102" whip mounts

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Fry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX-949
Antenna: 102" whip
Name: Fry

102" whip mounts

Post by Fry » Monday, 14 February 2011, 12:12 PM

I'm going to be putting a 102" whip on my Jeep in a month or two (when it warms up). I'm going to mount it with a tailight mount. That being said can anyone suggest a mount thats durable? Also should I use a spring? Or just go straight whip? Ideally, (if its even possible) I'd like to be able to bend the antenna down so I can fit the jeep in the garage.

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Re: 102" whip mounts

Post by hilltop 439 » Monday, 14 February 2011, 14:37 PM

I am not sure if there is any certain mount that is best it all depends on your situation and location of the install. I use a ss 102 inch whip but mine is mounted on the roof with a trimagnet rig . I would definitly use a six inch sping on the whip for two reasons . First to help it be flexible so low lying obstacles wont tear it off . Second is to give you a quarter wavelenght antenna 108 inches .
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra
Referrals: 1

Post by 231 » Monday, 14 February 2011, 15:02 PM

First off the TeraFlex behind the tail light mount is very strong. However, plan on running an additional ground strap from the mount to the chassis for a good counterpoise connection. Secondly, all you'll need from there is a good stud assembly.

This is the one I'd suggest you get.

Stay away from the Firestik Fire-ring or this stud assembly. The stud with SO-239 can (and does) compress internally with the weight of the antenna movement over time. Eventually it'll quit all together and/or fall apart...I've seen it first hand. On a lighter antenna it's not a problem, but I'd never consider using one with a 102" whip.

From there it's pretty straightforward. I personally run a swivel ball mount on my '02 TJ without any issues. Had I known about the TeraFlex behind the tail light mount I would have gone that route. But I'd never consider running the 102" whip offroad either. Many OHV parks and clubs have banned anything over a 5' whip because too many spotters and bystanders where getting hit with them going through obstacles.

Best of luck.

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Monday, 14 February 2011, 21:30 PM

Several years ago I followed 231's example and put a ball mount on the rear corner of my Jeep. I have been trying to improve on it ever since. I developed my puck mount design to be as heavy duty as possible. Funny, I developed a mount that i cant use on my favorite ride. This brings me to my new design.

I have just given my CNC guy the prototype for my Jeep mount. If you still havent gotten a mount for your Jeep when I post the pics let me know. The mount will bolt to the sheet metal above the taillight. It will be the toughest mount on the market for a Jeep. It is for a puck mount. Even if it is not your cup of tea, it will be an option for you. The mount is two weeks from being available.

Fry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Fry » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 12:31 PM

I should have looked at my jeeps taillight a little closer. I have a 2003 Jeep libert, the taillights are too rounded to put a bracket under it. HOWEVER, I did find a better option. I decided to get away from the 102" whip. I'm going to go with a 5 or 6 foot fiberglass firestik and use this mount; FireStik MK184R to mount it to the hood. I ran across another liberty owner on another forum that did it, and it looked pretty sweet.

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 13:38 PM

oh good i make mine for wranglers

420Snowman
Donor
Donor
Radio: Snowman Built 29
Antenna: Shockwave
Name: DJ

Post by 420Snowman » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 17:50 PM

I dont think you will be happy with the firestick, at least not as happy as you will be with the 102. I would consider **NON-SPONSOR**'s mount when its done and stay with your 102 initial idea as its the standard for good mobile antennas.

Snowman
Rolling the Snowman Built Gateway Mobile
16 pill Snowman Built
Snowman Built Cobra 29 LX
Davemade coil stabbed in the roof

Fry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Fry » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 19:41 PM

Well, since I have a Jeep Liberty **NON-SPONSOR**'s mount doesn't really apply. I was going to construct a bracket to put on the spare tire holder to hold an antenna stud off to the side so I can still get my window to pop open in the back. The hood mount is much easier for me (no need to construct brackets) and the hole's in the firewall are very very easy to get to. Do you see any problem with a 102 inch whip mounted on my hood?

^^^ that is how I want to set up my liberty. The bracket I meantioned earlier will allow me to do that...I just don't know if a 102 inch whip in that location is a good idea.

Bigmic919
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Bigmic919 » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 20:05 PM

If yours has that roof rack like that one I would fab up a mount on it and put that 102 with a spring up there. I run a 102 mounted on top of my truck and I got good ears. Smacks the heck outta stuff but for the money I cant really see changing it.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 20:46 PM

Will it work mounted on the front of the vehicle? Sure, just like if it was mounted on the back of the vehicle. I would suggest you make that mounting bracket sort of 'hefty'! There's a lot of 'strain' put on that bracket with any antenna the size of a 102" whip.
- 'Doc

Fry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Fry » Tuesday, 15 February 2011, 21:19 PM

'Doc wrote:Will it work mounted on the front of the vehicle? Sure, just like if it was mounted on the back of the vehicle. I would suggest you make that mounting bracket sort of 'hefty'! There's a lot of 'strain' put on that bracket with any antenna the size of a 102" whip.
- 'Doc
What do you think of this mount: FireStik MK184R

It can be found on CB world.

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Wednesday, 16 February 2011, 1:04 AM

I think that mount would be sort of 'marginal' for a 102" whip. I'm familiar with it, I've used one with smaller antennas than a typical 102" whip with no problems. I think it you doubled it's 'thickness' it would do fine though. And then that brings up what you are going to bolt that mount -to-. I sort of have doubts about a couple of sheet metal screws being enough to hold the thing firmly.
- 'Doc

That 'Fire Ring' thingy I have no experience with but have heard 'not good' stories about them. You're on your own with them.

Fry
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Fry » Thursday, 17 February 2011, 23:04 PM

I'm going to go with the 102" whip and I'm going to construct a heavy duty bracket that will bolt to the spare tire holder. It's really hard to explain but I'll take pictures when I'm done and post them. Maybe it will help other Jeep Liberty owners.

Bigmic919
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Bigmic919 » Friday, 18 February 2011, 5:51 AM

That will work. I had mine mounted behind the cab when I first put it on until I got the roof mount. I will see if I can get some pics up later.

White Lightning
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD Chrome
Antenna: 102' SS Whip
Name: Clayton
Referrals: 5

Post by White Lightning » Monday, 21 February 2011, 14:53 PM

Fry wrote:I'm going to go with the 102" whip and I'm going to construct a heavy duty bracket that will bolt to the spare tire holder. It's really hard to explain but I'll take pictures when I'm done and post them. Maybe it will help other Jeep Liberty owners.
Good deal you will have no regreats by going with a 102
2009 Silverado Ext Cab
Cobra 29 LTD Chrome 102' SS Whip

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic