New vehicle dilemma

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 1ADAM12
Radio: General Lee

New vehicle dilemma

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

I just got a new (to me) vehicle. 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I am going to put a mobile setup in this vehicle but I am currently having a rough time choosing my radio and antenna. I have always wanted to try a General Lee radio and a Sirio 5000 antenna. I really like my Galaxy 979 that is in my truck now, but would like a taste of flavor for the Jeep... Any thoughts welcome.
1-ADAM-12
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: New vehicle dilemma

Post by drdx »

Great radio vehicle. I ran a regular cherokee for years. I think there are pics of the install over in the what do you run in the mobile thread. Long story short, a puck right above the rear dome light works well, I mounted it on a swivel flat screen tv mount on the right of the console, and an amp deck goes well at the back bolted to the spare bracket with the amp remote located in the console.

Back to your question, the 979 is hard to beat for all business simplicity and a great meter. If you are just bored, the old 148 and 2510 are classics with great ears. The general lee was super popular for members here years ago. I haven't owned one myself and lean toward regular cb these days, but I do have a magnum s3 that I like. I don't know how clean it's signal is, but the receive is great and the knob feel and layout are both really good.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

IF your wanting to spice it up, those new cobra 29 LX's are super sweet, not that its much different than your galaxy, but they are sure cool looking. Leave it stock. Take the xtra money and put it towards a 1 driving 2, a puck or wilson 5000 mag and you got one mean mobile! Like DRDX says, those Cherokees are a sweet radio platform. Lots of groundplane to work with which usually equates to a great antenna match if you do your part.
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If you like SSB than the General Lee or the 29's are not.
I have plans for my 03 Cherokee if I ever get it back from the daughter, (using it for school), radio on the center of the dash in the indent, puck on the roof, and an open coil antenna, not sure which one yet but a short shaft. The radio will be most likely a 2950DX or a Stryker 955.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 1ADAM12
Radio: General Lee

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Thanks for the input gentlemen. If this were a perfect world I would install about 6 radios with 6 antennas on the vehicle....because there is something I really like about each setup you guys mentioned. I will give it some more thought and force myself to make a decision.
1-ADAM-12
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Are you going to hard mount or mag mount the antenna? If a mag mount, go with the sirio pl145 mag mount and sirio performer 5000 antenna. Radio, the Stryker 955, president Lincoln 2 ver. 3 type, the optima mk3, or the rci2950dx. If you plan on hard mounting the antenna a predator 10k with a 12" or 17" shaft. And for the mount a good Breedlove puck mount. Had an older jeep Cherokee 89, it's was, used an old single coil mm at the rear about 8-10" from the back of the roof. Center of roof. Used a 10" X 10" backing plate made of 1/2" abs plastic type board. It tuned very well this way and worked very well. It was a bit directional being the antenna wasn't mounted dead center, but that is where it tuned best. This was over 10yrs ago. With an mfj if memory serves me correctly it tuned at 27.205, r=50, x=0, vswr, 1.1:1. And it was about the same on the end of 1 and 40. Good platform for a setup. Like said they provide good ground plane and will rock with the right setup. If you plan on using SSB, get a good amp that is at least b bias. There are maybe a couple guys that do real AB bias, but it costs. Anyway just some suggestions. Have fun choosing!!
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The general lee has only AM and FM. The general lee isn't a bad radio. A cobra 29 with a variable, a 1x4, a puck mount and any decent antenna will be hard to beat.. The DRDX jeep was a strong setup so you won't go wrong taking his advice.

A 1x2 has its place but unless you want something to run on the edge of destruction a straight 2 pill is a better choice. I just bought a new set of pills for my 1x2...it lived a hard life. As powerful as a General Lee is I would put a 4 pill behind it. You're a more limited to amp choices with big radios unless you turn them way down.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Sirio would look great on that jeep! Hey I was in your zip code not long ago and called out just by chance you might be on the air but no luck. May be back before too long.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee