WELCOME TO THE NEW CBRT FORUM!

Fatboy 900 1x4 showing backward swing

Have some other technical questions can't find the answer for? Come in and ask them here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Oldskool
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: Jim johnson
Home Phone: 6093776910

Fatboy 900 1x4 showing backward swing

Post by Oldskool » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 19:33 PM

HELP .... SUGGESTIONS .... I recently purchased Fatboy 900 1x4 amp for mobile. Running it in diesel truck with dual batts and 4 gauge (fused) wire, grounded to body and chasis from the amp. Galaxy DX44 tx is about 3-4 watts deadkey swinging to 35-38 watts (variable only adjusts low end which I placed all the way down.) SHowing output as approx. 300 watts deadkey ... swing to about 600. I'm not a big believer in "swing" but key'd down with friend who has same amp ... he's showing about 125 deadkey and swing of +/- 800. They can hear us both but my friend seems to have the upper hand when it comes to being heard. The only thing I can figure is that the extra 200 watts "swing" must be giving him the edge. I'm thinking my Galaxy DX44 may be overdriving amp at top end (swing of 35-38 watts.) I'd really like to get this straightened out .... I've heard of some people getting 900 watts swing out of these amps and understand this may be with increased voltage which I don't have. Suggestions? Comments? What am I doing wrong. Really concerned that when others are receiving me they say I'm swinging backwards on their meter (receive) when my meter says I'm swinging forward watts.

Thanx in advance for any assistance. Jim
Eighty3flh@aol.com

Donor
Donor

Re: Fatboy 900 1x4 showing backward swing

Post by 626 » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 20:31 PM

That amp will "swing" more with a lower DK setting on your radio. Your amp is starting at 300 watts and his is starting at 125. Both have the same capability just his has more headroom to swing. Set your Deadkey at about 1.5 your amp will perform well within its intended parameters.

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Saturday, 17 April 2010, 21:54 PM

drop your deadkey from radio down to 1.5 to 2 watts and mic gain up all the way
varaible on amp all the way to the right
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Oldskool
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: Jim johnson
Home Phone: 6093776910

Post by Oldskool » Sunday, 18 April 2010, 15:00 PM

Thanx . . . everyone is saying to drop my dead key down to 1.5-2watts. I can do that ... what I want to know is how the top end on my radio (swing on modified dual final radio-swings to about 35-38 watts) will affect the swing on the amp. Dropping the dead key.... will this increase swing on the amp ... to say like 800+ watt .... OR something like that? Next time I key down with my buddy I want to kick his ....well ya know. :-) Thanx much. :icon_e_smile:

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Sunday, 18 April 2010, 19:09 PM

Oldskool wrote:Thanx . . . everyone is saying to drop my dead key down to 1.5-2watts. I can do that ... what I want to know is how the top end on my radio (swing on modified dual final radio-swings to about 35-38 watts) will affect the swing on the amp. Dropping the dead key.... will this increase swing on the amp ... to say like 800+ watt .... OR something like that? Next time I key down with my buddy I want to kick his ....well ya know. :-) Thanx much. :icon_e_smile:

before you can do that you will hav eto have a a antenna system and coax and grounding that is almost 100%
then comes the radio setup
then will come the amp and it has to be setup correctly if not you will get your lips handed to you

freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by freightliner06 » Monday, 19 April 2010, 5:38 AM

You have a Galaxy 44v which is a single final radio unless you did or had a dual conversion done to it. Far too much drive into the driver section of that box. Cobra 29 with PROPER variable will kill that box all day. You may need to check your ground on the box and make sure you have a good ground and that those batteries are supplying enough juice to the unit and that the juice is actually making it to the box. Less is more, let the box do the work. That's why you have a driver in that box. If you overdrive the box it might make more power but you're going to sound like crap. Listen to channel 6 if you wanna hear some of the worst sounding radios and overdriven amps. I guess as long as it is blaring loud, it doesn't actually need to sound good or be intelligible. Don't obsess with numbers or you'll drive yourself insane, just talk on it and enjoy it as long as it sounds good. Most of these class C's are harmonic garbage anyway, spewing out bogus watts and ruining every piece of electronic gear within a 10 mile radius.

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Monday, 19 April 2010, 18:32 PM

i used a galaxy 66 into a fat boy 1x4 for the longest. it wasnt being over driven. good clean audio on the other end. me personally keep the dk low and let it swing to potential. ground ground ground everything. low swr is a must.

what kind of radio does your friend run??

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Monday, 19 April 2010, 19:51 PM

freightliner06 wrote:You have a Galaxy 44v which is a single final radio unless you did or had a dual conversion done to it. Far too much drive into the driver section of that box. Cobra 29 with PROPER variable will kill that box all day. You may need to check your ground on the box and make sure you have a good ground and that those batteries are supplying enough juice to the unit and that the juice is actually making it to the box. Less is more, let the box do the work. That's why you have a driver in that box. If you overdrive the box it might make more power but you're going to sound like crap. Listen to channel 6 if you wanna hear some of the worst sounding radios and overdriven amps. I guess as long as it is blaring loud, it doesn't actually need to sound good or be intelligible. Don't obsess with numbers or you'll drive yourself insane, just talk on it and enjoy it as long as it sounds good. Most of these class C's are harmonic garbage anyway, spewing out bogus watts and ruining every piece of electronic gear within a 10 mile radius.

not everyone on channel 6 has the worst sounding radios
i run al ltube audio and run it smooth and clean

some might have a bad tune up and someone did a miss alighnment on the receive and even in dx and local the overpower siganl can overload the front end making it sound overdriven and blarring

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Monday, 19 April 2010, 19:57 PM

thats a good possibility

freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by freightliner06 » Tuesday, 20 April 2010, 11:36 AM

Channel 6 with the exception of a few, sounds like total garbage. I think people are so used to hearing bad sounding radios that their impression of good is, well.... Not good! Cb radio is not known for great audio quality in the first place. Throw in bad quality amps, cut limiters and hack boxes and you're in for a real treat.

Dragline;
The OP stated that he had or has what sounds like a modified 44v because in a later post he stated it was dual final. The 44v is NOT a dual final out of the box so unless this is a typo then my above statement still applies. If you ran your 66, which is a single final, this would be why you sounded ok.

As for blaring and distorted and misaligned rx. It doesn't matter on the radio type, shape, color, age, new or used, tuned or stock... 98% sound like crap. A brand new radio out of the box will still have many on channel 6 sounding blaring and distorted and that is simply because they are. It has nothing to do with a misaligned RX, it has everything to do with the operator and equipment used.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by 'Doc » Wednesday, 21 April 2010, 3:08 AM

Some good advice so far.
I think the most pertinent advice so far has been that the typical stock radio will drive a typical "stock" (no such thing, but...) amplifier just fine with no modifications. The max -input power- of an amplifier isn't rated in 'dead key' or carrier power, but in maximums, as in 'swing', total power of a modulated signal. If that amplifier has a 'driver' stage, it requires even less power to get max usable power out of it. Over driving an amplifier never produces anything usable, unless you are more interested in big numbers rather than 'usable'.
I've never heard of anything being damaged by 'under driving' an amplifier. You certainly can't say that about 'over driving' an amplifier, that's what typically 'kills' most of them! (You can get huge increases in power by feeding a diesel engine hi-octane gasoline. The 'catch' is that you won't get that 'huge' power increase for very long before you have to replace the engine. Sounds a lot like what happens with amplifiers, doesn't it?)
- 'Doc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic