using a cigarette lighter adapter to power CB. am I losing t

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: CocoTheGorilla
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: cobra 25 ltd classic

using a cigarette lighter adapter to power CB. am I losing t

Post by mty pocketz »

I'm using a cigarette lighter adapter to power a peaked and tuned cobra 25. It reads 17 watts output on a bench. Am I losing any transmit power by using the cigarette lighter plug?
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Re: using a cigarette lighter adapter to power CB. am I losi

Post by The DB »

mty pocketz wrote:I'm using a cigarette lighter adapter to power a peaked and tuned cobra 25. It reads 17 watts output on a bench. Am I losing any transmit power by using the cigarette lighter plug?
That depends. If it is a newer power port, likely not. These look just like cigarette lighter plugs. If it is an actual cigarette lighter plug then you are likely running it close to its limit.

The DB
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello mty pocketz,
Welcome to the forum. I would say no you aren't losing anything by using the cigarette lighter socket, (if you have a power socket it would be better), A stock, even a P&T Cobra 25 only needs about 3 amps. The one thing about using it is you are probably picking up a lot more noise than if it was direct to the battery.
As a new member could you post a small intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so other can say "Hello", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by mty pocketz »

Its actually a power port. I get no electrical noise and everybody i talk to says i'm crystal clear. I only asked bc a socalled CB guru told me i was probably losing some transmit power by using the port instead of using the factory supplied truck wiring or going directly to the battery. He also claimed i was losing some by not running a ground wire to my CB case/chassis
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

mty pocketz wrote:Its actually a power port. I get no electrical noise and everybody i talk to says i'm crystal clear. I only asked bc a socalled CB guru told me i was probably losing some transmit power by using the port instead of using the factory supplied truck wiring or going directly to the battery. He also claimed i was losing some by not running a ground wire to my CB case/chassis
He's full of s#@!..........

Like said, using a cigarette lighter port "can" cause unwanted electrical noise, and may-not supply enough amp's to run something like a Amp. or some of the Export Radios that put out 50+ watts, but a stock CB Radio just doesn't pull that much juice...Most ports use either a 10amp or 20amp fuse, which means the port is rated to that point...Your CB Radio is not pulling anywhere near that amount of amps.

As for the ground wire to the case...That's another trick that works sometimes in reducing unwanted noise...It has nothing to do with power to the radio...Your radios ground is going to also be supplied threw the cigarette lighter plug just like the positive is being supplied.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by mty pocketz »

Thanks. That's what i thought, but just wanted to get some other opinions.
fatcat3
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by fatcat3 »

I have found in my search for a good tech around here that if they try to talk a lot of electrical and frequency terms they are not worth a !!!!. if they can talk to you on your level then they usually know what they talking about. I have laid questions out to some that I know the answer to just to see what they say. some of them just know how to turn pots and that is all. so be careful who you let work on your equipment.