ANTENNA WARNING LIGHT QUESTION

Have some other technical questions can't find the answer for? Come in and ask them here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

deliman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Ron

ANTENNA WARNING LIGHT QUESTION

Post by deliman » Sunday, 12 June 2011, 12:42 PM

I noticed on my second 29LX , RETURNED, the problem of an antenna warning light coming on seems to happen and apparently happens on all the 29LXs. It seems like all radio test pass SWR 1.3 to 1, Battery Test Passes, and Power Test Passes, but the warning light still comes on even as you talk. It will come on and off in the middle of a transmission. I know Cobra gives instruction on how to re adjust the warning light sensitivity but why should it be changed? Is this really saying something is wrong or what? Input wanted Ron

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Re: ANTENNA WARNING LIGHT QUESTION

Post by 231 » Sunday, 12 June 2011, 22:52 PM

deliman wrote:I noticed on my second 29LX , RETURNED, the problem of an antenna warning light coming on seems to happen and apparently happens on all the 29LXs. It seems like all radio test pass SWR 1.3 to 1, Battery Test Passes, and Power Test Passes, but the warning light still comes on even as you talk. It will come on and off in the middle of a transmission. I know Cobra gives instruction on how to re adjust the warning light sensitivity but why should it be changed? Is this really saying something is wrong or what? Input wanted Ron
The answer I'd have is "possibly." All kinds of things can cause a change in the standing wave, the antenna moving for one. As it folds over when driving it comes closer to the counterpoise or reflective material(s) which can change the standing wave. So the only real way to tell for sure is to watch the standing wave and see if things are changing. If you have an external meter all the better, set it and watch it as you drive around and talk. You'll see where the threshold on your particular radio is set and simply go from there. Or, you'll see things all over the place which you'll know then it's telling you there is in fact a problem. You can either adjust it from there or not...the choice will be yours. If the standing wave is under 2:1 (or less) I'd probably adjust the light if it's not too difficult.

I've never had a radio that had that feature so I'm not sure what to tell you. Allot of guys never bother to tune their antenna and wonder why it's on. If you've tuned your antenna and are certain the standing wave isn't jumping around on you, then I'd say simply adjust it.

Hope that helps a little.

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Monday, 13 June 2011, 7:57 AM

deliman wrote:I noticed on my second 29LX , RETURNED, the problem of an antenna warning light coming on seems to happen and apparently happens on all the 29LXs. It seems like all radio test pass SWR 1.3 to 1, Battery Test Passes, and Power Test Passes, but the warning light still comes on even as you talk. It will come on and off in the middle of a transmission. I know Cobra gives instruction on how to re adjust the warning light sensitivity but why should it be changed? Is this really saying something is wrong or what? Input wanted Ron
Hi Ron,

Adjust the AWI warning indicator located in the right rear of the radio. Trust your SWR meter on the radio. This happens to radios that are turned up in power. The early Cobra GTL/LTD did not have this problem. The Chinese 29 LTDs, and chassis' like the LX, requires the adjustment to be turned down.

I have provided a link to some photos. The adjustment is the one right next to the antenna connector between the Final Heat-sink and the power plug. It is white in this particular photo. The photo is of the inside; it is the left bottom photo. There is nothing wrong with your radio; it is a combination of tuning up your radio and quality control.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_11019.html

Good luck

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

deliman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by deliman » Monday, 13 June 2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Will try the new Wilson 1000 antenna and than make adjustments. Ron
TheCBDoctor wrote:
Hi Ron,

Adjust the AWI warning indicator located in the right rear of the radio. Trust your SWR meter on the radio. This happens to radios that are turned up in power. The early Cobra GTL/LTD did not have this problem. The Chinese 29 LTDs, and chassis' like the LX, requires the adjustment to be turned down.

I have provided a link to some photos. The adjustment is the one right next to the antenna connector between the Final Heat-sink and the power plug. It is white in this particular photo. The photo is of the inside; it is the left bottom photo. There is nothing wrong with your radio; it is a combination of tuning up your radio and quality control.

Good luck

Respectfully,

deliman
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by deliman » Monday, 13 June 2011, 15:02 PM

Sounds like you know your stuff. I think I'm just gonna make an antenna warning adjustment as you said once I try the new Wilson 1000. Now here is another tech question. The CB is connected to + and - for power. The - is the ground and is connected to the ground of the car. After checking I find the antenna cable outside is connected to the case of the CB and all screws in the outside on the case are connected to the outside (ground) of the antenna cable. Why isn't the case grounded to the vehicle if the set is connected to the ground negative at the power connector? Cobra says to ground the case if its not on the bracket which should be grounded or screwed into the car body or ground. I am not using a bracket and have the set velcroed into an area so the case is not grounded. Would this make a difference with the antenna? See Cobra's email below

Cobra's email
"Roof racks tend to throw the SWR readings off.... The constant
fluctuation of the SWR indicates there is poor ground to the radio... If
its not mounted onto a metal bracket, attach an additional piece of wire
to it and run the wire to a screw where there is a good ground.That will
improve the erratic readings..... Keep the antenna in the center of the
roof for best performance".
Thanks again Ron
The Doctor wrote:
Hi Ron,

Adjust the AWI warning indicator located in the right rear of the radio. Trust your SWR meter on the radio. This happens to radios that are turned up in power. The early Cobra GTL/LTD did not have this problem. The Chinese 29 LTD, and chassis' like the LX, requires the adjustment to be turned down.

Good luck

Respectfully,

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 13 June 2011, 15:49 PM

Hi deliman,
Your last post answered your question. Since you have velcro holding the radio, you should install a ground wire to the case. I am surprised that Cobra added that in the email. If you look at a magnet mount, there isn't an electrical ground to the body except for the shield of the coax but there is a magnet ground which isn't very efficient. The ground wire to the case in turn helps the antennas ground.

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX