4 element beam antenna's

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
HOUND DOG
Donor
Donor
Handle: Hound Dog
Antenna: Shooting Star
Radio: Many

4 element beam antenna's

Post by HOUND DOG »

I am looking at 4 element beam antennas. I see the maco 104C which has a power multiplication of 28x and a db gain of 14.
Then I look at the Jo Gunn 4 element conventional that has 50x power multiplication and a db gain of 15.5. What is it about the Jo gunns that make them have a higher power multiplication and perform so much better then the less expensive maco?
*In a Galaxy far far away*
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

IN short, they don't. In fact, the Maco may actually have a bit more gain
and better front to back ratio as well. Jo Gunn has ad writers that like
to write what people want to see rather than what really is. The maco is
longer and has better spacing on the boom of the elements.

OTOH...the 'gunn is built VERY sturdily and will handle all the power you
could ever want to put into it. It's not a bad antenna...they just aren't
real truthful about the gain you might see. The Maco exaggerates too,
but not nearly as much.
preacherman
Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

preacherman wrote:IN short, they don't. In fact, the Maco may actually have a bit more gain
and better front to back ratio as well. Jo Gunn has ad writers that like
to write what people want to see rather than what really is. The maco is
longer and has better spacing on the boom of the elements.

OTOH...the 'gunn is built VERY sturdily and will handle all the power you
could ever want to put into it. It's not a bad antenna...they just aren't
real truthful about the gain you might see. The Maco exaggerates too,
but not nearly as much.
preacherman
I agree 100% I could not have said it any better. :wink:
doctor

set up

Post by doctor »

They all say db gain for sales, but if it was me I would run the MACO, but each his own choice

doctor :shock:

Post by 231 »

The real question is "db gain over what?" (i.e. dbi or dbd)
None of them say...for a reason I suspect. :roll: Marketing...plain and simple. I too would be more partial to the Maco products out of the two choices. But if you are open to even better performance, consider a quad. By far they are at the top of the list of good performers. ;)
popeye

Post by popeye »

Don't mean to but in .......why do you like the quad better? I am in the process of looking for a beam and wanted to be sure before I bought.....I was looking at the maco "Shooting Star"...any help is appreciated. thanks
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

if I was were I could have a beam antenna I would run a quad, main reason is with a quad you have the option of running vertical, flat, or both. with just a regular 4 element beam for example you can only run flat or vertical depending how you set it when you put it up. if you only run flat side for dx then you wouldnt need a quad but if you talk local and dx then I think a quad would serve you better, my experience is local vertical works better and for dx works better I am not sure why but with my experience its how it worked for me.
DX47
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by DX47 »

Check out the 4 element beam from Sirio, from what people say they are made better than the macos, and are easier to put together. Cheaper too, they can be had for under 150.00 They are very popular in Europe.
trip7downunder
Donor
Donor

Re: 4 element

Post by trip7downunder »

Hmmmmmm jo-gunn has a power gain they claim on their super audio 8 of 150x. Who ever reads tis answer me this question. Can you get 25 db gain out of an antenna. I dont think so.
personally I would go for maco as you can modify the m104 to be a little performer. As I am in Australia I decided to make my own 8 element, so i purchased 2 programs, Yagi mechanic and eznec v4.0.
Many months of learning the program and all that i was ready to build. I needed a 5 kw gamma as we have nothing here like that. I called jo-gunn and im sorry to say they were rude on the phone , so I called maco and they helped me out and purchased their 5 kw gamma match kit. My antenna is similar to the Super audio 8 but longer. I spaced it my own custom way ensuring the current drps of as it is transferred to each element. In the end my antenna is 42 feet long with 15 db gain at 1.5 wavelengths above ground and 65db front to back ratio . Maco is more realistic to gain claims as i simulated the m108 and had only 1db less gain than mine.
Here is a webpage that has the specs to optimize a maco for 27.555 but you could changed element lengths to bring it down for 27 mhz http://signalengineering.com/ ... _yagi.html .... And if you would like to see few pics off my antenna and few watergates go to http://www.putfile.com/tripple7downunder

Just another thing 50x multiplication is like 17db and we all know that gain of an antenna is by element spacing rather than how many elements. BOOM length is the main factor and to claim 17db gain for a 4 element is a joke.. Cheers all have a good day. Trip is gone now
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Aside from hardware quality, the math on element length and spacing will largely determine things. That 28x power multiplication should be the figure for about 11.9 db, and they are saying 14, so that must be 14dbi. The 11.9 (dbd) is probably a realistic figure if the boom is long enough, although 10dbd is the standard figure I've read for a well assembled 4 element with a 1/2 wavelength or so boom. That 10 dbd would of course carry a 10x power multiplication and nice front to back ratio. Look into Mosely and Cushcraft as well. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Post by dud muck »

Jo Gunn specs are weird. They list gain, and then "audio gain", whatever that means.
Antenna gain needs to specified in dBi or dBd, Using dBi, the number will be 2.15dB more.

A list of dB gain verses watts multipication:
10dB = 10x
13dB = 20x
16dB = 40x
17dB = 50x
20dB = 100x
Unlimited power permitted on CH1 to CH27 as per FCC CFR 47 part 18: 18.305(a) and 18.301

Post by 231 »

popeye wrote:Don't mean to but in .......why do you like the quad better? I am in the process of looking for a beam and wanted to be sure before I bought.....I was looking at the maco "Shooting Star"...any help is appreciated. thanks
I've run the Shooting star and they are a decent performer. Their quad reflector sets them apart form a yagi. I personally prefer the quad reflector over the yagi reflector any day. Many years ago I compared the Shooting star to the old LongJohn 5 element (yagi) and the Shooting Star worked better.

Quads tend to work better with their full wavelength wire vs. a 1/2 wave dipole that a yagi has. Their receive quality is better too (typically)...rejecting some of the unwanted electrical noise that most yagis wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, yagi's work pretty darn good. But I've yet to hear anyone who's used a quad (assembled properly) say they didn't like it better than a yagi. And not all quads are dual polarity. As far as I know (and I could be wrong on this) the only current manufacturer that makes a dual polarity feed point quad is Signal Engineering.

Maybe we'll get luck and Century21 will jump in and give his experience with his quads. I know he's run several beams too...and last I heard he had stacked a couple of 5 element quads. :D

;)
BtyMONSTER

Post by BtyMONSTER »

what do you folks think of the wolf radio antennas ? their 4 element is $140 and their 5 element is $190 . they look pretty well made . but i havnt had a base in a long time and my antenna then was a penetrator 500 . ive been half way considering putting up a base . if i do im sure ill do an omni antenna first and maybe consider a beam later .
trip7downunder
Donor
Donor

Post by trip7downunder »

Dud Muck you are on the money right on. At a gain of 14 db the power multiplication is 25x. That is from William Orr's beam antenna handbook. Real figures. As other people have stated that Jo Gun does try to brain wash people no doubt with their outrageous figures.

And to answer Hound dogs question .What is it about the Jo gunns that make them have a higher power multiplication and perform so much better then the less expensive maco? Well it could not possibly perform to those figures but to sell the antenna why not tell 99's to make them sound far more superior , that is the answer and I'm back out
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

dud muck wrote:Jo Gunn specs are weird. They list gain, and then "audio gain", whatever that means.
Antenna gain needs to specified in dBi or dBd, Using dBi, the number will be 2.15dB more.

A list of dB gain verses watts multipication:
10dB = 10x
13dB = 20x
16dB = 40x
17dB = 50x
20dB = 100x
I agree what is "AUDIO GAIN" never heard that one?
Gain is measured over isotropic which is 0db or over a dipole 3db
10db over isotropic = 10db
10db over a dipole = 13db over isotropic
Check what their reference point is for gain.
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

True the Jo Gunn figures maybe way off but the beat a Junk Maco beam any day! Better forward gain,better rejection and better built hands down!!(and yes they are way over priced)
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Post by dud muck »

Popcorn501 wrote:True the Jo Gunn figures maybe way off but the beat a Junk Maco beam any day! Better forward gain,better rejection and better built hands down!!(and yes they are way over priced)
I wouldn't call the maco junk. Certainly the Jo Gunn is built better. The Jo Gunn is very sturdy, should survive a hurricane. But that will require a beefier tower and rotor.
As far as beating the maco, I doubt you could see enough difference to justify the price difference. When a signal skips off the ionosphere, the polarization is random.
The Jo Gunn is an awesome antenna if the cost is not an issue, its just that claim of "audio gain" for an antenna is just salesmanship.
Unlimited power permitted on CH1 to CH27 as per FCC CFR 47 part 18: 18.305(a) and 18.301
Century21

OK I WIll Reply

Post by Century21 »

A friend sent me a message to reply. Now, I read most of the replys all ready, and being 3 am here and just got back from a club with my sister and brother, im a little tired. This maybe a little lengthy, But, I CAN and will give examples and REAL life people running things my way....
Now, im not no big radio by no means. Why ? Heck i dont know, I run a 8 element quad, 45 foot long, NOT the SE's quad, I have had PDL II's, Moonrakers, Stacked V quads, 4 element MAco, 5 element Maco, 6 Element Quad, a 10 Element quad, 2 stacked 5 element quads,and about 5 home made beams.
Joe Gunns are over rated by far. Maco's are too. What are they getting these figures from? 36 ft off the ground or, 136 ft? Your guess is as good as mine. Is it DBD or DBI gain? For all arguments a 4 element has about 10 DBD if optimized and tuned to the height of Atleast 36 ft. Well you can get a little more gain, but with gain, you loose the back. And with a better back you loose some gain. And all of this could be real impressive. LETS say you have a 4 element, 60ft, claiming about 14 DBD. Where is your gain going? Ok, maybe not out the back, mostly out the front im sure. BUT, beams produce different lobes out the front at different angles. So how much gain is to each lobe with respect to the other? Also some beams depending on how they are set up, produce a lobe out the top...
A audio gain? From an antenna? NOPE not going to happen sorry Jo Gunn... Radios produce the audio. But that being said, as you increase in decibels there are so many bells in a decibel which is the smalled amount a human ear can pick up, it does make sense to say, yes if it is 8 DB more then the 0 DB Dipole. Then as the DB's increase the SOUND of the persons audio on someones receiver will also.
What, a yagi or a quad...
well a yagi produces better Short DX because its main lobes are high. And maybe better all around for DX, A quad has a lower angle which makes it a little more Superior in long Dx and 150 miles down the RD.
I talked to John Deere tonight on the superbowl. He is running a 6 element i helped design. ITs not the best, but it is all around a good setup for his conditions and requirements. I was sending 8 S-units. He is over 120 miles away, Its not ground waving. Its anytime he is lookin my way and im lookin his. If your ever on 6, on the weekends, you will hear him advertise a century21 antenna once in a while.
Kruked Polititian also runs a 8 element i designed. It was more a less experimental, but there are pictures of it on my site. It works awful well also.
A maco out of the box will do you well. Good all around performance. But if you want it right, you have to get a hold of somebody, that can tune it to your channel, and the EXACT height from the ground.
Joe Gunns got a great gain.... But the back door is not.... With higher gain you lose the back door.
I am willing to help design a beam for anyone. But you have to follow the directions exactly. I have another beam, 7 element going up soon in Oklahoma. They are all yagi's. You have to make up your mind what is it you want. DX, local, or a broadbanded beam.
But my motto has always been, any beam is better then no beam.
Hope this will help somehow. PM me if you need anything else.
Thanks
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

Posted: July 14 2007 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't call the maco junk.

