The CBRT/TWRC Convention
July 28 & 29, 2017

Cobra CA Series Dynamike Base Station Desk Microphones

Microphone Information Wiring etc, or if you just need help with choosing a good microphone for your radio.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price
Referrals: 1

Cobra CA Series Dynamike Base Station Desk Microphones

Post by Foxhunter » Tuesday, 03 November 2009, 22:48 PM

What the opinions are of members who own or have previously owned any of Cobra's "CA" series of Dynamike base station or desk microphones ?

Anybody have an opinion which of the actual Cobra brand CB base station desk mic's, from this very series, compliments the Cobra 2000GTL the best ?

Were there any other model versions besides these two ? I began to look and didn't see much. Both the CA-61 and Ca-72 are indeed amplified desk mic's. But I'm not absolutley positive that the CA-61 is in fact a compression microphone.

Cobra Model CA-61 Dynamike Plus Amplified Desk Microphone (Dynascan Corporation)

Cobra Model CA-72 Dynamike Plus Compression-Type Amplified Desk Microphone (Dynascan Corporation)

Foxhunter 351 NJ

I Remember

PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Re: Cobra CA Series Dynamike Base Station Desk Microphones

Post by PONY EXPRESS » Wednesday, 04 November 2009, 5:10 AM

Foxhunter wrote:What the opinions are of members who own or have previously owned any of Cobra's "CA" series of Dynamike base station or desk microphones ?

Anybody have an opinion which of the actual Cobra brand CB base station desk mic's, from this very series, compliments the Cobra 2000GTL the best ?

Were there any other model versions besides these two ? I began to look and didn't see much. Both the CA-61 and Ca-72 are indeed amplified desk mic's. But I'm not absolutley positive that the CA-61 is in fact a compression microphone.

Cobra Model CA-61 Dynamike Plus Amplified Desk Microphone (Dynascan Corporation)

Cobra Model CA-72 Dynamike Plus Compression-Type Amplified Desk Microphone (Dynascan Corporation)

CA -60 is another that looks just like the 61 has a switch on bottom RELAY or Electronic switching 4 pin plug

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Wednesday, 04 November 2009, 6:37 AM

While a neat artifact, I always thought they weren't that great. The element just sounded like an amplified stock mic. Cobra did a few things well, and power mics and antennas weren't some of them. Remember the old white Cobra magnet mount, with the white coax? Their mobile power mics weren't that great either. I always wondered why they didn't capitalize more on their great name by privately labeling good mics and antennas. Even tram was smart enough to use the astatic mic as their stock mic on the d201's. CPI used what looked like a turner. Browning had the banana. Why didn't they offer a cobra base package with each model that included a high end microphone? The customer was standing right there, spending money, and would have paid for it. During the dawn of the 2000gtl, Dallas and Falcon Crest were on tv, the age of flash. New owners would have jumped all over a blinged out mic. Why didn't it LOOOK like a real cobra? The shape of a cobra would have made a really cool mic, with maybe a tapered base that looked like a snake tale where the cord went out.

I think radio shack missed a boat there to. They offered base mics but also were inferior.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Wednesday, 04 November 2009, 9:14 AM

Hi Foxhunter

I have a mint CA-72 Cobra Mic. I am selling it. I have used it on the air and have had nothing but good reports using it. I put it on eBay along with a mint speaker but no takers. I should have listed them separately. I can not keep everything, It is time to find a home for all my stuff.

The model I have is made in Taiwan and is all metal.

Respectfully,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan » Thursday, 05 November 2009, 6:05 AM

i have to disagree- older cobra powermics are superiour to what you can buy today. look at the junk we have to choose from today-all made by barjan who only care about the bottom line and discontinued all the better astatic models . the modern d 104 hand mic is junk! -still sounds good but the switches are prone to failure.

causmik
Donor
Donor

Post by causmik » Thursday, 05 November 2009, 16:29 PM

Hey Doc, what do you want for the Cobra 72?

Mike

causmik@comcast.net

PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PONY EXPRESS » Thursday, 05 November 2009, 16:47 PM

drdx wrote:While a neat artifact, I always thought they weren't that great. The element just sounded like an amplified stock mic. Cobra did a few things well, and power mics and antennas weren't some of them. Remember the old white Cobra magnet mount, with the white coax? Their mobile power mics weren't that great either. I always wondered why they didn't capitalize more on their great name by privately labeling good mics and antennas. Even tram was smart enough to use the astatic mic as their stock mic on the d201's. CPI used what looked like a turner. Browning had the banana. Why didn't they offer a cobra base package with each model that included a high end microphone? The customer was standing right there, spending money, and would have paid for it. During the dawn of the 2000gtl, Dallas and Falcon Crest were on tv, the age of flash. New owners would have jumped all over a blinged out mic. Why didn't it LOOOK like a real cobra? The shape of a cobra would have made a really cool mic, with maybe a tapered base that looked like a snake tale where the cord went out.

I think radio shack missed a boat there to. They offered base mics but also were inferior.

-drdx

The COBRA 2010 GTL WX actually came with a desk mic No model number on it but it has a round 4-5 inch base with slide control for mic gain and TALK + LOCK button..

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Thursday, 05 November 2009, 23:27 PM

Pony Express---Thanks for bumping my post along I do appreciate it. Posts come so quickly that it doesn't take long at all to become quickly buried. I tried to pull up pic's of the Cobra 2010GTL and it's base mic but there isn't much online showing it. The usual site that comes to mind is CBRadioMagazine but the site is down right now. No model # on that mic at all ?

DrDx---I kinda suspect you could be right and that's what's been floating around in the back of my mind. Often many factory mics are kind of hurtin' in many regards, only certain OEM makes/models seem to end up being halfway decent quality. At one point the "big brand" CB manufacturers outsourced their accessories to "the other big brands" like Turner, Astatic and Shure. I guess it was a smart move to leave the microphone department up to the established trusted quality names. Good for the consumer too. Then at some point the usual cost saving measures kicked in and they either began to make them themselves and/or had them outsourced to the lowest bidder. I haven't yet owned or used any of the "Cobra" CA Dynamike desk mics, but two of them were ordered Sunday and are on their way already haha.

CB Doctor---I didn't think you were splitting up the CA-72/CA-2000 pair, I'd seen it offered up on Ebay days ago. If I'd thought you would I might've asked but I already have two Cobra CA-2000 Accessory Speakers and haven't yet been interested in another. At some point I'd like to get an additional two speakers so that each Cobra 2000GTL has a pair of speakers each. The mic/speaker combination you have up for sale do indeed look nice. I was just going to place a link to it and took a quick look but don't see it now and am guessing you must have sold it or pulled the ad ? Still thank you and appreciate the report you give on the mic as being good. But since you've posted on the thread, and are VERY WELL acquainted with the 2000GTL particularly, which of the two mics (CA-61 or CA-72) have you found (or were told by competent trusted listeners) worked best or compliment the radio best ? How many versions of Cobra desk mic's were there ? What models ?

Super20Dan---Here's another favorable report on the mic from you. What did you find you liked about the mic's----and/or which one and why ? I'd have to agree about Barjan for the most part. Being someone who's been into truckstops probably literally at least a thousand times (no lie), the aisles are flooded with cheaply made Barjan and also those "Diesel" products of every type/shape/and kind. I guess to be fair I can't say I've tried everything they make, but most of it is the type of item you buy in a pinch when you're really stuck or want something only really temporary. Among most commercial drivers, they tend to agree that Barjan really puts out some really low-end stuff.

Causmik---I've wondered where you'd been and, even if not commenting on the mic's I've asked about here, it's good to see you around. I PM'd you well over a month ago, out of the blue, just wondering if everything was cool with you, because I hadn't noticed you around. I never did hear back from you, neither from two other members I'd also PM'd, so I finally just went deleted the sent PM's the day before yesterday. Still, I've enjoyed reading some of your prior posts (especially on audio) and even liked the old black farmer avatar you used to have. I hope you get to hook up with CB Doctor and the CA-72 mic he had listed. If you do get one, give a review of the mic for others to see, you certainly seem well-qualified enough.

Now as I'd said earlier above, I have a pair of these Cobra CA-72 Dynamike Plus Compression-Type mic's already enroute to the home location. I'm ending up with two because I honestly didn't think I'd win them both, and oop really didnt intend to. But, if they work well, I guess I'll have one spare for the other Cobra base radios I have, since there are a number of them and at the same time, none of them have factory base mic's with them.

I have mixed feelings about compression, especially if it is from a low-quality source, so I'm anxious to see how they sound as they are. A good example of "compression" is the LOUD blasting television commercials many of us have grown to hate. One minute you're watching a TV program at a nice, set level. Then they cut to commercial break and "THIS IS BILLY MAYS HERE FOR OXYCLEAN BLAH BLAH . . " That "blast" of perceived audible increase is from television advertiser's use of compression as an ad tactic. I guess it's certainly effective enough though.

About the Cobra CA-61 desk base microphone. Honestly, from looking at it, it looks nearly identical to the Realistic Radio Shack desk mic I'm sitting here looking at right now. The Realistic Amplified Base Station Microphone Cat. No. 21-1173 seems to be essentially the same as the Cobra CA-61, the only difference being the shape of the head. The head on the Realistic version is square, and the head on the Cobra version is round. The base and necks are identical. Same push buttons and markings, same mic gain slide switch on the neck. Now I can't say with absolute certainty that the mic head is the same internally, I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison of the head internals. But still to some it might be a little useless information, but maybe to someone else they will find it interesting. I'm only guessing that several competing CB lines like Cobra and Realistic used the same outsourced mic manufacturer to produce very similar versions of the same mic.

I'd appreciate any more comments on the mics or information anyone has, not only for myself but for future viewers trying to look up the same content. It might really help steer someone to making the right choice in mic and have something to go on. Here's a standard online file photo of the Realistic base mic equivalent, looking an awful lot like the Cobra CA-61 pictured in the above posts and below once more.

