Road Devil

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Seaview
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Patriot 1/2 wave
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Road Devil

Post by Seaview »

I got a new Road Devil to use,on a 980SSB with the adaptor.All seems to work fine but at times,when I key up I get no audio going out.

Battery is totally new,volume control seems to be ok.I suspect the switch but I have no idea,how to check it.
pabxone

Re: Road Devil

Post by pabxone »

If it is NEW and intermittent definitely take it back and have it exchanged for another one.

If it's second hand , it could be the switch , the mike element going intermittent , the wiring in the mike plug or even a grubby/loose fitting mike plug?

You can hit the mike switch with a blast of WD40 / CRC or Contact cleaner with the rear cover off to see if it makes any difference but I wouldn't be doing that if it's a new mike
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

You say your using a adapter with the Mic? Is it the "Pig-Tail" adapter that comes with the radio, or one you picked up somewhere? Just wondering because recently I bought a 5 pin to 4 pin pig-til adapter of fle-bay that was suppose to work on a Cobra 2000, but didn't...Just because you have a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter, doesn't necessarily mean it's wired for your radio "IF" you bought it somewhere else...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

OK, I have had to fix this problem on so many of these mics when I use to sell them. what I ran into was the mic wires run under the plunger of the switch, it is 2 wires and they will move around some and the wires will get between the C-clip on the switch and keep it from fully keying the radio.. what I would do is reroute the wires or even put a drop of super glue under the 2 wires so they did not raise up and keep the plunger of the switch from going all the way in. if you pull the cover you will see the 2 wires from the element going under the plunger of the switch. it will keep the mic from keying all the way when they move around inside the mic.

hope this makes since to you.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I'd check the cord at the plug, a lot of times the audio lead snaps at the point where it goes into the plug, it seems the white lead (audio) is stiffer then the other 4 or shield, also sonoma makes a good point, I've seen that a few times myself. I do agree with pabxone on "New", send it back, it's just a matter of inconvenience.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

last year I bought 2 of these for 20.00 and free shipping because they were doing the same thing and it was just the 2 wires going under the plunger on the switch. a little super glue on the wires and all is still fine with them. 20.00 for 2 road devils new and shipped was a great price.