RF limited 2018 turbo echo mic talkback

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
perrym1962
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Possum
Antenna: Imax 2000 Maco 4 vertical
Radio: Cobra 148gtl

RF limited 2018 turbo echo mic talkback

Post by perrym1962 »

Does anyone know if you can turn the talkback off on this mic? I would like to have one, but if the talkback can't be turned off I would not like that...
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: RF limited 2018 turbo echo mic talkback

Post by jessejamesdallas »

As long as your Talk Back on the radio is turned OFF, TB won't work anyway...If your radio does not have TB, then just turn the TB all the way down on the Mic and you won't hear nothing threw your external speaker (if you have a external speaker.

I have 3 of these Mic's, and can't hear anything threw TB, unless I have the TB turned ON, on the radio.

Excellent Mic's by the way, or I wouldn't have one on each of my 3 mobile installs... Mine are hooked up to 2 Cobra 29lx's and one Galaxy 979...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
perrym1962
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Possum
Antenna: Imax 2000 Maco 4 vertical
Radio: Cobra 148gtl

Post by perrym1962 »

Thanks for your response. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them, think I will order one..
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

perrym1962 wrote:Thanks for your response. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them, think I will order one..
shop around...I've seen them listed on the Net anywhere between $40, and $80...You should be able to find one under $50.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Stryker 955 HP

Post by Fogdog »

I took Jessejamesdallas's advice a few months ago about this Mic and I love it. I get nothing but good reports. Although there are the Echo Haters out there. I have the echo set low. Somewhere around 1.5-2 0n the knob. Anyway just my two cents worth. Turn the talkback off on your radio, and that will do it.

Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Radio: Base & Mobile

Post by Bulldog777 »

I agree excellent microphone. JJD signal is banded in 10 countries because he is loud & clear!

[youtube][/youtube]
KP68
Donor
Donor
Handle: KP68
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily 80meter sky loop
Radio: Apache Labs ANAN 7000DLE MKii

Post by KP68 »

I too took JJD's advice about this mic and I'm glad I did. Nothing but great reports. On sideband no echo of course and on AM I run the echo so it's barely noticeable. Only complaint I have is that I wish the battery compartment was a little bit larger. Sometimes the ppt gets hung up on the battery.
Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Radio: Base & Mobile

Post by Bulldog777 »

Yup on little quirk on those microphones. The plastic divider that goes between the battery and circuit board just sticks there and can be moved to the left away from the bottom of the ptt and you could put a cardboard spacer on the bottom right corner of the battery to keep it further to the left.
KP68
Donor
Donor
Handle: KP68
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily 80meter sky loop
Radio: Apache Labs ANAN 7000DLE MKii

Post by KP68 »

On mine, that divider doesn't move at all. Next time I have to replace the battery, I'll dremel away about a mm of plastic from the compartment. That should do the trick.
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

Good mic, but I can't stand having to mess with batteries. So its the Astatic 636L with the chrome cable. Much easier to keep under control in my truck. Mostly cause I drive like a idiot. No over modulation issues either. Available at most all truck stops. $35ish
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
BigX
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Bigx

Post by BigX »

How about the mics output volume control? Do you guys have it turned all the way up on the mic? Any issues with it over modulating?
78FX
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: I-max 2000
Radio: Galaxy DX2547

Post by 78FX »

Funny how things work, 2 yr old thread I didn't see when searching, and I ordered the same mic last night. Hope its as good as whats said here, replacing a stock galaxy mic with it.
BigX
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Bigx

Post by BigX »

Lol yeah man its a good mic you will love it. Im just trying to see what everyone usually sets the mic audio to. I have mine cranked all the way up right now and so far good reports. Guess it depends on the radio, tune and mic setting you want. I just dont want to overmodulate.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If you turn the radios mic gain all the way up then turn the mic up to just over modulating, back the mic off slightly. Now just use the radios mic gain to adjust your sound, if you turn it all the way up you know it's not over modulating. Most want the mic itself turned up all the way but doing that you increase all the surrounding noise too. This goes for any power mic.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
barefoothank
Donor
Donor
Antenna: lil will,A99
Radio: trc-485, 959,979

Post by barefoothank »

MDYoungblood wrote:If you turn the radios mic gain all the way up then turn the mic up to just over modulating, back the mic off slightly. Now just use the radios mic gain to adjust your sound, if you turn it all the way up you know it's not over modulating. Most want the mic itself turned up all the way but doing that you increase all the surrounding noise too. This goes for any power mic.

3's

Greg
Question: When you say "turn the mic up to just over modulating" are you talking about the VR2 adj.? I'm trying to figure out how to set VR2 but not sure about it.Thnak you
hanjk

(edited by MDY)
587, a nudder mudder

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Most have the modulation VR in the radio turned to the max, when putting a power mic on you have to be careful not to overdrive. I turn the mic gain control on the radio to max and adjust the volume control on the mic to where the radio starts to chirp like a cricket, at that point you know your over modulating, I then back off the volume until I get a good sound on someone local receive. There is a fine line between booming modulation and not being understandable or crisp, clean, clear and loud.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department