4 element beam antenna's

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

Popcorn501 wrote:True the Jo Gunn figures maybe way off but the beat a Junk Maco beam any day! Better forward gain,better rejection and better built hands down!!(and yes they are way over priced)
Century 21 says "A maco out of the box will do you well. Good all around performance. But if you want it right, you have to get a hold of somebody, that can tune it to your channel, and the EXACT height from the ground.
Joe Gunns got a great gain.... But the back door is not.... With higher gain you lose the back door".

Since Maco is about (or has) closed its doors for good you may want to pass on one at this time. Even recent buyers have complained that the quality of the Maco's has dropped considerably. On the other hand Jo Gunn's are built like a brick *%#@house. It has better bandwidth due to the size of its elements. The back door isn't the greatest but it is noticeable.. The front door though is all you would want it to be. If you get Jo Gunns get them as high as possible cause they bleed for miles... lol

73's
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

Man look at them they are built just like a Maco with the cheap clamps that hold the element on to the boom mass!!!!They are junk just like the Maco(so cheaply built)
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

compared to the maco beams Jo Gunns are built like M1A1 Abrams and Maco's are like jeeps.

73's
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Post by dud muck »

Its a moot point anyways, maco is out of business. The owner is old and retiring.

I suppose the only useful comparison is between signal-engineering beems and jo-gunn.
Unlimited power permitted on CH1 to CH27 as per FCC CFR 47 part 18: 18.305(a) and 18.301
Century21

no comparison

Post by Century21 »

You cant compare beams that are completely different. Quads and yagi's are 2 different worlds. There is other beam manufactures out there, mosley, is sirio maco?, jo gunns, and probably others. What ever happened to makin your own beam... Its not hard.
BtyMONSTER

Post by BtyMONSTER »

PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Looking for a great antenna consider a Quad over yagi

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

http://www.signalengineering.com/
These have gotten some great reviews from those who have them. Dual polarity 4 element quad. They also have other directional antennas

Longer booms are higher gain but Cubical Quads are quieter have more gain and have smaller turning radius in diamond configuration

I just picked this up and it waits to be put in the air. yep a 4 element quad 24 years old

Mississippifrog

Post by Mississippifrog »

You'll love the 4 element quad. I know i love mine :D
Blackdammit

"Tower... Aussie Style"

Post by Blackdammit »

Trip Seven Downunder,

Time to put the shack under that monster!!!

blackdammit
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Re: 4 element beam antenna's

Post by smoke blower »

I have a set of Maco shootingstars and it doesn't have a very good backdoor at all and it is put together right. Is there anyway to to increase the backdoor rejection

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: 4 element beam antenna's

Post by jessejamesdallas »

smoke blower wrote: April 24th, 2017, 4:43 pm I have a set of Maco shootingstars and it doesn't have a very good backdoor at all and it is put together right. Is there anyway to to increase the backdoor rejection

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mine does...I can't hear anyone behind me...Now off to the sides I still get a fair signal, and can talk off the sides fairly well, but ain't nothing coming in from the back side...Up 50'
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.