Max watts through a 102" whip

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

wifi
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Galaxy DX-959
Name: Operator 929
Home Phone: 27.385 LSB

Max watts through a 102" whip

Post by wifi » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 16:29 PM

I have run a few different antennas in my "day" but I always go back to my 102" whip. I love my 1/4 wave antenna.For laughing purposes, yes my car looks like a RC car.I should of somehow incorporated that into my handle.My receive is great and I am not sure to credit my Galaxy or the whip for the good recieve but Ill credit the whip. But a question for food for thought. I always wondered how many watts you could run through a 102" whip. I am not a key down guy nor am I well versed but max watts through a whip? Hmm I wonder. Any body heard some hearsay, theory or experience?
https://sites.google.com/site/kb3scy/
WiFi in the Mobile -http://www.youtube.com/mobilewifi
Whiskey Indigo Foxtrot Indigo - Bringing you Mobile WIreless FIdelity broadcast's. Good evening, good evening ....good evening.More coffee!
Get yourself a cup of coffee and forget about it!
SSB - 314 Mobile

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: Max watts through a 102" whip

Post by 'Doc » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 17:02 PM

Just depends on the mount. Making that static ball on the tip larger wouldn't hurt. For most people, it'll handle more than you'll ever be able to feed it.
- 'Doc

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 17:34 PM

A general consensus I've heard from several over the years is somewhere in the 5000-7000 watt range, but I've never seen that verified myself.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 18:34 PM

Generally, it isn't the size of the conductor, but the size/quality of the insulators used that determine max power. I wouldn't make a guess as to the maximum a typical 102" whip could handle, but I'll bet it's more than I'll ever think about using.
- 'Doc

Secret Squirrel
Donor
Donor
Radio: K40 CB '80s style
Name: Joe Husk

Post by Secret Squirrel » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 20:36 PM

Go by the rating of the coax. You will burn the coax before you burn the stainless steel whip.
Secret Squirrel

"Talking to the USA from my old pappy's CB"

Texas Mobil 219
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 78

Post by Texas Mobil 219 » Saturday, 12 September 2009, 21:58 PM

Secret Squirrel wrote:Go by the rating of the coax. You will burn the coax before you burn the stainless steel whip.
Lightning is the max. Melts it real good.
219 Swinging on 108'' in Texas. NO SPRINGS AND ALL STAINLESS. MFJ-1966
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
Send your signal to the world

mudpuppy
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29 / 102 Whip
Name: Mark Fick

Post by mudpuppy » Sunday, 13 September 2009, 7:52 AM

Seeing as how I am a barefoot user, I have never really worried about this. However, the specs that I have researched has stated 10,000 watts would be it's handeling capacity. :rambo:

That,s almost obsene to even think of, but that's what I have read.

Of course, I would assume that this would be the perfect world where the ideal situation occurs and you were guttsy enough to throw that kind of power into a high tech world without fear of being on the NBC nightly news. :oops:
"Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow"

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Sunday, 13 September 2009, 8:16 AM

Hi mudpuppy

10,000 watts is about right. Although, as others have stated on this thread, the coax and the mount will go before the 102" of S/S. If your whip starts to melt I would worry more about what it is doing to your cookies than to how much power it takes to melt stainless steel.
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Sunday, 13 September 2009, 9:48 AM

You know, all this maximum power capacity is really a bunch of fortified fertilizer. All antennas (almost) are used in two directions. One of them puts a signal into the air, the other one gathers a signal and puts it into the receiver. Of the two, which do you think is more important? Guess that just depends on what your goal is, making noise, or hearing stuff. Each of those abilities has very little to do with the other. The ability to handle a 10 times whatever power you are capable of is something that is entirely useless. Doesn't give the antenna any 'ability' that will be 'better' than one that can adequately handle your typical power input. Okay, so fudge a little, twice your normal power capability. After that, it's just 'bling'.
- 'Doc

(Those power ratings are SO exaggerated!)

wifi
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Galaxy DX-959
Name: Operator 929
Home Phone: 27.385 LSB

Post by wifi » Sunday, 13 September 2009, 13:30 PM

Insane thought of that much energy reflected through an element. Talk about duty cycle and major RF burn if you would come into contact! Electromagneticradiation gentlemen....
https://sites.google.com/site/kb3scy/
WiFi in the Mobile -http://www.youtube.com/mobilewifi
Whiskey Indigo Foxtrot Indigo - Bringing you Mobile WIreless FIdelity broadcast's. Good evening, good evening ....good evening.More coffee!
Get yourself a cup of coffee and forget about it!
SSB - 314 Mobile

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Sunday, 13 September 2009, 15:15 PM

Doc makes a good point. The longer the antenna the more lines of electromagnetic waves will be picked up by the antenna, whether it is noise or a clear signal. The rest is up to the radio to distinguish between the two.

I like to keep it under 25 watts peak, sideband, on the output. I guess it is like angling with your favorite bait or dropping a large rock on a school of fish. I like a good challenge.
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic