Galaxy DX2547 Base Output?

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
kraftwerk1976

Galaxy DX2547 Base Output?

Post by kraftwerk1976 »

:?: Hi, guys. An easy question for you owners of this radio, but what will the above radio do output wise via the variable "RF Power" knob on the front of the radio? 2 to 4 watts, or a bit lower on the low end? Would be good to know if I want to use an amplifier with it. Thanks guys, and have a great Christmas. P.S., is it the same story with the Galaxy dx979 ssb mobile? Thanks.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Galaxy DX2547 Base Output?

Post by sonoma »

service manual for this radio is on cbtricks web site. it will tell you what to do to adjust all the radio components.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

It should allow you from 1-4 watts of dead key. This is by using the RF power control for the DX2547. The 979 is the same. 1-4 watts or thereabouts. These radios most likely will need a proper tune and alignment for the nest performance. Don't have any limiters clipped!! Just a tune and alignment!! The dx2547 uses the same board as the 959, all tuning points should be identical. CBradiomagazine did a good review of the radio as well. You can find the mods for the radio on cbtricks most likely using the dx959 as a guide for adjustments. If you don't have the proper gear to complete a tune and alignment, find yourself a good tech and send it out!! JMHO. Hope some of the info helps. Merry Christmas and enjoy your new toy!![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Galaxy DX2547 is a fine base station, like 1206FL said it does require an alignment, most Galaxy radios are off frequency right out of the box. Personally I don't see the need for a RF power control on a 4w radio but it comes with one. After a (mild) tune it should PEP about 18w on AM and 20+ on SSB depending on the final. The only downside to the radio is a small power supply. Like said the PCB is the same as the 949 and 959, the 979 is smaller and different.
I've been watching for one locally to play with, getting a larger PS to fix inside the case and do a dual final mod.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
kraftwerk1976

Post by kraftwerk1976 »

Thanks, guys. Regardless of what people think of the 2547, I have always thought it was at least a good looking radio...same color scheme as my President P400 (Same as Uniden Washington for those of you that might not know), haha. I was thinking of the 979, specifically, for the pickup. I have one of those Havis brand center consoles in my Silverado that hold several radios, and you have to order brackets that are sized for your radios. Well, I have a Cobra 29 Black Chrome in there (I love black faced radios and I just wanted a "stock" CB in there, no particular reason why, haha), BUT I also wanted sideband, which the 979 has, and as a plus, the 979 has the same width and height dimension that fits the Cobra 29 Havis bracket, so I won't have to purchase a new bracket.
Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

I have one. Had it tuned and it works great. Had a mod done to the clarifier, as these radios due tend to frequency drift some. Once warmed up works like a charm and I have been told mine sounds like a HF radio.

I like the RF power dial as it allows me to crank it up when barefoot or turn it down some when sending it through an Amp.

Dead key AM output after tuning is 6 watts sideband is 28 watts.

I really like mine after having it tuned and some mods done to it. Great DX radio.

Hope you enjoy yours.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. :biggrin:
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
Tweetybird
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Tweetybird
Antenna: Max 2000
Radio: 2517 /2995

Post by Tweetybird »

I have had the 2547 since April and am very happy with it. It does about the same as Scholar's radio, except it goes from 2 watts to 10 watts on am (if my Para Dynamic meter is correct) and SSB in the ball park of 28. I had the tune package done from where I bought it. Like Scholar said it does have some a very small drift when cold but after a short warm up it is pretty stable.
kraftwerk1976

Post by kraftwerk1976 »

Scholar, after the clarifier mod., how many khz did it go up and go down? Just curious if it is more than the 3 down and almost 2 my P400 has. No biggie regardless. Edit: One more thing I would like to know is, straight out of the box, do they have that "louder" audio Galaxy radios are known for? Don't mind loud audio, as long as no limiter has been cut and is now over modulating. Thanks
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

The audio can be tailored to your wants by using a good mic. The RF Limited 2018 extreme works well with the Galaxy DX55 I have and it gets great audio reports. My dx55 is stock, no mods. The audio you speak of will be more predominant on AM vs. SSB. Galaxy radios are known for having some good audio on AM, they just drift on SSB a bit. You want a radio that is solid on both SSB and AM, might want to look at something like the Lincoln 2 or the new Magnum 1. Both use TXCO instead and have much better stability on SSB. And like I said you can make your audio "boom" with a good mic. JMHO. Looks like GI Joes may have them in stock or will soon. Might want to call them to see. Just some food for thought. Here is some info on the magnum 1, which is basically a maxlog m8900 with some added stuff by RF limited. Anyway, here you go. ImageImageImage
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

But since you already have the 2547, get it tuned and aligned an get a good mic for it. Like I said, the 2018 extreme or even the CR577 by RF limited are both great mics and will wake audio on most radios. Even my Uniden 980 sounds great with the 2018 extreme. Wakes the audio up on it for sure!! Again, have fun with the new radio and Merry Christmas!!!
Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

kraftwerk1976 wrote:Scholar, after the clarifier mod., how many khz did it go up and go down? Just curious if it is more than the 3 down and almost 2 my P400 has. No biggie regardless. Edit: One more thing I would like to know is, straight out of the box, do they have that "louder" audio Galaxy radios are known for? Don't mind loud audio, as long as no limiter has been cut and is now over modulating. Thanks

As an example of the clarifier adjustment, on channel 38 LSB the clarifier will adjust from 27.3802 to 27.3878. Good for what I want. Out of the box audio was good but I found a good mic makes a lot of difference in any radio you have. I run a MFJ-299 mic on my radio and it sounds great. Once you adjust the mic it works real good and great for DX.

Like any radio out there, there are people who like them or hate them. All I can say is I like my Galaxy, especially after having it tuned. As well, I like a Kenwood for HF radios. I like Ford trucks, Canon camera's etc. People all have their preferences for anything they purchase. Since you already have the Galaxy I would get it tuned by a reputable radio crank and enjoy it.

Merry Christmas :lol:
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

cbtricks has the complete service manual and about all the mods that can be done to it on their site. you will really like this radio. as others have said a good peak and tune needs to be done to the radio if it has not been done. they are just adjusted in the ballpark when you take it right out of the box. it still works just fine but a good peak and tune will waken the radio up to its full potential.