Maxon MCB-30

Have some other technical questions can't find the answer for? Come in and ask them here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

chefjaeger
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: Maxon MCB 30
Name: Michael

Maxon MCB-30

Post by chefjaeger » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 1:34 AM

I am currently running a Maxon MCB-30 radio with mini 8 coaxial cable to a 5 foot firestick 2 antenna. The problem is the unit powers up but I hear nothing, just a click when I key it. I check the grounding of the antenna, the continuity and now am lost. This seems like something is wrong with the radio I was planning on hooking it up to an external speaker should I start their or since I have to go to the shop anyways just have them look at it?

Also is the tuning of the radio really important I am having a hard time finding a SWR meter that I can rent and I really would rather not buy one if I can get by right now without a purchase.

Thanks everyone

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Re: Maxon MCB-30

Post by 231 » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 5:58 AM

Could be a few things, but usually the antenna system is the place to make sure things are right first. Exactly how did you "ground your antenna?"

The antenna itself is only half of the antenna system which is insulated from the vehicle (and mount) completely...usually with plastic or nylon bushing(s). So the antenna itself is not really grounded, it's insulated from ground. The center lead of the coax goes to it.

The vehicle is the other half of the antenna...or "counterpoise" (aka "ground"). The shield of the coax goes to it. So, when we say "grounded the antenna,' we typically mean grounded where the coax shielding, mount assembly, and vehicle all come together to make the vehicle the "counterpoise." It is a very common mistake to hook this part up wrong. And hooked up wrong usually means a dead short, so check that out first.

And yes, tuning the antenna is important. But if the rest is done incorrectly, you'll never be able to tune it anyway. So first things first.

Hope that helps a little.

chefjaeger
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by chefjaeger » Wednesday, 28 October 2009, 8:26 AM

Quick up date- I plugged in a pair of headphones and got static when the squelch was at the bare min. on all channels. I did have alternator wine so I move the neg wire to the battery like the pos wire. The anntenna is properly install I check the continuity and it was indefinate when touch to the center and the outside below the mount. As far as grounded I thought that I was properly ground but I have decided that if I have time today I will run a wire from the headache rack to the frame to be sure. I think that the bigget problem other then the possible ground issue is that the radio speaker is mostly dead. I will continue to update once I fix the ground and speaker issue. Thanks for the help.

chefjaeger
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by chefjaeger » Saturday, 14 November 2009, 3:29 AM

Finally I got answer, I took the radio in and everything else is fine except the radio receiver is dead, since this was a free maxon I and going to keep it to play with dissect and learn on while waiting to procure a new radio I am think a galaxy 959 SSB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic