Uniden 980 SSB beep mod

Need some help with a radio mod? Pop in and ask away.

Moderator: JR Moderator

1dollardean
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Uniden 980 SSB
Antenna: Max 2000
Name: Dean

Uniden 980 SSB beep mod

Post by 1dollardean » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 9:15 AM

I've seen the video on YouTube and fully understand which resistor to remove to stop the beep, what I don't understand is how to remove the resistor. Obviously in the video the guy had already unsoldered the resistor and just put it back on the solder pads where it made good enough contact to demo the beeps. I have never worked on a surface mount radio and just got back into CB after 30+ years. I don't even own a soldering iron. Would I be better off taking my 980 to a radio shop and have them remove the resistor or should I go ahead and buy a good soldering iron and do it myself. Sooner or later I will need to do my own work when possible but right now I'd hate to mess up my new 980. If I decide to take it to a radio shop does anyone here know of a good shop in the Dallas, TX area? Thanks for listening guys.

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: Uniden 980 SSB beep mod

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 10:06 AM

If you unsure of doing it yourself than it is best to get someone with experience to do it, it is real easy to mess up a radio. There are some members in the Dallas area that can tell you who to take it to. If you want to try use a low watt soldering iron and tweezers, get the iron really hot and just touch the solder on the PCB, lifting the resistor one side (not to high ,you might tear the copper on the board) at a time. Make sure the solder did not cross the PCB where the resistor was. It is a good idea to practice on a radio that you really don't care about.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

wi 544
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: several
Antenna: Gizmotchy
Name: jay

Post by wi 544 » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 10:13 AM

it is really easy with a small solder iron, just line it up and use a little pressure to lift it up one end at a time

1dollardean
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 1dollardean » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my post. I may indeed end up buying a good soldering iron and finding some junk surface mount pcbs to practice on. I'm also thinking that I could have a tech at one of the local electronics service shops, not necessarily a cb repair shop, remove the resistor. I've been looking but there doesn't seem to be any good cb repair shops in the Dallas area. Surely there are enough CBs in Dallas to support at least one good CB repair shop. Anyway I think I need to start collecting the tools and paraphernalia needed to do some work on my CB stuff. I remember my radio shack in the 60's and 70's. Much of it I built from kits or from plans. Times have changed but the need to do a little soldering from time to time hasn't. Thanks again for your help.

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by Night Crawler » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 12:09 PM

Use an exacto knife and cut it on the sides of the resistor.

1dollardean
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 1dollardean » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 12:34 PM

Night Crawler wrote:Use an exacto knife and cut it on the sides of the resistor.
I thought of that but I don't have a good blade for the job. I'm in dire need of many tools. I guess my poor abused credit card will have to be abused some more. :moneyeyes:

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 14:19 PM

1dollardean wrote:I thought of that but I don't have a good blade for the job.
Well break down and buy one they're only a couple of bucks.
It's cheaper then buying a soldering iron and it won't lift the SMT traces like the iron will if you don't have any experience working with them.

1dollardean
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 1dollardean » Sunday, 20 January 2013, 16:06 PM

Night Crawler wrote:Well break down and buy one they're only a couple of bucks. It's cheaper then buying a soldering iron and it won't lift the SMT traces like the iron will if you don't have any experience working with them.
You're right, I have it on my list. My resources are very limited and in the last two weeks I've bought a complete CB shack so I could get back into the game. A Uniden 980 SSB radio, Astatic Road Devil mic, Redman RM 2001 Watt & SWR meter, Pyramid PS8KX power supply, RM KL 2003 amp, Pyramid PS14KX power supply, Max 2000 antenna, and many misc items add up to an empty wallet but it's worth it. Where else could I meet someone who calls himself the "Night Crawler"? :icon_e_smile:

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Monday, 21 January 2013, 5:07 AM

1dollardean wrote: Where else could I meet someone who calls himself the "Night Crawler"? :icon_e_smile:
Night Crawlers was a special forces unit in Vietnam that I belonged to.

015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Mudduck Junk
Antenna: Coathanger
Name: REd

Post by 015reddog » Monday, 21 January 2013, 6:22 AM

Night Crawler wrote:
1dollardean wrote: Where else could I meet someone who calls himself the "Night Crawler"? :icon_e_smile:
Thank you sir for your service to your country.
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

1dollardean
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by 1dollardean » Monday, 21 January 2013, 6:48 AM

Night Crawler wrote:
As a member of that era, graduated high school in '66, I have nothing but respect for you and all who served in our military in war or in peacetime. I lost a few friends in 'Nam and had more than a few run-ins with the idiots stateside who obviously had no respect for anybody including themselves. You have chosen a noble handle, one that you earned. Thank you for your service and may you have a wonderful life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic