Can't find any info on Realistic TRC-455

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Realistic

Can't find any info on Realistic TRC-455

Post by fletchman919 »

Hi all! New to the site and new to base stations. I'm glad I found this site. Lots of good stuff here. I have a few basic questions for those of you in the know.

I have been using basic CB rigs in my vehicles for the past few years, but I don't know much about them other than hooking them up and calibrating the SWR. I have been wanting a base station for a few years, but never knew what to buy. This morning I stopped at a garage sale and found a Realistic TRC-455. It appears to be in great condition and came with an operating manual. I plugged it in for a few seconds to see if it worked and briefly keyed the mic. It all checked out so I bought it for $20. I haven't had much luck finding any information or reviews on it so any help there would be great.

My wife and I own an 18 acre camp (as we call it) that we stay at on the weekends. She frequently takes her golf cart down to the creek which is about a mile away through the woods. My plan is to setup a base in the cabin and hook a mobile unit in her golf cart in case we need to contact each other. The walkie-talkies don't work because the woods are too thick and the terrain is too rugged. I'd also like to use the base when we travel to the local store a few miles away and for the occasional rainy day to pass some time talking with a stranger.

Now for the questions. :bom:

I know I need a coaxial cable, but is there a certain kind? My manual says an impedance of 50 ohms and suggests RG-58/U for short lengths and RG-8/U for long lengths. I don't know what that means or know if that type of cable still exists today! Do I want short or long?

What type of antenna should I get? I have seen a few different styles and don't want to get the wrong kind.

How/where do I mount it? We are surrounded by trees! o I simply mount it as high as I can on the roof of the cabin?

I read in the operating manual something about needing a FCC Class D license. Do I need to get that? :confused:
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Can't find any info on Realistic TRC-455

Post by dirtyjob »

I know I need a coaxial cable, but is there a certain kind? My manual says an impedance of 50 ohms and suggests RG-58/U for short lengths and RG-8/U for long lengths. I don't know what that means or know if that type of cable still exists today! Do I want short or long? : Use what you need to make the run from antenna to radio, most use 50feet some use 75 feet and others use 100feet, totally depends on how long the run requires, rg8x is what i use, its well shielded and flexable and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

What type of antenna should I get? I have seen a few different styles and don't want to get the wrong kind. - most likely want an omni directional, something like an antron 99 or a imax2000 will work well and again is cost effective.

How/where do I mount it? We are surrounded by trees! o I simply mount it as high as I can on the roof of the cabin? Throw in on the roof/ in a tree or on a tower. Get it as high as you can for best results.

I read in the operating manual something about needing a FCC Class D license. Do I need to get that? - NO
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fletchman919 »

dirtyjob wrote:I know I need a coaxial cable, but is there a certain kind? My manual says an impedance of 50 ohms and suggests RG-58/U for short lengths and RG-8/U for long lengths. I don't know what that means or know if that type of cable still exists today! Do I want short or long? : Use what you need to make the run from antenna to radio, most use 50feet some use 75 feet and others use 100feet, totally depends on how long the run requires, rg8x is what i use, its well shielded and flexable and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

What type of antenna should I get? I have seen a few different styles and don't want to get the wrong kind. - most likely want an omni directional, something like an antron 99 or a imax2000 will work well and again is cost effective.

How/where do I mount it? We are surrounded by trees! o I simply mount it as high as I can on the roof of the cabin? Throw in on the roof/ in a tree or on a tower. Get it as high as you can for best results.

I read in the operating manual something about needing a FCC Class D license. Do I need to get that? - NO
Thank you! I will start the hunt for the items you suggested.

I read somewhere that with a directional antenna, I may need a rotating base or something like that. Is that correct?

-- Saturday, 25 April 2015, 19:18 PM --

I started reading more about antennas and answered my own question. I have located the items and will be assembling my base when the components arrive. I'll let you know how it works. Thank you!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello fletchman919,
No, no more licensing for CB by the FCC and I would key the mic anymore without a load (antenna or dummy load). For the base station the antennas dirtyjob suggested are good or if you have the room a good ground plane like the HyGain super Penetrator 500 would be excellent, a beam might come into play but after you get use to the radio and such. A small cobra 19 or such will work on the golf cart, that is on most of the carts at my campground. I would use RG8 or RG213 for the base antenna coax. To mount the antenna you could use a tripod on the roof or a pushup pole on the side of the cabin, a tower is nice but the cost is high.
After you get setup then we can help some mods to the radio, make that another topic.
As a new member could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum"topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 so others can say "hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fletchman919 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Hello fletchman919,
No, no more licensing for CB by the FCC and I would key the mic anymore without a load (antenna or dummy load). For the base station the antennas dirtyjob suggested are good or if you have the room a good ground plane like the HyGain super Penetrator 500 would be excellent, a beam might come into play but after you get use to the radio and such. A small cobra 19 or such will work on the golf cart, that is on most of the carts at my campground. I would use RG8 or RG213 for the base antenna coax. To mount the antenna you could use a tripod on the roof or a pushup pole on the side of the cabin, a tower is nice but the cost is high.
After you get setup then we can help some mods to the radio, make that another topic.
As a new member could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum"topic, so others can say "hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
Awesome! I will look into the ground plane antenna you mentioned. Not sure what a beam is yet, but I'll try to figure it out. :mrgreen:

The Cobra 19 is exactly what I was planning on using in the golf cart. It's the same radio I've been using in my truck for the past few years. It's very basic but it does the job I need it to do and is small.

I'm glad you mentioned mods as that's something I'd possibly like to do in the future.

I'll post an intro now. Thanks you!
fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fletchman919 »

I am having some trouble choosing an antenna mount. I decided to go with the imax200 and need some help choosing the correct mount. I'm not sure if I'm looking at mounts that will work. Would someone post a link to a mount that is compatible with the imax2000?

Also, our cabin is made out of metal siding and roof. Will this be a problem?
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

Since you have a metal building and roof you'll want to get the base of the antenna above the roof line for best results. At minimum 1/4 wave length(about 9') but again the higher the better.
fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fletchman919 »

Buzzweiser wrote:Since you have a metal building and roof you'll want to get the base of the antenna above the roof line for best results. At minimum 1/4 wave length(about 9') but again the higher the better.
Okay, so do I need a tower? I was hoping something more wallet friendly. :icon_e_surprised:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

fletchman919 wrote:
Buzzweiser wrote:Since you have a metal building and roof you'll want to get the base of the antenna above the roof line for best results. At minimum 1/4 wave length(about 9') but again the higher the better.
Okay, so do I need a tower? I was hoping something more wallet friendly. :icon_e_surprised:
Hey..

You don't really need a tower.

Google 'Tilt Base Antenna Mounting System' or put 2 or 3 sections of top fence railing together...enough to get your antenna over the roof line.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

fletchman919
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fletchman919 »

Bombero wrote:
fletchman919 wrote:
Hey..

You don't really need a tower.

Google 'Tilt Base Antenna Mounting System' or put 2 or 3 sections of top fence railing together...enough to get your antenna over the roof line.

Bombero
Okay, thanks Bombero!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

With a metal roof the best antenna for you is going to be one that has ground plane radials, the Maco or HyGain would work well, any metal under the plane is irrelevant. No you really don't need a tower , a good tripod will do, good ones aren't cheap but made to hold quite a bit and some are laddered to climb up to the antenna. Optimum height for a CB antenna is 36ft but not necessary.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department