Golden Screw Driver Needs Help CPI 2000 base/Mobile

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
giboni
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Golden Screw Driver Needs Help CPI 2000 base/Mobile

Post by giboni »

:clown:

Thank you in advance for your time and reading my dribble. Where I live cannot have an antenna. So my mobile setup is my base.

Before I relate the radio issue. Let me list the tools I have. The parts I have ordered.

20 Mc 2yr old oscilliscope. Refurbished Precision RF signal generator. VTVM,VOM,DMM freq. Counter. ESR,HFE tester. Ordered a Curve Tracer.
Solder station & several solder Irons.

Have Sam Photofact #268 for CPI 400. Similar to CPI 2000 Base. The synthesiser board is the same.

Ordered good replacement Capacitors to recap the CPI 2000 synthesiser board. Similar to the original 10,000 Hr Caps were Pricey. Figure 2,000 Hr good enouph low leakage.

I have read repeatedly the theory of operation at CB tricks of my model.

Issue and Symptons.

Radio transmits on normal 40 ch at 20.300 MHz. Or so . Selector shows Chanel steps 1-40

and might change transmit frequency. Reads upper 40-79 & now transmits on 17.00 MHz

give or take100-600 KHZ.

Never read the low channels for me on the read out but transmitted on the low and received.

Now on low transmits- at 10.00 MHZ. -Normal 40 roughfly at 20Mc And upper at 17MC.

Now the receive is at 13.9785 and never changes as you turn the channel selector.

40,upper & lower. I have a rebuilt Precision E 200 C signal/audio generator. Flaky at

27 MHz output useable, but steady at 13.97585.

Obviously the issue is within the synthesiser board. What and how should I check what.

Has one of the oscilators failed? Comparator ? The symptons point what to check but it does not stir my brain on what to do.

I have a inexpensive freq counter that I hooked up to the aging Precision generator. Can hook up test leads to it.

The CPI has extra frequencies. Awesome on SSB skip with a Shure 527B noise cancelling mic. Excellent on AM.

It was my daily ride so to speak. I put my ARF 2001 in the mobile with an Inverter. But it is stock. No chanels. Shes getting old to and showing symptons. on 18 transmits on 19?

Any help appreciated. A walk through etc. Honest reasonable Techs hard to find. Figure I will learn to do it myself. Its cheaper to get another CPI 2000 except that they

are also in need of a recap, alighnment.

73s Best