Solar energy

This is the place to get help with batteries, alternators, and charging system's.

Moderator: JR Moderator

14MDX1035F57
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: PRESIDENT BENJAMIN
Name: Frank
Home Phone: NoPhNumber

Solar energy

Post by 14MDX1035F57 » Sunday, 11 July 2010, 2:47 AM

Hello,

I have just realized a power supply with solar energy for my station.
The page is in French.
http://14mdx1035f57.perso.sfr.fr/Radio/ ... nergie.htm

Best regards

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: Solar energy

Post by 'Doc » Sunday, 11 July 2010, 5:32 AM

Solar power will certainly work! But it does have some requirements. First, you'd better have lots of sunshine. You will still need a storage bank of batteries, and some regulation to feed them. And the biggy, those solar cells are just not very economical (as in cheap) unless you find a few surplus.
I have a friend that lived where there was no power lines available. He relied on battery power for all of his electrical needs, which isn't very 'convenient' at times. He did some checking for solar cell charging, and did have a 'surplus' source for those cells. It still wasn't very economical, but better than paying for a new power line run the distance it would have to go.
- 'Doc

tubehead
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: $5 cb
Name: robert

Post by tubehead » Sunday, 05 December 2010, 17:50 PM

im an avid fan of solar. i ran floridas only 100% solar power repeater until lightning took it out. panels are pricey but can be found used. get glass face, silicone cell panels. they will easily last 15 years or more.
------------------------------------------
waving a hand from the bikini state..
thumper's out!

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Post by hilltop 439 » Sunday, 05 December 2010, 18:42 PM

I had a thought while reading this topic and it was about wind power . Theres a doctor that live a town below me and he installed a wind mill that generates alot of electricity .In fact it is so much that he powers his home and his neighbor cottage with plenty to spare. He has batteries and such as the last posts discribed accept his system is wired into the power grid of the town . When his system is fully charged he can sell the power generated by the wind mill to the power company in the area . So in time the whole power system will have paid for itself and he will have free electricity minus the maintenance cost.It is certainly something to think about seeings everthing is going up in price these days.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

sparky17
Donor
Donor
Name: sparky

Post by sparky17 » Monday, 06 December 2010, 13:05 PM

Translated link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... nergie.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a very nice looking install job you did there. Good job!

Really need at least 50 watt or more to really be able to have your radio receive all the time, unless you have a nice low power setup. I think my Galaxy 979 draws about 4-5 watts constant on receive if I recall (~1 watt less if you turn off/down the lighted face). We average 2-6 'sun hours' a day, my radio consumes over 100 watts a day, so not counting inefficiencies in charging (~80% efficiency to charge lead acid batteries) or unusual cloudyness, it would need at least 50 watts for 24 hour duty, or 25 watts for 12 hour duty for the winter months. (50 x 2 sun hours for winter = 100 watt /hours, for summer it would be 300 watt/hours.)

I ran a setup like this for a year or two (only a 5 watt panel).. I just used the supplied clamps from the panel, and had severe corrosion on the positive wire for about 20 feet (copper turned black for 20 feet). Negative wire was completely clean however. The clamp literally melted away in that time as well and eventually no longer conducted at all.

Neat as a novelty, and good to have for the impending zombie apocalypse, but I never wanted to drain down the battery, and opted to use the power supplies instead since I had undersized the panels and wanted to keep them charged...

Harbor freight has 5 watt panels for ~$50. If you look around on fleabay you can find bundle deals of loose cells that you need to solder up, for ~$50 for 65 watts of panels.. You'd need glass, a metal frame and some wire/tabs to solder it all up.

PRO151
Donor
Donor
Referrals: 1

Post by PRO151 » Monday, 06 December 2010, 19:11 PM

Good article with good directions, even if Google Translate sometimes just can't quite get it right.

"Prepare an ancient material, a flavor like no other." :mrgreen:

Radio: The Original Wireless Communication.
Exellence is Expected.
Perfection will be Tolerated.
We must all Agree to Disagree Agreeably.

Black Dog 151, North Alabama. 1, 10, 15, 19 & 26

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff87 ... 1%20Shack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff87 ... %20Radios/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona » Wednesday, 01 April 2015, 11:14 AM

reviving this 5 year old thread because things are cheaper , better now.
last year i had bought the harbor fright crap,, thats right, it was no where near a quality unit.
so then i bought an alum. framed, 100 watt panel, 25yr warantee, for $130, they have come down even more since last year.
a controller was $14 plus ship.

i use to run a 12 battery for my base radio years ago,(because it was a mobile unit), and i found out that good clean power was crucial for best radio performance.
with the price of solar now, i am trying to transition more and more. :idea:

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 01 April 2015, 13:58 PM

Solar power is an interesting topic and depending on the area you live acceptable but in Maryland cloud cover would require a larger than normal storage array. I receive phone calls about solar systems all the time and tell them when they get into wind power than give me a call, I have never recorded many days (and nights!!!) that the wind in my area is below 5mph.
JMO.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona » Tuesday, 06 October 2015, 4:09 AM

i was experimenting with a homemade windmill, an old alum. A/C cooling blade mounted to an alternator.
thought about a pmdc motor as a generator too.
lots of stuff demonstrated these days on video posts.
i would love to get back into this and experiment/build some self-sustanability.
i even went as far as smeltering aluminum with large fresnel lens.
boiling water with a copper solar panel.
Arizona has the sunlight,,,thats for SURE...
why i even went as far as using it to get a tan,, :lol: :icon_rolleyes: :puke_l: :geek:

Drifter5
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Ron

Post by Drifter5 » Sunday, 01 May 2016, 17:53 PM

A good and cheap solar experiment project would be to convert a truck bed of a pickup truck to a truck bed camper. There are a lot of videos on people converting them on youtube. Before I got lucky and bought my home for 5 grand, I was going to buy a prefabricated cabin and go off grid. Solar/Wind power, a well and some propane for the small cabin. Many famers would be happy to split an acre of land for someone wanting to have an off-grid cabin.

- Drifter

maverick01
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: bret

Post by maverick01 » Saturday, 03 June 2017, 15:39 PM

Been running solar on the cheap. Got a Harbor Freight 45W Solar Kit with coupon for a mere $129 back in 2009. A battery recently at Rual King for $69 group 27 RV/Marine Deep Cycle to replace the old one I had from Advanced Auto.

Both CB and 2M radios run long hours for listening. I can get 3 days for talking using both radios at stock settings. The 2M low power is 10W. SSB peak at 12W too.

If a kicker is used, it better be low power for 25W to 50W.

AND have a good charge controller and good blocking diodes in the circuit. Fuses are a must need too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic