Motor Maul

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
The Bull
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Thebull
Antenna: Predator 10k
Radio: Conrad 29ltd “sparky tuned”

Motor Maul

Post by The Bull »

Dose anyone know if there are plans out there to build your own motor maul? is it even posible?
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

I'm sure it is possible to construct one. After all, they do. Basically, it is a brain that has a relay and a regulator circuit, and that relay is RF triggered to disconnect it from the vehicle when transmitting. The regulator part allows "volting". Am I remotely close here? I'm just guessing and curious. Great question.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
The Bull
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by The Bull »

ya drdx i konw its a good question, im lookin to build my own
The Bull
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by The Bull »

dose anyone have pics of the inside of a motor maul?
Thunder1337
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Thunder1337 »

Here's a good vid of one being used thats all I could find so far.
The Bull
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Re: Motor Maul

Post by The Bull »

ya thunder thats all i can find, these things must be a deep secrect
Darkskies
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy DX55

Post by Darkskies »

I had the oportunity to investagate a buddy of mine's 400A motor maul. I was able to reproduce the voltage regulation circuit and I'm currently converting a 24V 150A fork lift battery charger into a variable regulated power supply so I can run my 1X4 mobile box on my base station. The voltage regulation circuit is simply controlled by a LM317T variable voltage regulator circuit thats driving 8 2N3055 NPN power transistors that are capable of 15A each. Of course there are several other electronic parts like diodes, resistors and capacitors and such but all in all it's pretty basic. My first prototype consisted of the 317 circuit and 4 3055's. With this design I was able to run a T/S Killer Bee with a 24V 50A unregulated power supply at regulated to 15V without any problem. The voltage drop was about a half a volt with no signs of over amping my circuit. If I can talk my buddy into letting me gander inside his motor maul again, I'm going to get the solenoid wiring figured out and try building my own maul.
Did I mention I love electronics ?

Have a good day........
of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
Alien Abductor

Re:

Post by Alien Abductor »

I wouldnt suggest building one if its your first project, if your experienced with electronics and understand how they work then go for it.
skeeter
Donor
Donor

Post by skeeter »

i had all intentions to build one. i looked in one and closed up the case and called worldwide and orderd a 400 amp. a homemade one can be done but in my opinion you are just paying for the reliability and the precision from a professional and it is well worth it my friend.
livin life one-lap-at-a-time.
skeeter in the southeastern buckeye wavin a hand from the driver seat of the mudduck mobile.
executioner
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Executioner

Post by executioner »

Darkskies wrote:I had the oportunity to investagate a buddy of mine's 400A motor maul. I was able to reproduce the voltage regulation circuit and I'm currently converting a 24V 150A fork lift battery charger into a variable regulated power supply so I can run my 1X4 mobile box on my base station. The voltage regulation circuit is simply controlled by a LM317T variable voltage regulator circuit thats driving 8 2N3055 NPN power transistors that are capable of 15A each. Of course there are several other electronic parts like diodes, resistors and capacitors and such but all in all it's pretty basic. My first prototype consisted of the 317 circuit and 4 3055's. With this design I was able to run a T/S Killer Bee with a 24V 50A unregulated power supply at regulated to 15V without any problem. The voltage drop was about a half a volt with no signs of over amping my circuit. If I can talk my buddy into letting me gander inside his motor maul again, I'm going to get the solenoid wiring figured out and try building my own maul.
Did I mention I love electronics ?

Have a good day........
Please tell us what electronic compnents you will be using to pass 400A of current.
That could be allot of 2N3055's !(like around 30) :biggrin:
busdriver389
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: rci 2950, 93T,99V

Post by busdriver389 »

I have a home built 400a. It was built by a local ham guy. One of these days I'm going to take it apart, so I can copy it.
We're all going to die, but I've got a helmet.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

What about a very basic maul, one that just allowed the multiple batteries and that would take the vehicle out of the mix when keyed, and not worrying about volting, just a stock voltage deal with an rf triggered relay. Heck, it could be just electrically triggered, like an hf amp.

Then, build from there, but that would offer the bandaid that a motormaul offers. Volting will give you a bump, but even if the volting doubled the power, that's not much as far as signal in the big picture.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx