Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by linearone »

my favorite is a wilson 5000 for a good all around daily driver antenna
Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...
Big_Kahuna
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Big Kahuna
Antenna: Wilson

Post by Big_Kahuna »

Think I'll try one of those 55 R-4 and compare it to my P10K!!!
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: MysteryMan
Antenna: SIGMA 4
Radio: YAESU FT-857 / A 1972 Cobra 148 GTL

Post by MysteryMan »

One of my favorite topics. But I have been out of this for to long. I don't know half of the antennas mentioned to vote on.
I will say because I am off road so much that the Wilson would be the better choice.

That being said, The Amazer Co-Phase I setup on my Toyota PU in the 70's was the best I have ever used. Nothing could compare. Currently I use Antenex or Laird antennas mostly. Either 1/4 or 5/8 wav. It's mostly all Ham usage.

If I could find an original Sigma 4 I would use it on the house.

In 1979 to 1981 we built and used a full wav antenna from a 5/8 ground plane and a sigma 4. Holy crud that was unstable as hell in the wind but it work very well.

In 1990 I think it was we built a 3 element 11-10M Gizmotchy beam. I have a picture, trying to find it.
That work very well. We made it to come apart and drive to a location and use it mounted in the back of my PU.

If you would really like some fun get a very large balloon with long rope, attach an antenna to it and let it go up as far as it will go. You get some height not matter were you are. A friend of mine does this for DXing with a small Blimp up to 600 feet. He has a wench for the blimp.

That is my 3 cents.
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Tractor Guy
Antenna: Ground Plane
Radio: President Washington

Post by tractor guy »

What would you guys recommend for my truck? I don't necessarily need a name brand just a type. I just want to know if there is something out there that will show a marked improvement over the 4' fiberglass I have on there now.

It is mounted on an angle from a mirror mount. Running bare footed for now, but I would like to put a foot warmer under the seat eventually. 3~400 watt maybe.......

Thanks
Joe
1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Question:

Do you go under low branches or fast food take a ways?

What I am getting at is the baning the antenna will encounter. I shattered many of fiberglass Thick Sticks and a couple of Amazers and some center coils over the years.

From your answer you will have better suggestions.

~Steve
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Tractor Guy
Antenna: Ground Plane
Radio: President Washington

Post by tractor guy »

Most of the fat food places around here don't have a full awning. PLus the truck is so wide I barely fit anyway, so I don't think that will be a problem. I haven't hit any trees at speed that I know of. I might have brushed a few easing into a driveway or barn lot. Parking garages are a b*&ch with just about anything up high.

Thanks for the reply

Joe
1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

I think your best best is to use one of the Wilson antennas mounted to the center of your cab. For the cost the W-500 might be your best bet and the 1k will be an upgrade so it dose not get warm with the 400w you might run threw it one day. You can also buy the small spring for it if needed. Oh, it's up to you if you use the permanent mount or the mag mount. Better RF coupling with the permanent mount. They both work similar. With the Mag just make sure you have clean paint.

If you choose to use a whip buy the DXE-WP-102. Goggle it and you will read why I recommend that one. If you really like to DX I would see if you can find an old Amazer (Grey). Not the Black, white or orange ones! Yes, there is a difference.

Below is just for reading of Pro's and Con's for antenna type and placements.

Part of your issue is that you have a PU. The radiation pattern is split between the bed and the cab. It is all connected by wires and maybe a screw or two but that does not make a good RF connection or pattern. Some people like to connect the cab, bed and frame all together with ground straps. I have no personal trials with that so I have no comment how affective that is.

My personal experience is if you use a whip on a PU then make it a Co-Phase in the bed with two ball mounts about 8 inches down from the lip of the bed and 6 to 8" in from the sides. That being said, their is a theory on the correct separation for proper Co-phase. If the coax connections are less than 3/4 of an inch from the cab then loosen the bed bolts and pull the bed away from the cab.

Problem: you have that Steel frame mounted in the bed and that wont work for the duel Whip. So, with that in mind pass on the Co-phase. Don't mount an antenna to that steel frame because of the nasty radiation pattern it will have and it will you wont like it if you like to do DX-ing. Around town it will be fine.

Ok, I think I said my partial piece on this. Enough to get you going anyway.

~Steve
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

A few things you need to know when building the Co-Phase system.

Spacing of the antennas in a dual antenna installation will have an affect on the radiation pattern of the antennas. Technically, spacing between the antennas should be nine feet to have the most balanced pattern. If that distance cannot be achieved, you will still receive most of the benefits of a dual antenna set-up. However, spacing less than five feet may require some special tuning skills in order to achieve satisfactory SWR readings. It’s just best not to go under 6 feet so you don’t need to be very creative in tuning. Anywhere from 7.5 feet to 9 feet is ok. Try and stay above 8 feet if you can.

Ensure you use a good co-phase harness designed for 27MHz CB Radio. These are usually two lengths of 75 ohm coax joined to form a single 50 ohm connection to your transceiver. Keeping the two feeder lengths exactly the same length is very important.