Well i would,pure junk so cheaply built i wouldn't wast my hard earned money on them period.
Mississippifrog

Re: OK I WIll Reply

Post by Mississippifrog »

Century21 wrote:A friend sent me a message to reply. Now, I read most of the replys all ready, and being 3 am here and just got back from a club with my sister and brother, im a little tired. This maybe a little lengthy, But, I CAN and will give examples and REAL life people running things my way....
Now, im not no big radio by no means. Why ? Heck i dont know, I run a 8 element quad, 45 foot long, NOT the SE's quad, I have had PDL II's, Moonrakers, Stacked V quads, 4 element MAco, 5 element Maco, 6 Element Quad, a 10 Element quad, 2 stacked 5 element quads,and about 5 home made beams.
Joe Gunns are over rated by far. Maco's are too. What are they getting these figures from? 36 ft off the ground or, 136 ft? Your guess is as good as mine. Is it DBD or DBI gain? For all arguments a 4 element has about 10 DBD if optimized and tuned to the height of Atleast 36 ft. Well you can get a little more gain, but with gain, you loose the back. And with a better back you loose some gain. And all of this could be real impressive. LETS say you have a 4 element, 60ft, claiming about 14 DBD. Where is your gain going? Ok, maybe not out the back, mostly out the front im sure. BUT, beams produce different lobes out the front at different angles. So how much gain is to each lobe with respect to the other? Also some beams depending on how they are set up, produce a lobe out the top...
A audio gain? From an antenna? NOPE not going to happen sorry Jo Gunn... Radios produce the audio. But that being said, as you increase in decibels there are so many bells in a decibel which is the smalled amount a human ear can pick up, it does make sense to say, yes if it is 8 DB more then the 0 DB Dipole. Then as the DB's increase the SOUND of the persons audio on someones receiver will also.
What, a yagi or a quad...
well a yagi produces better Short DX because its main lobes are high. And maybe better all around for DX, A quad has a lower angle which makes it a little more Superior in long Dx and 150 miles down the RD.
I talked to John Deere tonight on the superbowl. He is running a 6 element i helped design. ITs not the best, but it is all around a good setup for his conditions and requirements. I was sending 8 S-units. He is over 120 miles away, Its not ground waving. Its anytime he is lookin my way and im lookin his. If your ever on 6, on the weekends, you will hear him advertise a century21 antenna once in a while.
Kruked Polititian also runs a 8 element i designed. It was more a less experimental, but there are pictures of it on my site. It works awful well also.
A maco out of the box will do you well. Good all around performance. But if you want it right, you have to get a hold of somebody, that can tune it to your channel, and the EXACT height from the ground.
Joe Gunns got a great gain.... But the back door is not.... With higher gain you lose the back door.
I am willing to help design a beam for anyone. But you have to follow the directions exactly. I have another beam, 7 element going up soon in Oklahoma. They are all yagi's. You have to make up your mind what is it you want. DX, local, or a broadbanded beam.
But my motto has always been, any beam is better then no beam.
Hope this will help somehow. PM me if you need anything else.
Thanks
Good read Century21 :wink:
highdrive
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by highdrive »

I know people that own maco 5 elements that will hang with or beat 8 element gunns. As for as quality....I own a maco v5/8 that outright talks and has conquered many wind storms without a problem...period!
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

Posted: July 15 2007 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know people that own maco 5 elements that will hang with or beat 8 element gunns. As for as quality....I own a maco v5/8 that outright talks and has conquered many wind storms without a problem...period!

Sounds to me that who ever took this test didn't know how to compare a beam ant,or the 8 element wasn't set up right.I have owned Maco beams Hygain beams and Jogunn beams,and some home made beams,hands down the Jogunn out performed the Maco and was a way better built ant.
HOUND DOG
Donor
Donor

Post by HOUND DOG »

BOOTYMONSTER wrote:what do you folks think of the wolf radio antennas ? their 4 element is $140 and their 5 element is $190 . they look pretty well made . but i haven't had a base in a long time and my antenna then was a penetrator 500 . ive been half way considering putting up a base . if i do im sure ill do an omni antenna first and maybe consider a beam later .

Is Wolf Radio still in business? I have tried emailing them several times about their 4 element beam but never heard back from them!
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

I just looked at these Wolf ant, that some of the people where talking about and they look just like a cheap made Maco!!! I don't know how they would perform,but from the looks of them i wouldn't waste my money on one of them to find out they are just cheap junk like the Maco beam.
HOUND DOG
Donor
Donor

Post by HOUND DOG »

Hey Popcorn, who in "your opinion" makes a good 4 element beam that isn't "junk"? I looked at the same pic's on wolf radio.com but honestly, I can't tell from those 4 pic's what the quality is.