16 VDC setup

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Connex,Cobra

16 VDC setup

Post by 403 »

Can someone give me some ideas on how to run a 16 to 20 volt system in my ride to run a amp??? Thanks
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

add another alternator without internal voltage regulator
run 2 cables of 1 or 2/0 cable from alternator to batteries which are

2 8 volts
sit them side by side attach a pos to a neg
then on the outside post of battery you hook your cables to those
then hook your amp to the pos and neg post of the 2-8 volts
hook up a external voltage regulator dial in up to where it is charging at 17 to 17.5 volts

make fore sure you antenna system is perfect if all this wont matter
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
linx

Post by linx »

The best way to run 16-20v is to add a 6v battery. You do not want to run 16-20v through your cars stock charging system. If you are not wanting to add a second alternator, I recommend this:

Run a Positive wire from the positive side of your 12v in your car to the Negative side of a 6v battery. Run the Positive side of the 6v battery to your Positive of your amp. Run the Negative of your amp to a ground (eg. frame).

In most cars/trucks this give 18v. 12v+6v. In a system with a high performance alternator, this can give up to 22v depending on your alternator output.

The only downside is you cannot charge the 6v battery from your stock 12v system. So, the 6v will have to be pulled out and recharged from time to time. I keep a trickle charger in my pickup and charge the 6v about once a week and it works great.

Enjoy, and always use a voltmeter to test voltage before hooking up to your equipment.
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Connex,Cobra

16 VDC setup

Post by 403 »

Thanks linx.If i was to add a second alt and battery what would you recommend????
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

just like i stated earlier or just do it the easy way
find a alternator and some jumper cables and a extra battery open the trunk lid and throw all that crap inside in a pile then slam the lid shut call it done.

if that's to easy do it the way i stated since you first asked about installing a 16 volts system
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone