Anyone own a Astro-Plane base antenna??

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

EAGLE3836
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Rick

Anyone own a Astro-Plane base antenna??

Post by EAGLE3836 » Friday, 04 September 2009, 16:04 PM

Hi All..........

I was Given a Astro-Plane 5/8 wave Antenna form one of my Fellow machanics, the antenna is 36 years old and still in org box with Hardware,instructions......his Dad (Pased away, 2 years ago) was going to put up this antenna for his Base Station and Never got too........

I was going to buy an Antron 99 or a I-max 2000, when he brought this to me yesterday.....a very odd looking 5/8 wave antenna, that you have to set-up in parts and peices

Anyone have one of These and how do you like it..........????????

it says it has a fixed SWR of 1.2........

Thank you.....

Eagle3836.......
RCI-2970N2
Cherokee 1000
Astro-Plane
Wilson 1000

drdx
Donor
Donor

Re: Anyone own a Astro-Plane base antenna??

Post by drdx » Friday, 04 September 2009, 17:38 PM

That's an older antenna but they work great. I've had friends with them and they really had great luck with them. We also have a member or 2 on here that have them. I'd run it if you already own it over buying something else. A 5/8 is superior to the half wave, which the antron is. I would guess that the astro plane would be on par with the Imax performance wise, but all 3 would be very close. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW » Friday, 04 September 2009, 18:06 PM

I agree with the DR, the Astroplane and the Starduster were the antennas to have back in the day around here. Both were "different" than your average groundplane antennas. I believe there are copies of both antennas being made now. Great find!

MoJo
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 68, TR 696FD1
Home Phone: 2314211186
Referrals: 1

Post by MoJo » Friday, 04 September 2009, 20:52 PM

Have been running one for 4 years and love it...

10-TM-03
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 148 GTL
Name: Jose Luis

Post by 10-TM-03 » Wednesday, 09 September 2009, 10:39 AM

Is a very good antenna I use to work whit one I made bby my self about 4 years ago and before i was using a starduster M-400 a great aereal to I´m using for almost 12 year on the air

Grizzly Bear 003 North of Mexico getdown............
BORN TO BE DXER

73´S

CBRT 3027, 10AD113/10FAT113, "AKA 113 GRIZZLY BEAR"

EAGLE3836
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by EAGLE3836 » Wednesday, 09 September 2009, 18:42 PM

drdx wrote:That's an older antenna but they work great. I've had friends with them and they really had great luck with them. We also have a member or 2 on here that have them. I'd run it if you already own it over buying something else. A 5/8 is superior to the half wave, which the antron is. I would guess that the astro plane would be on par with the Imax performance wise, but all 3 would be very close. -drdx
Hi, I have the Astro-plane set up on the roof of the Garage (Work) was talking to one of our drivers he was about 23 miles away........it seems to work really well, SWR is a 0.4 at 35 feet off the ground 15 feet above the building, grounded to the roofs Lighting rod grounds....

Some of our drivers ask, (What the Hell is that antenna), i tell them its a New Digital am/fm Anttenna for my radio........LOL........

I hear a lot of skip,if you can hear them, can they hear you, if you call them??
Or do I need some power to talk......

I recently bought/bidded for a Used MLV 250 watt power, from e-bay,$69.00,it seems to work, but never used one before,its made in italy and i was tring to find a Manual for it, but it seems unavailable for it........does anyone know anything about this unit or where to get a Manual/Scitimatics.....

Thank you for your Replys..................Rick
RCI-2970N2
Cherokee 1000
Astro-Plane
Wilson 1000

Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart » Thursday, 10 September 2009, 4:34 AM

you see in my sig that I own and use an Astro-Plane. It's not that hard to assemble at all and if you have the Avanti then you have the original. Follow the instructions exactly, paying attention to the minimum length of mast and the length of coax that Avanti suggests for optimum performance. Mine is 30' off the top of my roof with chimney mounts (4) and from my Nitro 300 to the antenna is 60' of RG214. In the instructions it will state that if you use foam type dialectic use multiples of 14' but if polyethylene dialectic is used (such as RG-8, RG-213, RG-214) use 12' multiples. I have a digital watt/power meter and I have an SWR of 1.00 from channel 1 thru 40 (barefoot), and when I engage the Nitro it raises only slightly to an SWR of 1.13. You will need to get an 8' ground rod and drive it into the earth for a good ground and it helps keep the antenna static free. In the design the only thing that Avanti didn't envision was the effects of winds on the hoop. I made my antenna sturdy by using UV resistant plastic ties to anchor the hoop (to the mast) in four (compass) directions so the hoop won't swing when it's very windy. It's a great antenna and I rate it as good as any Imax, V 5/8, I-110 out there. You'll be surprised how many flat sides will also hear you and how you will hear them. Enjoy it. I also have (currently) my Technician Class License and I talk on 10 mtrs. with my Astro-Plane too.

3's with ease...the unknown soldier...in the keystone
The world is a cold free toilet

public enemy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Kenwood TS850
Name: Patrick

Post by public enemy » Saturday, 19 September 2009, 7:29 AM

I was considering buying one of these antennas, they are quite hard to get here in UK and I was just outbid on eBay for one, anyway Italian company Sirio has a similar new model called the Top - 0ne which will be available here in mid October for about £99 ($160), the thing is though it has major changes on it and I think the design is much different to the original type, it's described as a 1/4 wave and has 4 elements on the basket and a gamma match unlike the original which I am pretty sure had an electrical length of a 5/8 wave and only two elements on the basket section. I would be interested also to here any reviews of that or indeed the original Avanti AV101 astroplane or Tagra BT101 as i've heard it called. :icon_e_smile:
Patrick - 68 Mike Fox Whiskey

Kenwood TS850s - Astatic 1104c - Imax 2000 Vertical - 180ft doublet/600 ohm feeder

Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart » Saturday, 19 September 2009, 8:14 AM

public enemy, since you're on the continent see if you can still get the AstroPlane made by CTE. It's copied from the original Avanti design. The jury is not in yet on the new Sirio version. Keep trying eBay though because the CTE and the Avanti versions still pop up from time to time

3's with ease

public enemy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Kenwood TS850
Name: Patrick

Post by public enemy » Saturday, 19 September 2009, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately all I can get with the CTE website is a link to Midland/Alan and no Astroplane type antenna to be found, not to worry, as you suggest I will keep a look out on eBay. Thanks.

The new Sirio Top-One

Patrick - 68 Mike Fox Whiskey

Kenwood TS850s - Astatic 1104c - Imax 2000 Vertical - 180ft doublet/600 ohm feeder

lucas
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cherokee CBS-1000
Name: Troy Lucas
Home Phone: channel one
Referrals: 1

Post by lucas » Tuesday, 20 October 2009, 22:14 PM

I have one, and love it. hit 50 km and was told i was still coming in no problems :P. now being as old as it is and of course living next to the atlantic ocean and also living in a windy place (A.K.A wreck house area)(newfoundland thing) its showing her sign's of age now. few small pin holes here and there, bottom ring is rusty and the two poles heading to the top are half rusted. But all still works great, the most i had to do so far is take off the coax connector at the top, cut 5 inches off and re solder it all. :P
TRC 449
TRC 242
TRC 454 (FUN FUN) (8) Ring ring ring BANNANA phone (8)
Uniden 68XL
K-40
Antron 99
Home made ground plane
:)

Haku
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: Chad

Post by Haku » Saturday, 05 December 2009, 9:53 AM

I owned an AstroPlane antenna in the 1980s, it was a 1/4 wave not a 5/8 wave. Good antenna but a maco 5/8 wave will out perform it.

Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart » Saturday, 05 December 2009, 11:06 AM

...uhh yeah,...Astro Plane..hmmm,... your avatar is slammin' .... wanted to comment....that's right Astro Plane.
No one has yet to disprove the AP is a 5/8 wave, the best answer I've read is that no one really understands how it works. The electrical length is 5/8 wave but the physical length is 1/4 wave hence the confusion. Now there will be some people who will argue that it isn't 5/8 wave electrically either. IMHO I err on the side of the Avanti engineers. When you look at their pedigree, Astro Plane, PDL-ll, Moonraker, Saturn, Sigma and introducing co-inductance to the hobby, would they deceive their consumers deliberately ??? IME my Astro Plane performs as well or better than all the other 5/8 wave antennas (and the .64 wave Imax) in my city. I do have the tip 70' in the air. A lot of people don't even realize that you need at least 1/4 wavelength of mast to provide the counterpoise. Say you put an AP on a 3 story building, one 10' mast section isn't enough sufficiently get that tip up around 60>70' where the AP rocks.

3's

Haku
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: Chad

Post by Haku » Saturday, 05 December 2009, 11:16 AM

I have been away from radio since 1991. I am going to put up a base antenna, either the new Astroplane or the IMAX 2000 CB BASE ANTENNA, which is the best? Also how high do you have to place the Astroplane in the air? Considering your last response about the pole length.

EAGLE3836
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by EAGLE3836 » Saturday, 05 December 2009, 16:16 PM

Hi Haku.....

Barts talking about me, Im the one on, the 3 story building with a 10 foot piece of pipe, Astro-Plane......

It talks Great for being 32 Years old in Ong. Box.............when i put it togather, my Thought was (What the hell is this!!)......my buddie gave me........

It talks very well at 40 feet, I Would take it taller but I dont want my Boss (At Work) to ask what that (Strange Antenna) towering over the Garage...............I Put up an American Flag taller that it is, just to Camoflage it...............

We live in a condo and Limits what i can use, so I talk from work on the CB..........

I up- graded my Radio to a Cherokee CBS-1000/ am,usb,lsb and a 3 pill..........Talks 28 Miles around town to our drivers.............

Have talked some Skip to Cleavend ohio and Around Tenn.

Happy with the Free Antenna.........................

Eagle3836/Fort Laurdale, Fl
RCI-2970N2
Cherokee 1000
Astro-Plane
Wilson 1000

Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart » Saturday, 05 December 2009, 16:57 PM

Haku wrote:I have been away from radio since 1991. I am going to put up a base antenna, either the new Astroplane or the IMAX 2000 CB BASE ANTENNA, which is the best? Also how high do you have to place the Astroplane in the air? Considering your last response about the pole length.
well you need the 10' of mast for the counterpoise...look at it this way, if you put 10' of mast on the AP because of where the mast attaches to the antenna you only have about 3' of mast below the hoop. So any extra length of mast helps get the tip higher and improves the tx/rx performance.
http://cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/avanti/ ... 101_om.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if you are able to get an original Avanti AP or the CTE Top One copy you can use the Avanti assembly instructions to the letter. Even when they talk about coax length. I have no input from anyone at all concerning the version of AP currently being offered by Sirio.

...did I mention your avatar is smokin' ???

3's

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic