MIC SQUEAL RELIEF ! ! !

Microphone Information Wiring etc, or if you just need help with choosing a good microphone for your radio.

Moderator: JR Moderator

SKYHAWK0115
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: BILL

MIC SQUEAL RELIEF ! ! !

Post by SKYHAWK0115 » Saturday, 15 August 2009, 20:59 PM

THIS IS A SCHEMATIC FOR THE SQUEAL BEING EXPERIENCED IN YOUR RADIO. I WAS EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE WITH SQUEAL, IN OVER DRIVING MY D104M6 MICROPHONE. I WAS WANTING TO USE IT AT A HIGHER LEVEL OF VOLUME CONTROL AND IT CONTINUED TO SQUEAL NO MATTER WHAT I DID. I HAD TO TURN EVERYTHING OFF IN MY CAB AND STILL OTHERS OBSERVED THE NOISE IN MY SIGNAL. I FOUND THIS SCHEMATIC THAT WILL WORK TOWARDS THIS PROBLEM. IT MAY BE SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD CARE TO TRY. IT WORKS, AT LEAST IT WORKED ON MINE ! NOW I CAN RUN THE VOLUME CONTROL NEAR THE MAXIMUM OUTPUT. LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS FOR THE INSTALLATION, ON YOUR RADIO. . . . . .

SKYHAWK0115

Mikey B
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 WX NW ST
Name: -B-

Re: MIC SQUEAL RELIEF ! ! !

Post by Mikey B » Sunday, 16 August 2009, 4:43 AM

Is your audio still loud? I was running a power mic on my 29, and I had to turn everything down to get rid of the squeeling. It got to the point where the power mic did not benefit my audio at all. Went back to the stock cobra mic, and reports from locals said it sounded better with the stock mic.
"We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. " - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.
KB1TBF
"B-DOG"

SKYHAWK0115
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by SKYHAWK0115 » Sunday, 16 August 2009, 14:06 PM

ACCORDING TO THE VARIOUS RADIO TESTS THE RADIO IS LOUD AND CLEAR WITH NO SQUEAL OR FEEDBACK. ON OTHER OCCASIONS IT WAS NOTHING, BUT SQUEAL AND HAD TO RESORT TO LOWERING THE VOLUME CONTROL TO AN UNACCEPTABLE MODE. I ALSO MADE SURE THAT THE CONTINUITY IN MY GROUNDING WAS CORRECTED. THE ANTENNA GROUND PLANE SEEMS TO MIRROR YOUR ACTUAL SIGNAL AND IF NOT ENOUGH GROUNDING IS PRESENT THAN YOUR SWR READINGS REFLECT YOUR OUTPUT WITH SQUEAL. SOMEONE ELSE CAN PROBABLY BETTER ELABORATE ON THIS SUBJECT.

209 first class
Donor
Donor

Post by 209 first class » Tuesday, 18 August 2009, 10:31 AM

i saw somthing in your diagram the raised my eyebrows a lil. im just guessing here...but in the diagram your audio ground is thru a switch. i thought on most mics the hot lead goes thru the switch, and the ground stays connected. rf connection is much more touchy than an electrical connection. so ur ground is going thru a switch (not the best rf connection). i know you fixed the problem with coupling capacitors, but i wonder if the ground being on the switch added to the problem ? i know the mic does not put out rf, but it certainly needs to be shielded from any stray rf as not to squeal. just food for thought. 209 massachusetts
2zero9 workin this top secret station in massachusetts.

SKYHAWK0115
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by SKYHAWK0115 » Wednesday, 19 August 2009, 21:47 PM

209 first class wrote:i saw somthing in your diagram the raised my eyebrows a lil. im just guessing here...but in the diagram your audio ground is thru a switch. i thought on most mics the hot lead goes thru the switch, and the ground stays connected. rf connection is much more touchy than an electrical connection. so ur ground is going thru a switch (not the best rf connection). i know you fixed the problem with coupling capacitors, but i wonder if the ground being on the switch added to the problem ? i know the mic does not put out rf, but it certainly needs to be shielded from any stray rf as not to squeal. just food for thought. 209 massachusetts

NOT SURE WHY THEY GO THROUGH THE MIC SWITCH, BUT THE MOD I DISPLAYED REALLY DOES WORK. IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN A POWERED MIC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic