Is my battery dead? or dying?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
mat_me
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: mag mount wilson 100
Radio: Stryker 440

Is my battery dead? or dying?

Post by mat_me »

Kinda more of a Vehicle question than CB question but if anyone has an idea that may help then thanks. Truck is a 98 dodge ram running a stryker 440 and a wilson 1000 mag mount if it matters. The battery seems weak or maybe dying. There is an internitend problem starting the truck . Before I try to start it the multi meter reads 12.85 V if I turn in the key, but dont try to start the volts drop steadily and slowly down to about 7 V. Obviously when I turn the key nothing happens not enough power. It only seems to do this first thing in the morning. Once the truck is started via a charger or a boost the volt meter reads 14.3 ish V on the meter, and the truck runs well. This leads me to believe that it is not an alternator problem. After the volts have dropped to 7 if i turn the key off and dont try to start the truck the volts come back up to read just above 12 V in a couple minutes. Does this sound like a battery issue to any one else? could there be a short in the elec. system? or is there any other possible issues that have escaped me? I just installed a spare battery in the truck and the truck started fine. I will monitor the issue in the following days, maybe this will solve the problem, and I can buy a new battery. Thanks for any and all ideas. :r&r:
Stryker 440, Cobra 29 LTD ST, Cobra 29 LTD Harley Davidson, Cobra 29 LTD (side mic) , Cobra 148 GTL, Uniden Grant XL, Uniden PC66XL, Lil Will, K40, Wilson 1000 White
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: Is my battery dead? or dying?

Post by drdx »

That sounds like a battery. My jeep did that once. It would barely start, had marginal voltage, and barely run when cold, then after a few min. of driving it would get enough charge to sustain smooth operation. This was on a brand new optima battery. Evidently it had sat on the shelf too long. Go to autozone and have them test it, they'll do it for free. If it was your alternator you'd be having to jump it. Once your car loses the alternator it pretty much turns into a big flashlight, battery wise, but I guess the alternator could just be poorly performing but I'm guessing it is the battery. What kind of shape is the wiring harness that goes to the battery and alternator in, and the terminals? Does the battery have any prorated warranty left?

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Im with the good doctor on this one. Go to autozone, or O'reilly. My work has a tester that will say what the cold cranking amperage is. It also reads the voltage etc. Not sure if a regular DMM will tell you CCA. But, most of those places will test it for free. If the battery is older then 5 years or has excessive corrosion, that may give you a bit of a clue. Once your vehicle is running, the battery has nothing to do with operation.
mat_me
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: mag mount wilson 100
Radio: Stryker 440

Post by mat_me »

the wiring harness looks good. I started the truck and disconnected the battery and the truck ran fine so it doesnt seem likely the alternator is bad. As far as th battery, I have had the truck for 2.5 years and this was the battery that it came with so i am guessing there is not likely any warranty left. The battery looks old aswell. And it is winter here so the cold weather is amplifying and battery problems aswell. I will take the battery into part source and see if they can test it and give me a definate answer to the condition. Thanks DRDX for the quick reply. :r&r:
Stryker 440, Cobra 29 LTD ST, Cobra 29 LTD Harley Davidson, Cobra 29 LTD (side mic) , Cobra 148 GTL, Uniden Grant XL, Uniden PC66XL, Lil Will, K40, Wilson 1000 White
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

Like Gunny stated, the only thing a Battery in a vehicle does is start the engine , that's it. Once running the entire vehicle is powered by electricty generated by the engine itself. When they start cranking rough, check alternator output to verify that it is good, if it checks out replace that battery and keep on truckin. That's the bad thing about batterys , they usually give you no warning , they just go out. And temperature can play a big part in it too, a batterys worst enemy is extreme cold.

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
maters
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by maters »

Be careful doing the disconnect the battery to test the alternator thing on newer vehicles . The ecu is sensitive to voltage spikes.
knuckle1947
Donor
Donor
Antenna: PT99
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by knuckle1947 »

maters wrote:Be careful doing the disconnect the battery to test the alternator thing on newer vehicles . The ecu is sensitive to voltage spikes.
what maters said ...... your battery is shot ...

@ sportymike ... don't want to start an argument, but HEAT is actually worse for a battery. just sayin' ..... knuckle1947
Timm ... 235 Central Arizona .... 38 LSB
Polish Eagle
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: RCI2950, Cobra 2000

Post by Polish Eagle »

Where you live it sounds like a trip to Canadian Tire. Have them check the battery I agree with the others. 90+% that is your issue.
Polish Eagle / NJ 818
Base Radios
Cobra 2000
RCI 2950DX, Uniden Washington, Cobra 139XLR
D-104 Silver Eagle
Turner Plus Three
Mobile Radios
Cobra 139XLR
Cobra 29
Galaxy 979
Uniden 520
Wilson 1000