Image

President Lincoln 2

Need some help or advice on how to set up a mobile. This is the place to ask.

Moderator: JR Moderator

User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 4:51 AM

I was thinking about getting a president Lincoln 2 but before I make the purchase I'd like to get some of your educated opinions on if it will work with my setup or not. First, it would be used with my kl-503 amp so please don't just jump in here and say rm amps are junk. That's not the issue in this post. I know a few that would take this opportunity to trash the rm amps simply because they don't like them and that's not the question I'm asking. I'm looking for honest opinions from some of the veterens of this hobby. Greg, 543 fortworth, JJD, etc... Those that know from years of experience.

If I purchase the Lincoln 2 can I pair it with my kl-503 as long as I key it low or is it too much radio for that amp? I'd really appreciate your input. I've been e-mailing the store I usually buy things from and asked that question but they won't return my e-mails. If they would answer me I would make a purchase in case they read this post. I want this radio but if it's not a good marriage with the kl-503 then I'm not getting it.

Thanks guys.


Image

Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee




User avatar
-357Mag
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 72
Joined: Saturday, 30 August 2014, 12:32 PM
Name: craig

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by -357Mag » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 7:24 AM

I don't see a problem running a Box on this rig as it has Variable Power. IIRC I read some where that the bottom is a 2 Watts carrier on AM/FM. Since Side Band is "Carrier Modulation" I'd drive it hard at full power. I have a case of the I wants for this rig too.

User avatar
543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sunday, 18 July 2010, 17:54 PM
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by 543FtWorth » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 10:09 AM

The spec sheet you posted is blurry on my phone. If the rig has a variable and you can get the deadkey and swing down low enough it will be fine.

User avatar
MDYoungblood
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7321
Joined: Saturday, 12 June 2010, 19:05 PM
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 10:34 AM

Well Mark, it looks like you caught the CB (continuously buying) fever. Yes it has variable power, knob is center of the radio under the display. 12w AM/FM would hit the amp a little hard if you forget to turn it down and the SSB doesn't adjust with the power knob but can be turned down with the mic gain. I would put a little sign over the amp's on switch saying "turn down radio before use".

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage


"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment


Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 15:01 PM

Thanks guys for the info... Got some extra money coming in November and plan on getting it from GI joes.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee




User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Thursday, 18 September 2014, 15:26 PM

Nice radio. I wanted one too and got real close. I ended up getting the 955. Looks like a great radio. I hope you end up buying one. Good luck! Ringo.
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
108dt206
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Posts: 377
Joined: Thursday, 17 March 2011, 11:42 AM
Name: barry
Location: scotland
Contact:

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by 108dt206 » Friday, 19 September 2014, 11:34 AM

I'd think twice about the lincon 2.. President grant getting better write ups this side of the pond..
27.555 usb...the best place to talk to the world..



User avatar
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Posts: 2811
Joined: Friday, 13 March 2009, 13:54 PM
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4
Contact:

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by TheCBDoctor » Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 10:04 AM

Good afternoon silvereagle1

I would be careful of the Lincoln 2. It hasn't been out long enough to know if it has any design flaws. It may have the same name as the original Lincoln, which is a clone of the HR-2510, but the radio uses surface mount components and has very little in common with the original design.

I haven't opened one up yet, but I would guess that it uses MOSFETs for a Final. The original HR-2510 and the Lincoln used the MRF-477, which was discontinued in the late 1990's. The last version of the Lincoln used a Bi-polar transistor found in amplifiers. I believe it was the 455.

When the HR-2510 was discontinued a company made the Emperor, which looked very much like the HR-2510, but was a complete disaster. I would wait on the Lincoln 2 until it has proven itself to stand up and not fail within a year.

I used to collect HR-2510's and the original Lincoln. I am very familiar with the original radio. The HR-2510 was true 10 meter radio, which was easily converted to cover 26.000 MHz to 29.6999 MHz. The first generation HR-2510 and the Lincoln went up to 29.9999 MHz. The FCC put an end to the HR-2510 in 1992 by forcing Uniden to use a microprocessor that could not be expanded. Many distributors still sold the HR-2510 and included the 64 pin microprocessor to replace the one imposed by the FCC. The last Uniden to be made was April of 1994. The Lincoln continued on for a few more years using a substitute Final, but was never type-accepted for sale in the USA. The original chassis was made in the Philippines. Everything today is made in China or Malaysia.

