Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by jessejamesdallas »

bluemeanie wrote:Hi
Just love stirring the pot. They are not robust, you cant bash off trees and the like and requires a solid mount but the best mobile antenna I have ever used is the Lightning GR45. I'm a sidebander and a skipshooter. They have a takeoff angle like a beam. Look at the specs. Have talked to some big dogs that rum em.
Once again JMHO.
Blue
http://www.lightningantennas.com/mobile/
I was wanting to give the GR45 a try, since I have one of Lightnings L4's already and no complaints what so ever with it...My only problem with the GR45 is your really going to be limited as to what and where you can mount something like that, on a every-day ride...

At 4.5 feet tall, if it was on a roof, you would have to be very careful what you drove under since there's no whip. But I have herd that design works real well for DX.

-- December 04 2015, 20:50 PM --
MDYoungblood wrote:This topic was started back on Oct 20, 2005 and is still running, got a lot of antenna ideas going here too. It's ashamed that a lot of the old pics aren't working anymore.
Hey blue, I've seen recently that antenna on a locals 2000 GMC Yukon, there is two so I'm guessing they are co-phased antenna.

I made this post on Nov 02, 2012,
MDYoungblood wrote:
MDYoungblood wrote:I have always liked a 102" whip on the back left corner of my pickup. I had to make a bracket to mount the ball on my 04 Dodge Ram so as not to drill a hole in the fender. That location keeps the coax as far away from the noise source as possible. The height to the tip is 13' 9 1/2"s exactly. I never hit any power lines but have taken down some fluorescent light covers and bulbs at a local gas station. The locals call my truck "Tree Trimmer". The swr's, I got it at 1.1 to 1 on ch 19 sitting still and do go up slightly at 80 mph, 1.6 to 1, (checked this using another person) but not enough to damage a radio. I am looking for a mount that fits inside the stake hole made by (don't think I can say) but the website states they are no longer making them do to prolong illness. This mount makes a cleaner looking installation.
73's
Made that post over 2 years ago and it is still working today.

3's

Greg
To date not much has changed here, still trying to get a base antenna on the roof, got a couple of ground mounted antennas up and working, in the spring will be installing a screwdriver antenna on the pickup.

3's

Greg
Yep, not much has changed since 2005...I stated back then I ran the Predator 10K antenna, and thought it was the best thing since White bread...And still run the Predator 10K, and still think it's the best thing since White Bread! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:Yep, not much has changed since 2005...I stated back then I ran the Predator 10K antenna, and thought it was the best thing since White bread...And still run the Predator 10K, and still think it's the best thing since White Bread! :mrgreen:
I gave my 10k a rest and have been running a 6ft skipshooter. I haven't burned it up yet, it seems quieter on RX and can't tell a difference on TX. I still like the made in Texas Predator 10k and Kale's machine work is top notch, but the fiberglass is holding its own.
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

Yea was heartbroken. Walked out one Saturday morning and my GR45 was missing. The cheap little puck mount came apart and my antenna was gone. Came off on the way home. In the spring when I start leaving the car out again will get another is a great antenna \. Was much quieter than anything else in the car
Blue
roadrunner9
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: 4 Element beam
Radio: Galaxy

Post by roadrunner9 »

I am new to this club and i must say that i am reading things i never knew. Like a coil antenna that will work better than a full length 1/4 wave whip. Anyways i would love to see your antenna patterns that prove that a coil antenna works better than a full wave 102 stainless steel antenna.
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Post by The DB »

roadrunner9 wrote:Like a coil antenna that will work better than a full length 1/4 wave whip.
I wouldn't put much stock in that. If you see this happen, the first thing to do is find out what was wrong with the 1/4 wavelength antenna.
roadrunner9 wrote:Anyways i would love to see your antenna patterns that prove that a coil antenna works better than a full wave 102 stainless steel antenna.
In another thread on this forum http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... =5&t=47631, I show graphs of what happens as you shorten an antenna with loading coils using both base and top loads. These were modeled on an SUV object I made to the dimensions of my Ford Explorer. They cover radiation efficiency, gain (as is typically presented) and surface wave strength (local contact) charts.

The DB
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Captain Crunch
Call Sign: 530
Antenna: Predator 10K 27in Shaft
Radio: Anytone AT-6666

Post by 530 »

Don't go with the Wilsons even if they win. All the others have tested better eff.
lightning293
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: 293
Call Sign: KH6KU
Antenna: RF Ltd BIC12
Radio: Cobra 25 LTD

Post by lightning293 »

Well it seems it's more like a Wilson 5000 or 102" Whip world more than anything else. I have yet to find an antenna that beats the 102" whip for overall performance, price and durability. I still have mine since 1995 and it never failed me yet. The only antenna I ever found comes close to this whip, is the RF Limited BIC12 Ultimate Penetrator which is my everyday antenna, not the ones you normally would have seen on mobiles before, or the tram copy-cats out there now, this one only came out for a limited time and looks way different!
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

lightning293 wrote:Well it seems it's more like a Wilson 5000 or 102" Whip world more than anything else. I have yet to find an antenna that beats the 102" whip for overall performance, price and durability. I still have mine since 1995 and it never failed me yet. The only antenna I ever found comes close to this whip, is the RF Limited BIC12 Ultimate Penetrator which is my everyday antenna, not the ones you normally would have seen on mobiles before, or the tram copy-cats out there now, this one only came out for a limited time and looks way different!
yepper, nary had no problem a tall with the Wilson myself. did switch to the Sirio 5000 on my lil pick'em up truck just to see if any difference. couldn't tell no difference myself in the performance. ain't gots no radio at this time due to rollin my lil truck but if Lord willing to keep me above ground, planning on getting another Galaxy DX-979 come spring to put in the car I have that has replaced my truck. luckily still have my Wilson 5000 antenna, the Sirio was destroyed in the rollover. hopefully back on the air soon.
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!

Post by 51 »

hahaha, super old thread i know, but i think Predator 10k and Fatboy r6 (ie:55) antennas are the tops out there for the most part
Hefalcon
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: hefalcon
Antenna: L shaped Dipole

Post by Hefalcon »

Tram WSP3500 mag mount antenna! Works great and quality tuning section.