Mount for Acura MDX SUV

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
TrblShooter

Mount for Acura MDX SUV

Post by TrblShooter »

Whats going on guys.. Wondering if anyone could recommend a good mount for my sirio turbo 5000 pl antenna on my Acura suv? I purchased the magnet mount for the sirio but not sure that is going to be the best way to go.. I do not want to drill any holes into my suv, I keep my vehicles in pristine condition.. So besides the magnet mount , what kind of mount can I use for my suv, and where should I mount the antenna.. I was looking at the diamond k400 and it says trunk or hatch mount.. Not sure where I would put that, maybe on the side of the hatch door?? I also need a mount that is going to handle some power, maybe 1000 watts on the high side, not sure what I am going to run yet, but I need it to at least handle that kind of power.. I want a good mount so I do not mind spending the money on one.. I also do not have to go with the sirio antenna either, if you guys have a better antenna to use, then I will buy another antenna if I have to.. I figured though the sirio turbo 5000 would not be an eye sore on my vehicle, over say a predator 10k.. Any help and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated on the best setup... Thanks guys...
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Mount for Acura MDX SUV

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Diamond K400 would be the way to go, will have to mounted on the corner of the hatch because when opening the top lip drops below the roofline. You will need the SO-239 antenna mount version and should work well with the Sirio antennas. If planning 1K I hope you do your research on RF inside the computer and other circuits in the vehicle, it could stop it dead in it's tracks not to mention the charging system would need a big time upgrade.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

MDYoungblood wrote:The Diamond K400 would be the way to go, will have to mounted on the corner of the hatch because when opening the top lip drops below the roofline. You will need the SO-239 antenna mount version and should work well with the Sirio antennas. If planning 1K I hope you do your research on RF inside the computer and other circuits in the vehicle, it could stop it dead in it's tracks not to mention the charging system would need a big time upgrade.

3's

Greg
I hear that... Not sure which way to go... Maybe I will drill a hole and mount it, I was doing a little research and saw a few pics of damage to the car with the diamond 400 mount.. Maybe I will just set up another base station and forget the mobile.. Lol. Or I could just go with the sirio magnet mount and run a small kicker, dx400 or dx500 maybe .. I will have to make a decision one way or the other or I will never get back up an running. Thanks Greg for the feedback, much appreciated as always...

Pete
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think sivlereagle1 did a nice install here, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... lvereagle1 , check it out.

3's

Greg

TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

MDYoungblood wrote:I think sivlereagle1 did a nice install here, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... lvereagle1 , check it out.

3's

Greg

Just looked at the install and pics.. Thats exactly where I would put mine and he has the same antenna as me.. The only thing thats w PIA is the headliner.. I do not want to mess that up.. I saw you responded to his post about the headliner as well.. My suv is fairly new so I do not want to mess up the car.. I am going to sit on this idea for a bit... Nothing is ever easy.. Thanks Greg...
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I went to the upholstery shop and had mine removed because I wanted to install 3 antenna mounts and a support plate under each so I needed the whole headliner removed. On your vehicle it would be just the back like his, I believe there is a dome light right there too. I would find an upholstery shop and ask about reinstalling it after you do the antenna, they have the tools to pull it tight if needed. There is a bunch of YouTube's on removing the headliners but most are not vehicle specific.

3's

Greg

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

The Suzuki is retired now. I just bought a new Versa and moved all my gear over a few weeks ago. Now All my antennas are trunk mounted unlike the Suzuki. I hole drilled the roof in two places on the Suzuki 32 inches apart.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by silvereagle1 on April 18th, 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

I have some helpful information regarding the compatibility between Diamond and Sirio.....
I bought one of the K400 mounts from diamond. I tried to use the sirio antennas on it but The sirio antenna won't work with the k400 (UHF) threads for some reason. Too tight. It will screw on about two turns then that's it. Too tight to turn. The Sirio Thread pattern is different or is smaller than Diamond thread pattern although both are considered universal UHF mounts. Now with that said, The diamond UHF monoband antennas will work on the sirio mounts BUT is very very loose on the sirio mounts. They wobble as you screw them on. They will tighten up but only after they bottom out which puts pressure on the threads. There is extra room around the threads so it wouldn't take much to overtighten and damage either the antenna or the uhf connector.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee