Need Help

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
EasyMoney66
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Need Help

Post by EasyMoney66 »

I've got a galaxy 66 that has been working fine lately but I had it out of my truck & when I hooked it back up & plugged the mic in it started smoking the mic wires. Does anybody have any suggestions on what could have caused that? Any help would be great. Thanks
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Need Help

Post by sonoma »

could be the mic socket turned just enough when you put the mic on the radio to short a diode. think it is D77 that is easy to short if the mic socket gets loose and turns just a little.. hope that is what happened to you if you are luccky.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello EasyMoney66,
Welcome to the forum. This is a new one on me, unless something inside the came loose and touched a 8v source that shouldn't have happened. does the radio have any toys installed or possibly a power mic?
As a new member could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

I just looked at a pic of the main board and it is D77 that is right by the mic socket. if you look at the pic I am leaving you it will be in the lower right corner of the picture. when you tighten the mic plug up it can gett into D77 and cause a short. may or may not be the problem you will just have to pull the cover and verify the parts touching.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... 4b_top.gif
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I'm more incline to think it might be the echo board gone bad, there is more than enough voltage there to smoke the mic wires, open it up and see what's caused it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EasyMoney66
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by EasyMoney66 »

Thanks for the info I'll definitely check it out. Looks like I came to the right place.