Power mics-worth the money??

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 25LTD

Power mics-worth the money??

Post by Blue MTN »

Currently I'm just running a stock mic with a stock cobra 25LTD. Just wondering if a power mic would make that much of a difference and if it's worth spending the money on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Cobra 25LTD installed in 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Teaberry "t" Dispatch- new
PA629

Re: Power mics-worth the money??

Post by PA629 »

When operated in a sensible manner, yes it can make a world of difference. When adjusted improperly, it can sound like sh*t. The choice is yours.....
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

I hardly ever use a power mic on a radio. most is because I work on muy own and mod the audio section for better audio and a power mic is not needed. most of the time I run a RK 56 noise cancelling mics on my radios. just my choice.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Blue MTN »

I was thinking the noise cancelling mic would be more beneficial than the power mic. Maybe I'll give one of those a try!

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Like what the other said it is a "Yes/No" answer, depending on your voice a stock mic might carry very well. I use a power desk mic, (D104), I've changed the mic element to fit me and never overdrive the modulation. Sometimes it depends on the radio, early radios were Hi Z impedance and this were hamper a soft voice, the reason a amplified mic came about, late 70's radios were choked by FCC regulations, new radios now have better designed audio amplifier in them but in most cases a "golden screwdriver" turns them up to destructive levels.
Your Cobra 25 depending on how old it is really wouldn't need an amplified mic and if your in a noisy vehicle a NC mic would help, remember you can't hold the mic at arms length and talk, that's the reason for the guard on the screen.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Blue MTN »

Yeah that's why I like the idea of just the noise canceling because my radio already has the mic gain on it. I just have it instead in a Jeep so conditions are often Loud

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

you could even look at the red devil noise canceling power mic if your voice does not carry well. it is a fairly nice mic also. I have a buddy that has a squeaky voice and no matter what mic he uses he just does not sound good. some people their voice will sound good on any radio and mic combination. another friend of ours has a mark IV radio and when he keys up the air waves actually goes quiet and his voice just booms across the waves. my squeaky voice buddy thought he would go over and try the mark IV to see how he sounded. low and behold the radio had a weak scratchy sound with him on it. so in other words he all depends on your voice how it sounds over the air waves.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Post by DevilDog66 »

I own and use both a Road Devil Astatic power mic which is great for the noise cancelling abilities. I use that one on my Uniden 980 SSB since that one is not a big talker and I don't want to go inside the radio to do any audio mods, with the power mic gain turned up to about 65-70% and the radio gain set at 3 I have gotten numerous reports of being loud n proud. For my Cobra 29 LTD Classic, I use a Ranger SRA-198 noise cancelling mic which is perfect for that radio. Now it does have some audio mods done to it and a swing kit in it, but, I als have gotten "loud n proud" reports out of this as well. The best thing I like about the SRA-198 mis is the audio quality....very clean and clear but you must remember to practically "eat" the mic otherwise your audio will be to low, also the SRA mic is very well built and sturdy mic. I love the PTT set up, very durable and you don't get the plastic crunching sound you sometimes get on other mics if you happen to be a lead thumb on your PTT buttons! 73's people I'm out! :dance:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: Audio is KING in my book when done properly, it sometimes is trial and error and then you hit it. The Cobra 25 is still an awesome radio, and anything prior to 2000 mfg date is a plus. Myself would probably go with the NC mic over the power. Good luck.
David g........ :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.