question about "PRESIDENT" D104

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: fisherman
Antenna: 102 Whip
Radio: Texas Star TR966

question about "PRESIDENT" D104

Post by RBR762 »

Does anyone know the details about the D104 that has the President sticker on the back of the mic head. It reads President on the top of the sticker and engineered for excellence on the bottom. I think it is a creation of some cb store or shop to sell them as mics made for the Washington base radios etc... My research has found nothing and most cb'ers I have spoken to say that Astatic did not put out a President version of the D104.
Robert
pabxone

Re: question about "PRESIDENT" D104

Post by pabxone »

I have seen them before.

Like you I "thought" they were a standard D104 T-UG8 / T-UG9 that someone had placed a sticker on the back of the D104 head to try and pass it off as a President accessory.

BUT , I did see some old advertising on the net from back in the 70's that showed a D104 that looked pretty much the same, as an optional accessory for I "think" the original President Madison.

However it could well have been a gimmick some shop was doing to sell them off with the President radio's.

You do see these mikes on a well known auction site from time to time and they all do look to be the same design with the sticker on the back of the head.
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: fisherman
Antenna: 102 Whip
Radio: Texas Star TR966

Post by RBR762 »

I just picked one up for my collection and right off the bat I noticed that the backplate is "inletted" or machined down so the President label is recessed.
That is much more than just putting a sticker on it. I wish I could find the original advertisement for this mic.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Like pabxone said, I remember an Astatic D104 (TUG-9 stand) that had "President" inscribed on the back plate of the mic's head, seen it advertised with a "President Madison" radio and the matching extension speaker, I believe it came as a package deal that way.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department