need new antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
rlh
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: cartoon man
Radio: DX949

need new antenna

Post by rlh »

Well, my Francis Amazer finally bit the dust ...... Since they no longer make 102/96 inch whip I am thinking about getting a 7' skipshooter.... what do you all think? It's mounted on the front bed rail in back of the driver using a breedlove mount,

thank you,
CarToon Man
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: need new antenna

Post by 295 antenna »

This is the review I saw.

http://www.thetruckersreport. ... as.111354/

-- Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 13:13 PM --

how ever i found this

HUSTLER IC56 102" STAINLESS STEEL CB RADIO WHIP ANTENNA WITH WELDED STUD AND STATIC BALL

-- Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 13:14 PM --

I cant post the website due to the rule but im sure you can look it up or maybe one of the sponsors here can get this antenna for you
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

if you are saying they do not make the 102 inch steel whip any more it is still available at a lot of places. I bought one just about a month ago. it is setting in my garage until it warms up a little and I get time to put it on. even the 6 inch springs are still available. bought 2 about the same time since the seller had them in a lot of 2 for sale.
just did a quick search and saw one for 42.00 shipped. if you search more than likely can find one a little cheaper. mine I paid 28.00 shipped when I bought it
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

No they don't make the Francis Amazer anymore but you can still find a 102" SS whip like the others said. I have a 7' Skipshooter and it took a lot of abuse, I'm using a SS whip now. I have my mount located about the same place as you.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
rlh
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by rlh »

thank you all, I don't like the SS, doesn't work for me in my application. I like fiberglass better .....
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If your Francis antenna still has good SWR but the fiberglass is degrading you could always use a length of shrink tube to recover it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Post by 231 »

The Skipshooter that used to be made worked VERY well...but to my knowledge that antenna hasn't been made in at least 5+ years now? Love to hear someone else is making them again I'd buy one just to have.

Another you might try is the SOT-5' if CB World still has any. It's not quite as good as the SOTT-5' or 5' Skipshooter but still top loaded and will handle quite a bit of wattage. I have a few of them myself and they work okay. Not sure why the SS whip won't work for you, if the Amazer will it should too.

Not allot of choices these days for linear or top loaded like we used to have. The Amazer is linear loaded but indeed was a great performer...in my view the best Francis ever made.

Good luck.

Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Someone is producing the skipshooter now. I don't know if it is the same manufacturer but the antennas work fine.

I ran a 6 foot on a puck mount for about 2 years. I found a 7 foot skipshooter about 6 months ago and installed it. I couldn't manage to burn either one up with a 2x16. I cant say I noticed any performance loss or gain vs the predator 10k.

The 6 foot made more wind noise than the predator believe it or not. The 7 foot is much quieter. Probably not an issue for anyone that isn't using a roof mount though.
rlh
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by rlh »

Thank you all for the input. The fiberglass has hit way too many tree limbs so it's more than degrading, has some chunks missing. Every time I use an SS mounted close to cab like I have it, it is always hitting the cab and taking the paint off .... I could use the ball trick I guess but haven't, besides they do lean back on the hi way. I did have an SOTT-5', loved the antenna but this one did not like power. Not sure if they are still around, haven't looked. I thought I would try the skipshooter, if it doesn't work out then I will have to go to the SS or maybe a predator 10k. I loved my Amazer, wish they still made them .... oh well

thanks,

Ross
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

rlh wrote:Thank you all for the input. The fiberglass has hit way too many tree limbs so it's more than degrading, has some chunks missing. Every time I use an SS mounted close to cab like I have it, it is always hitting the cab and taking the paint off .... I could use the ball trick I guess but haven't, besides they do lean back on the hi way. I did have an SOTT-5', loved the antenna but this one did not like power. Not sure if they are still around, haven't looked. I thought I would try the skipshooter, if it doesn't work out then I will have to go to the SS or maybe a predator 10k. I loved my Amazer, wish they still made them .... oh well

thanks,

Ross
Mounting the antenna on the top rail behind the cab, "If" you went with a Predator 10K, you would need to get the one with a 27" shaft to get the coil above the cab...If your always whacking tree limbs, as long as it's just the stinger whacking limbs, you should be "OK"...But if you manage to hit the antenna itself, it doesn't take much to snap a Predator 10K off at the mount...

Just a friendly "FYI"... I love my 10K's, but I have a good collection of broken shafts too. :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
rlh
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by rlh »

Thanks JJD, I would be a little concerned with the 10k for that reason. The SOTT 5' I had worked really well 'til I put about 300 watts to it, SWR went through the roof. Without power it stayed about 1:2 1, not sure why it went between 2:75 1 and 3:0 to 1. my Amazer always stayed at 1:2 to 1, all channels, with and without power....

CarToon Man (ross)

-- January 22 2017 --

JJD, could you tig weld them together?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

rlh wrote:Thanks JJD, I would be a little concerned with the 10k for that reason. The SOTT 5' I had worked really well 'til I put about 300 watts to it, SWR went through the roof. Without power it stayed about 1:2 1, not sure why it went between 2:75 1 and 3:0 to 1. my Amazer always stayed at 1:2 to 1, all channels, with and without power....

CarToon Man (ross)

-- January 22 2017 --

JJD, could you tig weld them together?
Never tried to weld one, so don't know...Thing maybe too thin to weld on without just melting the thing...But you can re-tap the inside and just screw another plug inside...All you loose is about a inch in height. Kale has re-tapped several for me...Or just buy another lower shaft, they unscrew from the coil...Think a new shaft runs between $10 and $20 depending on which one you order.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.