Polamar 450 ld

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Forgiven
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: K40
Radio: Mirage RCI 2950

Polamar 450 ld

Post by Forgiven »

Ok I asked this on chat but, got two different answers. '06 Colorado with a 100 alternator. I've ordered a Palomar FET450LD MOSFET Amplifier. Pulls 40-50 amps at full power. Will this work? If not can I just upgrade the alternator? If I run it at medium it'll put out about 300. I believe I read its 10amps per 100 wyatt's. I don't know that I'll be just sitting around talking in my pickup due to lack of time. And, there's no room for a extra battery. I could however possibly get ahold of a good truck( big rig ) battery. Just wouldn't know where I would put it. This is a very compact truck. If I can just upgrade the alternator.Where is a good place to get one to replace my stock one?
Mirage Ranger RCI-2950
379 Upstate SC waving.
Please excuse typo's
'Doc

Re: Polamar 450 ld

Post by 'Doc »

With the information you've provided I would have to think that your present alternator should handle that amplifier. It's power requirements are within the ability of the alternator. But keep in mind that the truck it's self and any additional accessories turned on will also require some power. If that total is less than the alternator's rating then it should work. There's also power available from the battery so if the alternator's rating is approached things should still work. The 'catch' to that is that the alternator has to then recharge that battery, right?
That '10 amps per 100 watts' for an amplifier is a little too low of a 'general rule'. Unfortunately, amplifier (and radios) are not 100% efficient, they require some power to produce power. That means that you can't go strictly by the 'figured' general rule amount of power. It's easy to figure, divide the max output of the amplifier by the size of fuse. That'd give you the amps per watt thingy for -that- amplifier. I think you'll see that the general rule is closer to 20 amps per 100 watts. That's certainly not exact by any means, and has a sort of 'fudge factor' built into it, but it's closer to what will be required.
Have fun.
- 'Doc
Forgiven
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: K40
Radio: Mirage RCI 2950

Re: Polamar 450 ld

Post by Forgiven »

Thanks Doc
Mirage Ranger RCI-2950
379 Upstate SC waving.