Pipe tower?

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Okie
Donor
Donor

Pipe tower?

Post by Okie »

I have some 30' joints of thick wall 4" oilfield pipe. Was thinking of making a 60' or 90' tower out of it. Any advice on bracing,base,etc?
'Doc

Re: Pipe tower?

Post by 'Doc »

I think I would figure on some really heavy duty guying, probably at each 'joint'. Or, use three of them to make a 'fold/tilt' over 40 footer. Two planted well i the ground and the third swinging between them. A 35 gallon drum full of water ought'a counter balance that swinging arm with an antenna mounted on top of it. Put two 'taps' on that drum, one top and one on the bottom, attach a garden hose to each with a turn-off and have a hydraulically raised/lowered 40 - 45 foot mast.
- 'Doc

Or, you could just mail three of those pipes to me and I'll do it! Will take pictures. And probably paint the thing pink... holding my breath in anticipation!
Tobin
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Androx
Call Sign: 9TC02
Antenna: A99
Radio: Ranger 2995DXCF

Post by Tobin »

And did I mention Doc that you are funny too??? It is just great to have a chuckle from time to time. The thing is, I find it in all sorts of funny places and it happens right outta the blue.....

Good stuff Doc... Please keep it coming!
Base station: Ranger 2995DXCF
Antenna: Antron 99

VIVAT JESUS ~ Jesus Lives
HomerBB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Homer, 2WR183, Country Preacher
Call Sign: K5HBB
Radio: IC-746

Post by HomerBB »

I agree with Doc on all points, with one exception. Send the pipe to me instead of him.
The tip over tower is a great idea, and at one time I was going to use the exact hydraulic system he referred to for my tower. I went with a crank instead. If you want to get it 60 - 90 feet tall you need to weld them together at each collar, if you don't you'll have them breaking apart at each joint. You've got to guy the pipe/mast like Doc said.

Pink . . . .
It's Not Crazy, If It Works
The 11 Meters MacGyver