cobra 18 ultra w/weather wont work but wx does

Have some other technical questions can't find the answer for? Come in and ask them here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

zigzag05
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Rickey
Home Phone: 9897252728

cobra 18 ultra w/weather wont work but wx does

Post by zigzag05 » Sunday, 11 October 2009, 16:42 PM

I have a cobra 18 with weather, the cb doesnt work at all but the weather does, does anyone have any ideas of what I can check to get it to work, or should I just junk it, my problem is I just hate to junk a radio even if it is a small one like the cobra 18. Please help me bring this one back to life.
THANKS SAPPHIRE GIRL

alhefner
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Galaxy 979
Name: Al Hefner

Re: cobra 18 ultra w/weather wont work but wx does

Post by alhefner » Monday, 12 October 2009, 16:41 PM

Well, by "doesn't work" just what have you tried so far?

Here is what I would do in checking out a radio:

1. Find someone with a known good radio
2. Get that friend to transmit from a short distance away (100 feet at least) and see if I can receive their transmission.
3. Hook a SWR / POWER meter to the radio and check the SWR. If the SWR meter deflects during the calibration process, you at least have a carrier transmitting.
4. If you are transmitting (SWR METER still hooked up) tune the antenna for best SWR.
5. Have friend with known good radio go a short distance off. Place SWR / POWER meter up to measure power.
6. Transmit something to see if the friend can copy your transmission AND watch the power meter to see how much power you are putting out.

With that, you should be able to tell if you can receive or transmit or if the CB portion of the radio is simply dead all the way around.

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Monday, 12 October 2009, 22:42 PM

Hi alhefner

That is way too much work for a Cobra 18. I would suggest buying a Cobra 29 LTD when they have a rebate. They go for $70.

Just my 2 cents,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alhefner
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by alhefner » Tuesday, 13 October 2009, 9:11 AM

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi alhefner

That is way too much work for a Cobra 18. I would suggest buying a Cobra 29 LTD when they have a rebate. They go for $70.

Just my 2 cents,
But, but, but.....troubleshooting is FUN! :bounce:

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Tuesday, 13 October 2009, 11:48 AM

Hi alhefner

Troubleshooting is fun, I wish I had the time to do more. I have three kids 4 to 10 years-old and have just stop changing diapers 6 months ago. :icon_e_smile: I did not realize that I have been changing diapers for nearly 9 years until just a few months ago. Now I can concentrate on radio again.

I had to draw the line on what I was fixing. I used to make an attempt to fix everything from VCRs to CB radios. I used to make $125 to fix a VCR now I can buy 4 of them and get change back. I no longer repair my own cars. I pay others to get dirty, but it was fun when my back was able to bend over for more than a couple of hours without breaking.

Now I concentrate on fixing the Cobra 2000 GTL and other 8719 chassis. I will go back to the mobile exports as soon as my shop reopens. The Cobra 18 weather is not worthy enough to be a wheel chuck and is too light for an anchor. I don't think it is heavy enough to be used as a weapon. :lol:

No disrespect to the owner, zigzag05, but for the cost I would get a better radio.

Always respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zigzag05
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Rickey
Home Phone: 9897252728

Post by zigzag05 » Tuesday, 13 October 2009, 18:53 PM

yeah it is fun and learning how to do it and work on them is fun also, it is not my main radio , i use a magnum s-680 , this is just a tinker toy for me,,,LOL...
SAPPHIRE GIRL

alhefner
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by alhefner » Wednesday, 14 October 2009, 6:17 AM

TheCBDoctor wrote: The Cobra 18 weather is not worthy enough to be a wheel chuck and is too light for an anchor. I don't think it is heavy enough to be used as a weapon. :lol:
Well, if ya leave it connected to the 18' of high quality coax that came with that 19" base loaded mag mount whip and swing it real hard.... :mrgreen:

MoJo
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 68, TR 696FD1
Home Phone: 2314211186
Referrals: 1

Post by MoJo » Wednesday, 14 October 2009, 8:09 AM

How about a Uniden....

They have rebates right now and are super cheap at MoJo's...

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor » Wednesday, 14 October 2009, 9:35 AM

Hi MoJo

I would recommend the Uniden 78. It is 99% the same as a Cobra 29 LTD but with better quality control.

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic