Base Antennas Set-up

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
RIVER RAT 52
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Base Antennas Set-up

Post by RIVER RAT 52 »

I could use some advice about my planned antenna set-up. This spring I want to install a antenna, looking at the Imax 2000, and I would like to know what advantage I get from a ground plane kit, or should I sink a 2" x 10 ft. pole in the ground and work from there. Also, I have a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner, can I attach it's antenna to the same pole as the Imax 2000.:?: Would like to go with the Scanner Master Diamond Super Discone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tweetybird
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Tweetybird
Antenna: Max 2000
Radio: 2517 /2995

Re: Base Antennas Set-up

Post by Tweetybird »

I run the IMAX for about 7 months before installing the GPK. It was like putting up a different antenna, the noise is gone and got rid the TVI. I too have Scanner antenna's but have them on a different tower, I wouldn't install a scanner below the IMAX if was me. The GPK did raise the SWR not worth adjusting, 1.2 versus 1.1 SWR. You will pros and cons with the GPK but it worked for me.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Some people notice an improvement with the GPK and some don't. My opinion is that if you're going to spend the money on an imax plus a GPK you should buy an aluminum ground plane like the maco v58, maco v5000, penetrator 500 or similar. For the same if not less money you get a better antenna.
KP68
Donor
Donor
Handle: KP68
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily 80meter sky loop
Radio: Apache Labs ANAN 7000DLE MKii

Post by KP68 »

I don't know what your situation is with space requirements/restrictions, but if there is no issue, I would undoubtedly go with an aluminum ground plane. Whatever antenna you do go with, if you have the choice of power handling capability of two models, for instance like the V5/8 or V5000, I would spend a little bit more for the antenna with the higher wattage rating. If one thing holds true for most CBer's is that whatever power you are running now, it isn't enough. This leaves room for future station upgrades.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Also might look at the sirio vector 4000 or even the sirio 827. I am currently using the vector 4K and it rocks! Have had some bad weather and very high winds of 25+mph sustained for over 3 days straight and antenna is still as it was when first put up. Just want to mention this as some think this is a flimsy antenna, and it will blow around no doubt, but no more than most other antennas that are of the same height or near the same height. Aluminum all the way. Keep the fiberglass for fishing poles and boats!! JMHO.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I agree with everyone about a metal antenna. I did install a Imax 2000, (new ones are just Max 2000), had it on a 20ft push up mast, also tried the GPK and saw no improvement. It came down and I install my 40yo Avanti Sigma II, world of difference, it's a metal antenna for me.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
RIVER RAT 52
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Post by RIVER RAT 52 »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll start looking for an aluminum antenna. No issues here with space/requirements/restrictions .I will be mounting it near the house and can secure it to the eave. Will that be a problem?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Fastening to the eve isn't a problem as long as at least one of the lag bolts hit a stud, best if all fasteners get into studs. Add another mount about half way down the mast if possible. A mast going from antenna to the ground is best but if it's roof mounted then a hefty ground wire down to a good earth ground is needed. You'll find plenty of info about this in the topics.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
WDVLRDIO
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Lurker
Radio: General Lee

Post by WDVLRDIO »

Thanks for the preferences and info. I too am in the market for a base antenna and I was looking into the imax 2000.
cheetah 1
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by cheetah 1 »

From all of the reviews that I've read about Mr. Coily's Excalibur .64 base it sounds like a great antenna...if you're willing to pay $550. This is my next antenna!
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

It is a heavy duty well built antenna. Don't expect it to perform much differently than any other 5/8 wave antenna. They say 8db gain compared to other types and ratings but what does that even mean? Maybe an a99, imax, firestick....who knows.

The .64 wavelength thing makes it about 6 inches longer. You've got enough material to stretch any 5/8 antenna to .64 if that's what you want. A 5/8 antenna is a 5/8 antenna. If you want to make it as efficient as possible you use a low loss matching device. Think about using a 102 whip on the mobile vs a coiled antenna. :icon_e_wink:

Edit:
You can stretch any 5/8 antenna to .64 if the matching device is adjustable. Something like a p500 you would not be able to without other modifications.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

$550 is a lot of money to spend on a vertical antenna. .64w or not. Is the gain really that much better vs. a 5/8th wave antenna. Just scratching my head over how much the price difference is between antennas here is all. I mean the shockwave isn't cheap, but $550 is a lot of loot for a vertical antenna!! Maybe they are worth every penny, but I would research the benefits vs the cost before I pulled the trigger on something like this. JMHO.