Build your own. So, two lengths of RG-59A/U at 6 to 8 feet each that join to RG-8X of 6 to 8 feet will work fine.

Now, if running lots of power you might want to upgrade the RG-59. Oh, if you don’t like the RG stuff, use the LMR coax. LMR is very good. Oh, use silver connectors, it will help.

One other thing; Make sure when you are tuning the system you use a good meter with a reflected power range so you can see the reflected power back into the radio.
I use a Bird or Diamond meters. MFJ’s are good too I just prefer the others.

Also, put the meter box at the junction not at the radio end. The best tuning point for all Transmitters is at the closest point to the antenna not the radio. Make sure you have a clean RF connection when you mount the antennas.

I think I have covered everything you need to know.

Have Fun and take your time.

~Steve
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor
Radio: Any radio I want.

Post by Pro-Tech »

I've never noticed this thread before. Whoever set up the poll left out Bad Boy and Skip Shooter. They must have never talked to any ducks in or from the South. 8)
FTRDX
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by FTRDX »

Jesse,
Your feedback on the new 10K Comps ?
Some play them down pretty hard,yet Im finding very good results from mine (mirror mounted/Freightliner)
SWwwwERRRS right on 1.2
CACTUSFLOWER
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 1000

Post by CACTUSFLOWER »

For price and performance I like the Wilson 5000. :cheers: I've used a lot of different antennas 102"whips,quad wound,oil filled and others except for the 10k. I haven't tried the 10k it's kind of out of my price range. :moneyeyes:
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST TOUGH PEOPLE DO
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy959&cobra

Post by Capndave »

For the base antenna Ive always used a antron 99 with ground plane kit,as for the mobile all must bow to the mighty wilson!!! :pirat:
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

I refuse to bow to an antenna that is not American made with an American name. How can we keep sending American dollars over seas as business as usual. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Just stop the flow just one percent and you may save 10,000 American jobs. Think of that the next time you reach out for a Wilson, Francis, Firestick, 102, Hustler, etc...... If our industry can set an example, other types of U.S. industries may not fade away. 8)
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

I go with what works for me,no matter what it is.you show me a radio that is made by americans hands only,in this hobby youve contributed to another country in some way or another.
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

This is thread is about antennas. I'm sure there is a thread abuot what happend to American made radios on a forum some where. It would be ashame in the future that there is a post on "What happend to American made CB antennas?". All these years Americans have been investing in other countries at the cash register and now it's finally catching up to them. Sure companies like AIG took us over the edge. But every day Americans allow money to flow out of the country and containers to pile up in our ports. We got more cars and containers than ever sitting waiting for more money to flow out before they can finally go to the consumer. Only Americans can get us out of this mess. And choices of where your money goes is still disappearing every day and night. If I would have known or could afford to buy Wilson when Barjan did. I would have saved that company like I did for Skip Shooter. And thank God an American bought the rights to MACO and didn't contract out to Mexico or China. There are people out there willing to put there money where there mouth is and save bits and pieces of CB American history. I could go for profit only and contract out myself and triple my profits. But that would effect 8 different vendors and they all have an impact of the economy. These people have families like us, and need to pay thier bills like us. So please the next time you look at your Wilson, or notice a Francis on a big truck. Know there is a bigger picture that effects all of us. We back out reading the mail. 8)
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Point taken,I here ya man,10-10 on the side :pirat:
cougar
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by cougar »

I have 2 base antana,s up in the air 1 is a A-99 the other is a I-max 2000 both have 1.2 swr,s and to my opinion the A-99 out does the I-max on transmit and recive
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

Ive said that myself but there are all kinds of opinions on that matter,ive retired my pc 122 and got my hands on some real gear,modern ,more power,we'll just see how my new A-99 does now.The other one was taken down in a ice storm this past winter,but I just got my new one and I'm going to rig it better ,higher,the A-99 is a good antenna! :pirat:
the_junkie

Post by the_junkie »

i agree that buying american made is a good thing...my 55's are american made...

HOWEVER...i think it's wrong for any company to make someone feel guilty for buying a good product not made in America...but last i knew...

http://www.***New Sponsor https://blitzradios.com/ ***.co ... barjan.htm

barjan, an AMERICAN company, based here in Illinois, owns and manufactures the Wilson Antenna line
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

I have a wilson 200 silver load and that is a nice inexpensive antenna,It tunes in great and i can talk very far away with good reports. :pirat:
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

To begin with the duck said to bow to the antenna and I told him what bowing to the antenna synbolizes. Bar Jan is American owned but they contract out the making of thier products. Even if they did assemble thier antennas here the parts would still be made in China. Your link didn't prove they were made in the USA. Just the history of Wilson's fate. If that is your idea of an American success story than go to your local GM dealership and let them read the link.
djrebel236

Post by djrebel236 »

Wilson Antennas are made in America...Dj
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

What's the twenty on the Wilson Antenna factory?
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

East moline Illinois U.S.A :pirat:
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

Did you google for this information or did you ask Bar-Jan?