Foxhunter 351 NJ

EDIT: typos
Last edited by Foxhunter on Monday, 16 November 2009, 1:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I Remember

PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PONY EXPRESS » Friday, 06 November 2009, 5:11 AM

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Friday, 06 November 2009, 5:37 AM

Nice avatar PE, I'm a big fan of the show and have the book written by the professor. There are some good youtube interviews with him out there too. His name is Russell Johnson.

I think it is cool when the base has a matching mic. I think another thing that may have killed the popularity was that by the time the cobras hit the market, astatic had been on the radio scene since when, the 30's? Other brands were out there as accepted standards as well, such as turner and shure, mentioned above. This is just like the auto world. Guys back then would change out the wheels and put a holley or whatever carb on a vehicle. Stock was just not going to cut it. Maybe that desk mic, being of the same maker as the radio, emmitted an impression of "stock" where as the lollipop had that "real operator" look and reputation to it. After all, if it was good enough for Tram to use it, then it MUST be good enough for everyone else, right? Right or wrong, that's the mentality of some. I know in my circle cobra was well thought of back then, and rightfully so. Other than the few standouts like tram, browning, and cpi, Cobra was King and if you couldn't get a cobra a Midland would do. I remember that the midland brand in my circle always had the reputation of being great talkers but with bad ears. I don't know where that came from. I even ran a cobra trapshooter radar detector in the 80's, and it was of quality.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

super20dan
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by super20dan » Friday, 06 November 2009, 15:55 PM

the cobra desk mics work well on the older vintage base rigs that sometimes cant handle the high output of a d104 . they sound very good and mine always get good reports on audio tone and strength. it seems they are no longer a well kept secret as the bring decent $ on ebay now

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor

Post by Foxhunter » Monday, 16 November 2009, 1:10 AM

Well I finally got the pair of Cobra CA-72 cb base station desk microphones in this past week. They look nice, are heavily weighted and feel firmly planted on the desk. I bought them in the hopes that they'll nicely compliment a few of the Cobra CB base stations sitting here and perform well with them too.

Foxhunter 351 NJ's Cobra 2000GTL Cobra CA-2000 Cobra CA-72
Foxhunter 351 NJ's Cobra 2000GTL Cobra CA-2000 Cobra CA-72

Right off the bat, one CA-72 is broken of course and not working. The damage to the one mic didn't occur in-transit but was knowingly sold and sent that way. But of course the seller made no mention of it in the listing and said it worked. The whole PTT assembly is broken internally, it's a metal frame made of white pot metal and is snapped in half. So is the PTT lock-down switch, broken clear off. Broken ceramic disc capacitor, 3x broken/unsoldered wires. It sort of "tried" to work when I hooked it up to the microphone test center but had intermittent transmit and horrible squeal. I opened it up and went and used spare fine-size telephone wire and extended a couple of the wires as they were really short and reconnected/resoldered the ends on the pins. Still nothing though, at least before I had some audio so I'll need a disc cap and who knows what else to bring it back to life. Ebay.

The other CA-72 is in nice but not new condition, works perfect. Testing it out on a Cobra 29 Classic, a Cobra 138XLR mobile and the Cobra 2000GTL I found it to have decent audio, I was a little surprised. It's a LOUD mic and you really should watch your gain settings with this one. I had decent modulation while standing at the other end of the room and talking, easily. I suppose if you want loud blaring audio, this is another power mic quite able to produce it. Still, I kept things turned down as they should and it produced decent audio for a power mic. I'll say by comparison, it has a bit more mellow and slightly bassier sound than the Astatic D104. I find the typical D104 to be a little more crisp in modulation but at the same time a bit tinnier. Overall so far, I'm happy with the mic and will be keeping the one, if not both. I'll keep the currently inoperable one if I can fix it to good working condition.

Now for general interest, I'd like to point out another little observation. Recently, we were discussing some things in another thread about a European CB base antenna from the company "Ham International" in the "Ham International Base Antenna" thread. Well remember also, how I pointed out earlier above in this thread, how the Realistic Amplified Base Station Microphone Cat. No. 21-1173 base mic looks nearly identical to the Cobra CA-61 ? Guessing that they might indeed be made by the same company ?

Well I was doing some microphone researching the other day on mic elements and just happened to stumble upon this CB radio desk microphone from Europe, put out by Ham International. Look familiar ?

Ham International TW-232S

What do you think ? I wonder who was making these microphones we over here know as the Cobra CA-61 and Cobra CA-72, or the Realistic 21-1173 ? If you see what I see, there was a company out there somewhere making them for several major radio manufacturers. While that might not be something totally new, I haven't seen it mentioned with these mics yet anywhere else. Clones. But again, I wonder who made them ?

And for another completley interesting plot twist, check out the base station below. It's a "Ham International Jumbo". I like the channel indicators, cool. I'd like to see if I could get a channel LED from one of these models to put in the Galaxy Saturn Turbo or Galaxy DX2517 here. I like the idea it would be a cool mod. And check out the block diagram right on the top of the case on the Jumbo 3 version, pretty wild (handy too). Does this radio "look familiar" ? Déjà vu ?

Ham International Jumbo
Ham International Jumbo 3

Well, again----what do you think ?

Foxhunter 351 NJ

I Remember

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic