High SWR on my Uniden PRO520XL w/ 4ft firestik II

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
JAXjeremy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

High SWR on my Uniden PRO520XL w/ 4ft firestik II

Post by JAXjeremy »

So glad I found this site. I've been using CB's for years, primarily while off roading to keep in touch with my buddies on the trail. Right now I'm having some trouble with the SWR on my new CB.

The CB is in my '92 Bronco, with a 4 ft firestik II antenna mounted to a bracket on the rear bumper and connected with standard coax.

My SWR readings are above 3 on 1, 19 and 40. I realize that is more than likely caused by a poor ground somewhere. Can't post a pic, but the antenna is mounted to a firestik dome mount which in turn is attached to the bumper via a welded on tab. I know it doesn't offer a very large plane, but it's the best option I have unless I try a magnetic base deal on the roof, but I'd like to avoid that.

Here is what I've checked so far, the coax isn't tightly wound any where, the bracket that the antenna base is on has good ground to the chassis. I have not tested the base of the antenna, or the coax for continuity, but I'm assuming that is where I should start next..

Any other suggestions, or am I on the right track?

Thanks.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: High SWR on my Uniden PRO520XL w/ 4ft firestik II

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello JAXjeremy,
Welcome to the forum. One problem I can see is the position on the antenna, being mounted to the bumper all it is seeing is metal body. The first thing you'll need to do is get the antenna on the roof or second choice would be a hood mount.
You won't be able to post any pics under after a grace period and an increase in post count, this is a safety factor built into the forum's program.
As a new member could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

check your mount and be sure you have the plastic washer in the right place...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
southwind

Post by southwind »

:bounce: Jeremy, welcome to the forum, tou will get some good information here from some of the best in the CB world. I must agree as MDY stated getting the antenna to the front in order to have some plane to radiate from. I don't know if your firestick has a tunable tip or not (remove the rubber tip) to verify. It gives you ability to make your antenna shorter or longer and compensate for SWR. Jump in often to keep us updated......... :cheers:

David g.
JAXjeremy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by JAXjeremy »

Realized I never update this thread. The issue was with how the antenna was attached to the mount. once I got that corrected and had the plastic washer in the right place I was able to get the SWR tuned perfectly.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

JAXjeremy wrote: February 16th, 2018, 7:15 am Realized I never update this thread. The issue was with how the antenna was attached to the mount. once I got that corrected and had the plastic washer in the right place I was able to get the SWR tuned perfectly.
Hahaha! guess I was right then...Reason I figured that might be the problem, was from first hand experience!

"Been there...Done that!" :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.