would a groud plane help

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: wilson 1000
Radio: cobra 29ltd chrome

would a groud plane help

Post by LilRodbuster »

i have a w1000 mag on van would the ground plane attachment help, do I need it or what would be the benefit of having it.

looking for suggestion,s you know to get a stronger signal not that I am complain just looking for input

thanks for all the help in advance every one is great for help in all areas
Every Day is a new day make it better then the last
With prayer all is possible
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: would a groud plane help

Post by Sheriff Bart »

if properly grounded the van is all the groundplane you would need...that's why roof mount and any direct mount antenna will outperform a magnet mount...the groundplane kits for magnetmounts are snake oil gimmicks, IMHO and IME.

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
Radio 75

Post by Radio 75 »

The Sheriff is wise, take head! :icon_e_geek:

You will be better served by permanently mounting that antenna. (or any antenna for that matter)
The top of a van is a wonderful ground plane already. (that's why I have two antennas permanently mounted on mine)
I mounted mine in the locations of dome lights, worked perfectly!
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by LilRodbuster »

Thanks for the input, not going to permanently mount on van but will when i get a truck next year tho
when you speak of van being grounded what would i look for to check

I hardly get any motor whine in radio it's there but as soon as i turn the vol up you can not hear it so to explain better when you turn it on you hear it then with no sq as soon as you here static noise it overpowers any whine
Radio 75

Post by Radio 75 »

LilRodbuster wrote:Thanks for the input, not going to permanently mount on van but will when i get a truck next year tho
when you speak of van being grounded what would i look for to check

I hardly get any motor whine in radio it's there but as soon as i turn the vol up you can not hear it so to explain better when you turn it on you hear it then with no sq as soon as you here static noise it overpowers any whine
You are confusing DC ground (like the black wire on your battery/electrical connections) and RF ground.
(i.e. ground plane)
That big, flat, metal roof on your van is taking place of say, the 3 or 4 ground radials on a typical "ground plane" type base antenna. Your van roof is acting as a counterpoise for the antenna. Just like the ground side of a dipole actually.
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

when the antenna is permanently mounted the base is connected directly and electrically to the body of the vehicle establishing a "ground plane". Once that is done you can make the ground plane stronger by attaching ground straps at all the points that are hinged like doors and trunk lids and hoods. There are lots of threads here on the forum if you use the search function.

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

LilRodbuster wrote:i have a w1000 mag on van would the ground plane attachment help, do I need it or what would be the benefit of having it.
The only one that it would benefit is manufacturer and dealer by putting a few extra bucks in their pockets.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

The 'groundplane' isn't just the flat part of the roof of a vehicle, but all of the metal in that vehicle, AND the 'dirt' under that vehicle. That vehicle and dirt/concrete/whatever have a relationship just like a mag-mount and the metal you sit it on, a capacitive sort of 'connection'. The antenna and the vehicle make up the whole antenna, it's not just the whip thingy you put on that vehicle. That's one reason why sometimes, when you drive over something that has metal in it, a bridge for instance, you can hear a difference in what you are listening to on the radio, stronger/weaker. That's because of how that vehicle couples with the dirt/whatever under it, changes the 'size' of the antenna to some extent. Lots of things affect that 'coupling' so it's almost never constant, it changes all the time. So, while it does make a difference, it isn't going to be controllable much.
How'z'at for 'complicating' things just a little bit more?? :)
- 'Doc
Delivery Man
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 25ltd/ 29ltd/

Post by Delivery Man »

save your money , I purchase one a week ago hopeing for all the claims it said it would do for my wilson 1000 rm and was very disappointed. It did not lower my swr any it actually raised it 1 point recieve wasn't any better either, it look cool, but I'm more of funtion over looks. Hey, anybody will try anything once!
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by LilRodbuster »

Thanks Delivery Man but I was not going to buy one just wondered sorry you found out the way you did