once you start getting over the 400w mark, then you can start getting RFI issues with the cars electronics.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

army1975 wrote:Read an article that states that "Any vehicle manufactured in the last 15-20 years--and anything new--is packed with electronics--relays, microprocessors, switches, sensors, and the wiring harnesses connecting all this stuff. If you screw up one sensor, you could kill the engine and let yourself in for a big repair bill. Remember--a radio is going to be transmitting a relatively powerful signal. They may be enough radio frequency energy to cause real problems with automotive electronics is that energy gets into the wiring, sensors, microprocessors, etc., also vehicles with airbags, the airbags could explode open." My vehicle, a 2002 Buick Century, has all said stuff. I am installing the Galaxy DX-979, tuned and peaked, wiring it directly to the battery. Are there any danger of my vehicle being in danger of said stuff in article?
thanks for the info.

-- Monday, 12 December 2016, 18:00 PM --
jessejamesdallas wrote:No more power than what a Factory Galaxy 979 put's out, you'll be fine. Where you start to run into problems with Newer Vehicles is when you start adding Amplifiers to the mix...Once you start getting over the 400w mark, then you can start getting RFI issues with the cars electronics.
good to know. had me worried there for a New York year when read that. thanks for the info.. :cheers:

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

You can run a lot of power in a modern vehicle but you have to follow the rules. Proper antenna install, use a common mode choke of some kind, no hacked radios and use decent amplifiers that are not overdriven. Goes against everything some CBers stand for.

I used to have a lot of issues running a 4 pill. With a proper install I now run a 16 pill and do not bleed on the stereo. It took me a long time to see the light.
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

543FtWorth wrote:You can run a lot of power in a modern vehicle but you have to follow the rules. Proper antenna install, use a common mode choke of some kind, no hacked radios and use decent amplifiers that are not overdriven. Goes against everything some CBers stand for.

I used to have a lot of issues running a 4 pill. With a proper install I now run a 16 pill and do not bleed on the stereo. It took me a long time to see the light.
thanks for the info. but don't need no shoe for what I use the radio for. just tuned and peaked. mag. mount Wilson 5000 dead center on the roof of the vehicle. lol, when it comes to pills, only thing I know about pills is the 8 I have to take everyday.

443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

haha, dont worry Keith, Gm has to put that disclaimer in all their vehicles, :lol: :lol: :lol: and in CA it may cause cancer, :icon_rolleyes:
but if something did happen, dont let the govmnt know cause then they will either ban cb's or buicks :lol: :lol: :lol:
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

I have a ford c-max hybrid and im afraid to install a radio ,nothing much just a peaked and tweaked a little (10 ) watts) because of the electronics. Any body know of some one running a cb in a hybrid ?
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

443 Arizona wrote:haha, dont worry Keith, Gm has to put that disclaimer in all their vehicles, :lol: :lol: :lol: and in CA it may cause cancer, :icon_rolleyes:
but if something did happen, dont let the govmnt know cause then they will either ban cb's or buicks :lol: :lol: :lol:
man, took a load off my mind. had me all kind of worried. :biggrin:

Mr Bow Tie
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Mr Bow Tie »

I was also wondering about this. I'm looking at putting a Stryker SR-497-HPC in a 16 Silverado. Was also concerned about electronics on the truck.
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Post by milkman21218 »

295 antenna wrote:I have a ford c-max hybrid and im afraid to install a radio ,nothing much just a peaked and tweaked a little (10 ) watts) because of the electronics. Any body know of some one running a cb in a hybrid ?
3 of my Ham Radio Club have Toyota Prius which is a Hybrid. And they all have some type of radio in them. From 50watt FM VHF/UHF FM to a 100watt Yaesu FT-857 HF rig with no problems. So you should be just fine with a CB.
Central Maryland