I have a feeling that the Lincoln 2 will suffer the same fate as the Emperor.

Here's a link to some photos of what the HR-2510 and Lincoln looked like inside. I guarantee the Lincoln 2 does not look anything like its namesake.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10823.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Respectfully always,
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor


OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info Rick. I always enjoy reading your stuff. I do know there has been 3 versions of the Lincoln 2 because of a few bugs. Maybe that's a bad sign and then again maybe it's a good sign they have them all worked out. But Like you pointed out time is the best way to get a real judgement. I wanted a Stryker 955 a while ago then I started seeing people selling those because of issues. I do like the Lincoln though... Thanks everyone for all your input.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 12:41 PM

Maybe people are having issues with the Lincoln II, I dont know, but I still want one. I like the looks, features and the fact that it uses a smaller chassis. Those work well when running multiple radios in the mobile. If I wasnt so happy with my Magnum 257hp then I would try one. I went out on a limb and got the Stryker and its been just perfect! Im using it the shack just because its the large chassis. I still cant believe the audio reports people give on the Stryker.

Who knows, the new Lincoln might just find its way into my truck after all. This site is not good for my finances :biggrin:
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
795
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Posts: 104
Joined: Saturday, 05 July 2014, 8:30 AM
Radio: ALINCO/GALAXY
Antenna: firestick dipole
Location: INDIANA

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by 795 » Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 16:04 PM

I just read a review of the radio, if you want to read it look up cbradiomagazine, it looked like a good radio, but read the review.
DOCTOR/795 :icon_e_geek:
73
795/doctor/ chnl / 36//USB/AM
HAMSPHERE<NO LICENSE REQUIRED>
VOICE OF THE CORNFIELDS
SGT VIETNAM 1967-68/14th ICC
US COAST GUARD 1971-1980
AIR NATL GUARD 123RD COMM 1981-1991/RETIRED



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 3:25 AM

Good review 795
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Wednesday, 24 September 2014, 10:40 AM

Wow, thanks for the heads-up on the review! Looks like a winner!! Now if I just had another vehicle that needed a radio :biggrin:
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 25 September 2014, 12:03 PM

well version 3 is obviousally the one to get judging from the reviews. hopefully the bugs are worked out now. I talked to Ron at GI joes and he says he can set the variable power not to exceed 5 watts carrier if that's what I choose on AM and FM. that's how Wes set my galaxy 99v2 up. I'm glad he did because I accidentally forgot to turn it down a time or two when it was new to me. what about CW how does that work. before anyone says you're not a ham stay off bla bla bla I just want to make sure all the features are set low so I won't accidentally blow my amp. don't intend on using CW until I get a ham ticket but I want it set low if it has a carrier. if CW is a feature on the radio then I need to educate myself on the feature just for understanding it's usage for protection purposes if nothing else. does CW work by carrier or is it more in theory of sideband? even if it's sideband would the factory settings be too much?
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
-357Mag
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Posts: 72
Joined: Saturday, 30 August 2014, 12:32 PM
Name: craig

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by -357Mag » Thursday, 25 September 2014, 19:34 PM

CW:> Continuous Wave the carrier is interrupted to form characters di dah di di dah luckily the radio has a Keyer that has to be plugged in to transmit a signal, I know on the original Lincoln if the CW circuit was disconnected on the board SSB power was increased. If your going castrate the Lincoln II to run an amp save some money and get the Grant

User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 26 September 2014, 3:52 AM

I've already got the grant 2. I just like the looks and features of the Lincoln 2 and it can always be turned back up later so not really a castration since the procedure can be reversed with just a little pot turning. I've found several videos on the Lincoln 2 and the more I watch the more I like it. i'd be satisfied with the lincoln2 turned down to use with my amp and the threshold set not to exceed a 5 watt carrier for protection in case of "forgetting" to turn the knob down. I don't see that as castrating the radio.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Friday, 26 September 2014, 4:54 AM

Hey Mark, I have had good luck in the mobile with my Magnum 257hp by keeping the variable power turned all the way down. Thats the way I run it all the time. We are at such a disadvantage in our mobiles (compared to our base stations) that having all the power I can is the only way to communicate with my buddies in other mobiles especially when we venture into the city. When we are out in the county, which is where we all live, its not so bad.

