How to choose base antenna?

A place to ask questions about base setups.

Moderator: JR Moderator

MightyMo
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 29 and 25
Name: Morgan

How to choose base antenna?

Post by MightyMo » Saturday, 07 October 2017, 12:57 PM

I'm in the market for a base antenna. When it comes to mobile antennas it seems that the 102" whip is the best an all others try to perform as good as that. What about base antennas? Is the 102 whip (with ground plane) still king?
I read online that some antennas that are good for DX (over 1500 miles) won't be as good for contacts less than that.
What are your recommendations? Where do I start?

Thanks

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: How to choose base antenna?

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 07 October 2017, 16:08 PM

It really all depends on what your looking for. I am happy with a 5/8th wave ground plane antenna. You can pick one up for around $150 and the ones built like a tank can soar to more then $500. A bean antenna can go the same way.
Since I don't have room for a beam I will just talk about a omni ground plane. The plane lowers the angle of radiation from the antenna, giving you a little more distance to the horizon, so the higher you put it the farther you will talk giving your surroundings. During skip conditions, it really doesn't matter in height of the antenna, I've talked all over using a dipole 8ft off the ground.
The last thing to look at is will it handle the wattage you plan to use, most antennas will handle a modest amount with out a problem, don't believe all those 2K claims, thinking of big watts then the more expensive antennas are what to look at.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

MightyMo
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 29 and 25
Name: Morgan

Post by MightyMo » Saturday, 07 October 2017, 23:54 PM

I think I'm going to be looking for a 5/8 omnidirectional antenna. I saw a recommendation for MFJ Hy-Gain SPT-500 on a random site I was looking at, but he didn't really say why he recommended it. I've also been looking at a couple antennas from Sirio. I was looking at the "Sirio 827 (26.4 - 28.4 Mhz) CB/10M 3000W Tunable Base Antenna". But the "Sirio 2016 (26.4 - 28.2 Mhz) Tunable Base Antenna" looks identical to me except there is a $2 price difference.
I've noticed some have 4 elements for the ground plane where other antennas have 6 or 8. Does the number of ground plane elements make a difference in antenna or signal quality?

MDYoungblood
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 08 October 2017, 9:22 AM

The HyGain is a good antenna, the long radials do make a difference. Not sure about the difference in the 2 Sirio antennas but I would look at the Sirio Vector 4000, more height and the same price as the HyGain. Look at DNJ's website for the best prices on the Sirio antennas and tell him your a member here.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld