Poll: best hard mount off-road antenna

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.

What's the best hard mount off-road capable antenna

Poll ended at February 27th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Firestik II
20%
Firestik Firefly
10%
Wilson Flex
No votes
Everhardt Super Tiger
10%
Everhardt Super Flex
10%
Other
50%

Total votes: 10

DaFuzz
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Firestik II 5'
Radio: Uniden 880

Poll: best hard mount off-road antenna

Post by DaFuzz »

If you vote for other please leave a comment
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Poll: best hard mount off-road antenna

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello DaFuzz,
Welcome to the forum. I think that the 102" whip works great for off-road, it is the toughest of any antennas out there.

Being a new member, could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Pitbull 1
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Uniden,Cobra....

Post by Pitbull 1 »

I would have to agree with MDyoungblood on the 102" whip, I'm running one on the base and one on the truck. But the one on the truck is mounted on a spring to help with tie off and tree encounters.

-- Saturday, 14 February 2015, 19:30 PM --

Just check out the jeep forums or any offroad forum. They already tried and tested and spent the money good or bad they will tell all.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A 102 whip or something super short that's mounted low. People I wheel with even run antennas with the stinger missing. Yeah the swr is sky high but the radios we use are cheap and we're only talking very short distance.
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 1ADAM12
Radio: General Lee

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

I voted the Firestik Firefly out of the antennas listed simply because it is more flexible than the regular Firestik FSII. The FSII is not very flexible. And several people claim that the Everhardt cb antennas are much better than the Firestik. I did a video comparison using both antennas with all other variables the exact same...and got the exact same results. So I use the FSII because I like the brass tunable tip better than Everhardt's tip. Like mentioned above, most off road CB setups will not need to transmit very far.
1-ADAM-12
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I sometimes run a 102 whip behind the cab of an 85 Toyota. I have saw it lay over in front if the windshield when backing out of a tight spot. I've been using some cheapo fiberglass antenna (don't really know where it came from) since it's shorter. I'd like to find an even shorter one that doesn't stick up over the cab at all. I do use ferrite chokes at the feed point to reduce cmc...don't want the cb interfering with my tunes. :lol:
cjb321
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: Cobra 29 wx nw bt

Post by cjb321 »

i've used the wislon flex on my jeep and it worked well offroad with trees and what not but when i tried to tune it for better swr for highway use the rubber cap ripped the shielding off and pulled the windings out. i replaced it with a firstick II mounted on the bumper which worked well but not for highway because it sat lower than the top of the jeep. 102 whip IS prolly the strongest but it can be dangerous to the people spotting you when rock crawling as it has a tendancy to "whip" around.
on my pickup i use a roof mounted wilson 1000 and have bent it over where the tip is almost touching the windshield and it still works fine, it also get rung on low trees all the time and is still straight.
SamB
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Gear Jammer
Antenna: Sirio
Radio: President Andy

Post by SamB »

You've probably already chosen an antenna, but I thought I'd add my experience anyway. On my jeep's I've ran, and broke, multiple different fiberglass antenna's, mounted both on the front bumper, and on the side of the tub. I even ran a thin fiberglass antenna that was supposed to be unbreakable with a lifetime warranty, after getting it replaced a couple times I gave up on fiberglass whips for my jeep's. I ran a 102" SS whip on my jeep after that and it worked great, and never broke. My current jeep has a firestick, because thats what came with it, but I will be getting a SS whip for it soon.
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

I see this is an older post but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyhow. 102" whip. Virtually bulletproof. For off roading if you want you can even tie them down some with something non-conductive and still use your radio. I had an International Scout some years ago with a rag top and used to go off-roading a lot and when we did I used a shorter rubber tie down strap with the s-rings removed and ran a small carriage bolt through one end wrapped around the roll bar with a washer and acorn nut and simply slid the antenna threw the other end. This kept it about 8-10" above the roll bar and the swr was still below 2.0. Every once in awhile it might tap the passenger in the head if you hit a big bump and occasionally a low branch might shove it out of the strap but otherwise no other issues. Unless I was driving a good distance anytime the top was off I kept it that way. Made for going to the drive thru easier to get beer.....lol.
WK2
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" Whip
Radio: Galaxy DX99V

Post by WK2 »

102" whip is the best but there are a lot Off Road Parks out there now that frown heavily on 102's ( either stainless or fiberglass 102's ). There are also Off Road Clubs that restrict them as well. I run a 4' K40 super flex for when I am around those places or clubs as to not make anybody mad and not have them invite me back. Make sure before you go wheelin' to ask around about any antenna restrictions. Have Fun and Tread Lightly
Radio : Galaxy DX99V / Mic : Converted Military M-80C/U / Ext Speaker : Converted Military LS-454/U / Off Road Antenna : K40 4' Super Flex / On Road Antenna : 102" Whip w/G.P. 6" Riser

Dave -> WK2 -> WickedKlown2-> CBRT # 26657