I picked a Wilson Li'l will for it's size

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
daytime dave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: gardner

I picked a Wilson Li'l will for it's size

Post by daytime dave »

I picked a Wilson Li'l will for it's size. I wanted a magnetic mount for the roof of the truck going out the back window center slider. I had a magnetic mounted antenna on the rig before. It was one I purchased a long time ago at a real cb shop. The shop is long gone and I knew the Wilson name.

I don't know anything about antennas. I'm using it for a peaked and tuned Cobra 29 lx. I don't talk a lot as much as I listen to pass the time. Was the Wilson a decent choice?
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Re: I picked a Wilson Li'l will for it's size

Post by DevilDog66 »

Yes, IMHO Wilson and Sirio antennas are the best out there. I had A Lil Will myself and it did pretty well for a short magnet mount. You will probably do better since you have it on top of your trucks roof, thats a bit taller than on top of a sedan roof. Make sure you adjust your SWR as low as it can go, but be advised those short antennas 4ft and under don't like to tune all that well, if you can get it to tune between 1.3 and 1.6 your doing pretty good. If you ever want to make longer contacts and recv better, height is might. I used to run a K40 which was a realy good antenna but now I run a Sirio 5000 magnet mount on my roof. No matter what though, have fun with your radio! 73's & Semper Fi! :cheers:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
daytime dave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by daytime dave »

Thanks for the information DevilDog66. I'm eager to learn. I checked the SWR and it seemed to be pretty low. Since the whip is removeable, I suppose I could put a longer whip in. If I did, it would be better?
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

daytime dave wrote:Thanks for the information DevilDog66. I'm eager to learn. I checked the SWR and it seemed to be pretty low. Since the whip is removeable, I suppose I could put a longer whip in. If I did, it would be better?
It would, but you have to make sure the diameter of the whip will fit that lil will mount, also to consider the longer it is, the more wind resistance on the whip, therefore the lil will magnet may not hold it to the vehicle. Also to consider is objects striking the whip. It really all depends on how far you want to talk and recv. Alot of people will use a linear amp set up with at least a 5ft antenna. As I've said I use a Sirio 5000 which is about 6.5 ft if I'm not mistaken, and an RM Italy KL-203, my SWR's are 1.2:1 maybe a tick under. I live in a big city/suburban enviroment and get out anywhere from 10-15 miles on AM. Depending on what area you live in, you might get out possibly 3-5 miles on the Lil Will, if the radio was peaked and tuned properly you may get out 1 or 2 more miles, but, it also depends on weather as well. Browse the forums here on CBRT there is a wealth of info on antenna set ups and power amplifiers etc....thats how I started to learn, but I've got a long way to go. The members here are very helpful too, don't be afraid to ask questions. 73's :basketball:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
daytime dave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by daytime dave »

DevilDog66 wrote: Browse the forums here on CBRT there is a wealth of info on antenna set ups and power amplifiers etc....thats how started to learn, but I've got a long way to go.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm pretty sure the peak and tune was done properly. I did some research on the internet. I bought the radio from a guy in Carlisle PA who was well rated on the internet from several people.

Right now I'm researching what linear amps are and what they do. I had previously known more of this stuff, but it faded from memory. I hope it's a quick curve getting back into it. I appreciate your help! :!:
Some days I'm Andy..............most days I'm Barney
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

Don't worry about it, its like riding a bike! I was into CB back in the late 80's early 90's but had to put it down in '96 and picked it back up again in 2015 and its still fun. I finished the ARRL Technician Class License book and taking practice exams till I can test at my local HAM radio club on the 10th of December. Already have my radio purchased and being shipped as I type! So, I'll be delving not only in 11 meter but the ameture bands as well like 10m, 2m and 70cm etc.... :lol:
daytime dave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by daytime dave »

Good luck with your test. I've only ever had cb radios. A few acquaintances had ham radios, but I had enough to do just keeping track of the cb radio. I was going through different sections here and found the 101 sections that kind of explain a lot of things.

If I had found this site before needing a new cb, I would have looked at the sponsor vendors here. I did purchase my Li'l will from one of the sponsors here and it was a great transaction. They will get my business whenever I get something else!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Little Wil isn't a bad antenna but it is compromised by length, the SWR in good through only a few channels before the curve sweeps up drastically. If it was bought new the whip is already long (made that way because of unknown applications) so it's no need to locate a longer one plus the load section is only designed to use that length whip, a longer one will just detune the antenna more. It will work for you for now but I see an upgrade in your future.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
daytime dave
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by daytime dave »

Thanks Greg. That's the type of experience and knowledge I'm trying to get up to speed on. I thank you and Guy for being so nice and patient as I learn and relearn.

I will have to research here for a while before I upgrade. Thanks for the reply and information.

-- Sunday, 04 December 2016, 19:28 PM --

It didn't take as long as I thought to upgrade. I got a Sirio 5000 antennae and a Uniden 980 to get SSb. I had SSb on my base, but after the move, momma said no to the base antenna.

Wow, that Sirio is talllllllllllllllll. On the roof of the truck it's tallllllllll. I was able to hear plenty more conversation with very little hiss. It's a big antenna and I haven't even driven any where's with it on the roof. The upgrade to SSb looks promising too. Thanks for the push in the right direction DevilDog66.