Route to take installing 16 pill

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Tracker/131
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Route to take installing 16 pill

Post by Tracker/131 »

HI everybody,

I am fixing to put a 16 pill in my truck.was wondering if a motormaul was the way to go.ford truck,diesel.i have two batterys
also two factory alternaters =160+160= 320 amps. would the 160 amp alt run the maul and 4 batterys our should i up grade one alternater. I have a 2x4 for a driver should i use this carefully our get a 1x4. Thanks for any help.
Tracker/131
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: Route to take installing 16 pill

Post by Tracker/131 »

any help please.
the_junkie

Post by the_junkie »

glad to hear about the power upgrade!

Your alts are fine, I would get a 400amp motormaul, from xforce or fatboy, and 4 group 31 batteries. These are the big semi batteries, and are 925cca.

You don't want to run your driver box off of the maul, as you don't want to volt them both.

Another thought-If you have room under your hood, get a third alternator, and run to a really big battery bank. The maul and batts would prolly be cheaper, and lighter though lol.

I know mojo also sells worldwide mauls, so there is another option.

if you can do alts, then that is always a little better, but leece-nevilles and a regulator for them all get expensive.
Tracker/131
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tracker/131 »

Thanks Junkie,
I plan to run my driver off of one of the orignal batterys not shure if i should use the starting battery or the other, i guess it takes care of the other electric stuff i am not shure.

will have to use motor maul no room under hood for extra alternator. where could i find those group 31 batterys say a local big truck shop.73's
Thanks for the come back!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

160 + 160 = 320amps....OK. That will run the 16-pill...

What are you planing on using to run the truck, and driver? I don't see anything left over. :roll:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
the_junkie

Post by the_junkie »

jessejamesdallas wrote:160 + 160 = 320amps....OK. That will run the 16-pill...

What are you planing on using to run the truck, and driver? I don't see anything left over. :roll:
At high rpms, it will run it, but who wants to rev their truck ever time u want to talk? Most alternators don't put out their full potential till at least 3000 rpm. At idle, they will do 105 from my research, so 210 would not run that box well in my opinion. I still think that the motormaul or more alts is the way to go...
Tracker/131
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tracker/131 »

Howdy . top of the day jjd & j

I am going with the 400 amp motormaul .one 160 amp alt for truck and what ever else. one 160 alt + motormaul + 4 batterys + 16 pill box. will run my driver off truck battery.just want to know if i should up grade one alt or not. with useing the motormaul or would 160.amp alt. work well with the motormaul and the 4 batterys.thanks for the come back.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Tracker/131 wrote:Howdy . top of the day jjd & j

I am going with the 400 amp motormaul .one 160 amp alt for truck and what ever else. one 160 alt + motormaul + 4 batterys + 16 pill box. will run my driver off truck battery.just want to know if i should up grade one alt or not. with useing the motormaul or would 160.amp alt. work well with the motormaul and the 4 batterys.thanks for the come back.
Although I can't speak from experience on Motor Mauls...But from what I have read, you should be able to run that 16-pill, with the 400 amp Maul, and 4 battery's, and just one of your alternators...The whole idea behind the Mauls, was so you can run the Big Box's, with your stock alternators....(Unless you start getting into the 24 and 32 Pill Amps, then I believe they recommend up-grading the alternators)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
3strucking
Donor
Donor
Handle: 893

Post by 3strucking »

the_junkie wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:160 + 160 = 320amps....OK. That will run the 16-pill...

At high rpms, it will run it, but who wants to rev their truck ever time u want to talk? Most alternators don't put out their full potential till at least 3000 rpm. At idle, they will do 105 from my research, so 210 would not run that box well in my opinion. I still think that the motormaul or more alts is the way to go...

Alts built for diesel powered trucks are pulleyed for full output at lower rpm. For example in my peterbilt my alt puts out 250 amps at 1500 rpm and max rpm is 2100.
there are some brand names that set the standard of quality and performance by which all others are judged.

PETERBILT-CATERPILLAR-GALAXY-GATOR TECHNOLOGY-BIRD ELECTRONICS
busdriver389
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: rci 2950, 93T,99V

Post by busdriver389 »

I run my box from a 400 amp maul. I have 4 batts to start my truck, and 4 batts for the maul. the maul batts are charged from the truck batts with a 160 amp alt. The reason for that is if I run down my maul batts(has'nt happened yet) my truck still starts.
We're all going to die, but I've got a helmet.
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

my buddy ran a motormaul with his 16 pill for YEARS with no issues. i like em.
Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...
sugarcane

Post by sugarcane »

Where can you get those 31 batteries?? :DJ:
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

sams club, costco, autozone, advance auto
napa
Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MECHMAN »

You would only need two of the Powermaster AGM D3100s. They are a little more expensive than a flooded group 3100 from a truck stop, but you only need half as many, so the cost works out to be the same. You could easily run your twin stock alts on two D3100 powermasters and run that setup. We have them for $349 shipped, 3 year warranty and they are completely sealed so you can mount them anywhere.
Call us for all your high output alternator and battery needs !!
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN
Alien Abductor

Post by Alien Abductor »

alternators > motormaul
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MECHMAN »

Alien Abductor wrote:alternators > motormaul

x2. It's a basic law of physics, energy cannot be created. All a MotorMaul does is regulate the voltage from a battery bank. You will still have to charge the battery bank back up somehow...

It's cheaper and more simple to just do a good alternator setup with a good battery bank. (which you have to have with OR without a motor Maul anyway)
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN
rubicon
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy/ icom/ tram

Post by rubicon »

I run my 16 pill driven davemade by a Skullcracka 1by2. I had to add a leese neville 320A alt to my existing 160A upgraded factory alt in my 95 jeep wrangler. I am only running Dual trojan 12v 1200cca batteries hooked together in parallel ( still for a total of 12 volts).
Everything on the rig runs from this setup including my amps.
I can key it fine at idle, with a smaller puller for more output at idle, and still have a little voltage drop unless I rev up to about 1000 rpm's
I hope this helps with your overall choice.
Mr. Old school meets new school- mosfets and tetrodes united.
From up in Audio county and a member of the Broadcast Click in the NWC,
Droppin this Skullcracka Tetrode like an RF Frieght train.
p71vic
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by p71vic »

I run a stock 200 amp cop alternator on my old crown vic. 400 amp motormaul with 3 big batteries. Volted to 15v.
Runs my 16 in great style.

Welding cable was a LOT cheaper then regular battery cable when hooking up the maul.

Do not forget to leave a gas escape for the batteries. They will get hot and vent. Will gag you and create a potentially explosive situation.

A local here used 18v batteries from summit to power his. Talks the talk. Just way pricier than my junk set-up.
BIG R 184
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: GRANT XL ,

Post by BIG R 184 »

I RUN A 16 PILL ON A XFORCE 400 AMP MOTOR MAUL . 2 D8S 2 GROUP 31 BATTS. 2X4 DRIVER WITH 2 GROUP 31S. ALL ON 1 200 AMP ALT. IT WORKS GREAT FOR ME WITH AC ON. GOT MY FIRST MOTOR MAUL IN 1997 BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE. I RUN AT 16 VOLTS. I WOULD RECOMEND THE MOTOR MAUL IF NO ROOM FOR ALT.
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MECHMAN »

We carry the 16Volt Powermaster batteries also. Nominal system voltage on a 16 volt battery with an alternator charging it is 19.2 volts. Not sure if that is compatible with your box, but you could easily run a dual voltage system.

In my truck, I have the stock 12 volt alternator and a D2400 AGM battery under the hood to run the truck and it's regular accessories.

I then have two 250 amp alternators set a 19.2 volts charging four D1000 16v AGM batteries under the bed to power the amplifiers. The beauty of this setup is that no matter what the current demands are on the seccondary charging system, my voltage remains constant for the truck. (headlights don't dim, voltage doesn't fluxuate, etc...)

It was really very simple to set up.
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

linearone wrote:my buddy ran a motormaul with his 16 pill for YEARS with no issues. i like em.
I agree. I made a lot of them a while back. The later ones were all solid state and made no noise. The only problem is that no one wants to to pay more than the others on the market. A lot of them I have seen are under built and just barely hold together. I know if you run a big carrier for a long time a lot them on the market will come apart.
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"