16 Element Ground Plane

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

16 Element Ground Plane

Post by Sheriff Bart »

Today I was talking dx to an operator in Gainesville Fla. named Dr. Pepper. He was telling me he was using a 16 element ground plane but due to a lot of cross talking and hash and trash I wasn't able to make out the name of the company that he was saying. It sounded like Central Technologies or something similar. Does anyone have any experience or know about these antennas ?
The world is a cold free toilet
Red Warrior
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Re: 16 Element Ground Plane

Post by Red Warrior »

I wonder if this is a monopole with 16 steerable elements? It could also simply be a vertical with 16 ground elements forming a ground plane.

Here is a patent for one.

http://www.patentstorm.us/pat ... laims.html
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I think you'll find that thing is a typical 5/8 wave vertical with 20 short 'radials' at the bottom. They don't really equal a 'groundplane', they are what's commonly called a 'line isolator'. Basically the same thing as a choke. Cushcraft used to do the same with their 'R-4' - 'R-7' series of verticals 20 years ago (may still do it, I don't know).
- 'Doc

...think of those 'radials' as a diaper. Supposed to keep crap off of the feed line, sort of...?
Century21

Post by Century21 »

He may have been talking of one like i got. Its behind my shed. But i think it has 16. And a coil at the bottom with a see through plastic cover on the coil. Cant remember the name of it. But i think Siro makes on now.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

One of the ads I saw for this antenna, or one like it, said there were twenty radial. Grief, don't ask which ad, I have no idea at this point.
- 'Doc
Secret Squirrel
Donor
Donor
Handle: Secret Squirrel
Antenna: Hustler HQ-27 Magnum
Radio: Stryker 89MC in mobile

Post by Secret Squirrel »

It is more than likely a SIRO 5/8 wave. It think they are made in Italy.
Secret Squirrel

"Talking to the USA from my Archer Space Patrol walkie"
nibbles
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by nibbles »

dr pepper says his antenna is a "new technology" antenna by "SEIKO"--- "SEIKO TECHNOLOGIES" (pronounced like the watch co). he clearly says that, however, he must not be able to remember the name or something (he's been told a million times) because the antenna is a Sirio 2016, and his SWRs are high. (i know who checked them) his radio is an rci 2995 and it does 130-140 watts. (2x1446 transistors)
togaman
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: TOGAMAN
Radio: sears roadtalker

Post by togaman »

r :?: eally dug up that old thread there
4130 Land o' Lincoln
[/b]