So, its just my opinion, but I would leave the power pot adjustments alone (assuming you can get a low enough dead key) and run it that way. That is just my opinion only.

When on the base, I dont run any additional power for fear of interference. I dont really see the need as my antenna is at a decent height. But in the mobile, I always run a little power. This is just my uneducated opinion. Kevin.
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 26 September 2014, 5:16 AM

the reason I want the threshold set at five watts is because I may forget and accidentally key up when the radio's RF power knob is all the way up. a brief burst of 5 watts won't damage the amp but a brief burst of 10 plus might not be so lucky. I'm just thinking of protection more than anything else. if my radio is on my amp is on so I really don't need the extra wattage coming from the radio. Thats my only logic behind the 5 watt max DK
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Friday, 26 September 2014, 5:57 AM

That is true. The only argument for having the extra power is if something happened to the amp you would still have the 50 or so watts. Im just playing devils advocate here, thats all. Turning it down is definitely safer! Kevin.
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 26 September 2014, 6:13 AM

Kevin, let's say I buy the Lincoln 2 and use it straight out of the box,
as long as I key it low, is it ready to safetly use with the amp? what I'm asking is if I turn the rf power all the way down let's say to two watts. what does the two watts swing to from the factory? that's another thing I'm worried about. if it only swings 10-15 then that's fine I think.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Friday, 26 September 2014, 8:02 AM

Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 26 September 2014, 11:26 AM

Ringo Unit wrote:Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
I notice on sideband the Lincoln specs at 31 watts pep out of the box. that's a little high as far as my 503 specs. when turning the rf power all the way down on the Lincoln will it also decrease the SSB pep? it does on my 99v2. if I read greg's post correctly the rf power knob on the Lincoln does not effect the SSB pep like it does on my 99v2.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Posts: 83
Joined: Saturday, 19 October 2013, 9:19 AM
Radio: Stryker 955HP
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Name: Kevin

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Ringo Unit » Friday, 26 September 2014, 12:37 PM

I am no expert and can tell you about the Magnum and Stryker only. On SSB, the variable power must remain wide open, and my swing is determined only by the mic gain adjustment. The magnum, with the power all the way up and mic gain all the way up, will swing 65 on SSB. Using the mic gain only, I can reduce the swing all the way down to 5 watts. The same holds true for the Stryker.



I hope this helps. Kevin
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC


242 Central Florida



User avatar
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Posts: 2811
Joined: Friday, 13 March 2009, 13:54 PM
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4
Contact:

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 27 September 2014, 8:24 AM

silvereagle1 wrote:
Ringo Unit wrote:Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
I notice on sideband the Lincoln specs at 31 watts pep out of the box. that's a little high as far as my 503 specs. when turning the rf power all the way down on the Lincoln will it also decrease the SSB pep? it does on my 99v2. if I read greg's post correctly the rf power knob on the Lincoln does not effect the SSB pep like it does on my 99v2.
Good morning silvereagle1

As long as the audio limiter is not cut out or modified, then the peak power will be reduced when the RF gain is reduced. If the audio limiter is disabled then only the carrier is reduced. To reduce the peak power you will need to turn down your Mic gain. On the original HR-2510 and Lincoln the Mic gain control was a simple push button that cut your audio gain in half, unlike most radios that use a rotary control.

This is the case with almost every CB radio out there. If the audio limiter is disabled then the RF gain control only reduces the carrier (Dead-Key). I recommend leaving the audio limiter alone in any radio. If one wishes to sound louder then use a power Mic.

Respectfully as always
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor


OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 27 September 2014, 9:17 AM

TheCBDoctor wrote:
silvereagle1 wrote:
Ringo Unit wrote:Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
I notice on sideband the Lincoln specs at 31 watts pep out of the box. that's a little high as far as my 503 specs. when turning the rf power all the way down on the Lincoln will it also decrease the SSB pep? it does on my 99v2. if I read greg's post correctly the rf power knob on the Lincoln does not effect the SSB pep like it does on my 99v2.
Good morning silvereagle1

As long as the audio limiter is not cut out or modified, then the peak power will be reduced when the RF gain is reduced. If the audio limiter is disabled then only the carrier is reduced. To reduce the peak power you will need to turn down your Mic gain. On the original HR-2510 and Lincoln the Mic gain control was a simple push button that cut your audio gain in half, unlike most radios that use a rotary control.

This is the case with almost every CB radio out there. If the audio limiter is disabled then the RF gain control only reduces the carrier (Dead-Key). I recommend leaving the audio limiter alone in any radio. If one wishes to sound louder then use a power Mic.

Respectfully as always
Rick, in your opinion
can I use it out of the box as long as I key it low with the 503 and still have good sound quality?
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
MDYoungblood
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7321
Joined: Saturday, 12 June 2010, 19:05 PM
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 27 September 2014, 11:14 AM

I think version 3 has all the bugs out of it so I have been told. To get the story straight first there was no such thing as version 1, nothing on the boxes said that, they were plagued with a bunch of bad resistors and transistors, the manufacturer was hoping that more of them would have made it to the states then did so they got there old stock back, made the repairs hoping again the version 2, (they pasted decals on the boxes stating that), would get to the states. Version 3, (more decals) is the new and improved model, the quality control is better at checking the PCB's, transistors, and resistors, (the SMT robots are designed to do a better check before installing them on the board).
The radios aren't much on AM, great on FM and SSB, don't expect much more in the power range, the radios are set almost wide open and like I said before the SSB is not controlled by the RF power knob (works for AM/FM only, don't know why it does for FM), will have to turn down the Mic gain.
It's size has benefits, it will fit in the dash using a blank din mount, I have a Nissan Altima with a pocket under the radio/temp controls and it would fit perfectly in there. I've been thinking of getting one but other equipment has taken priority now, working on getting my HF radio/antenna in/on my Dodge Ram.
Now a word to the wise, if you have noticed there is a shortage of curtain more popular radios, the word is the manufacturer is moving, wrong, this is a marketing strategy, it is because this radio (and the Grant II) are overstocked and with all the bad reviews they can't get these radios sold. They know we won't wait for the others to start back up so we buy the next best (not really) thing, it's the "American Way". You will see in the coming months a bunch of "new and improved" radios flood the market.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage


"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment


Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 16 October 2014, 20:07 PM

received the Lincoln 2 today and as always fast shipping from GI joes and it is the V3 model they carry. has the v3 sticker right on the box. box was in excellent condition no scratches on the radio nor finger prints for that matter either. haven't used it yet other than put it in the car and play around a few minutes. it's built better than the grant 2. the screen is a harder shell plastic so it should be more scratch resistant. love the features of this radio. I have my concerns though not from a radio standpoint but from human error standpoint. I had Ron to set the AM and FM power to 2 watts on the low end and 5 watts on the high end so I would not accidently hit the amp with too much wattage and blow the transistors. I'm guessing he can't turn down the FM because checking it with the radio shack meter I'm getting the 2 watt DK on low end AM and 5 watts on High end AM but on FM its 5 watts low end and around 28-30 on the high end of the dial. so I've got to stay away from fm all together when using amp which brings to the question. I've already accidently hit the amp with a 15 watt DK and a quick whistle thinking I was in AM mode! hope the brief burst of 15 watts didn't hurt anything. wish he could have/would have turned the fm down to a safer level for these kinds of mishaps. anyone know what the reason would be that the fm wasn't turned down? must be a reason I would assume or he would have done it I would think. it'll take a few days to a week to get used to a all the features but I'll report back on the performance when I get a few contacts. hopefully the quick hit on the amp didn't hurt anything.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
Big blue
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Posts: 402
Joined: Thursday, 01 November 2012, 6:03 AM
Radio: RHF618; 500Z Amp.
Antenna: Maco M103C
Name: AZ 590
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by Big blue » Friday, 17 October 2014, 7:27 AM

Mark: Really don't think you messed up your amp on a quick key-up/whistle like that. Try the amp on am or ssb just to see if it functions correctly. If it works correctly then you know it's fine! :basketball:
Last edited by Big blue on Friday, 17 October 2014, 7:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 17 October 2014, 7:45 AM

on the way to taking my daughter to school this morning I talked to several stations on AM and they all said AM was crisp and clear. radio was at 2 watts and Amp was running on setting 5. So good news on AM side of things. I just have to remember not to accidently put it in FM mode when switching from SSB to AM. so far so good though. out of all my radios it has the best receiver on SSB. 9 out of ten stations I heard this morning I tuned in at the 12 o clock position. early reports says it's the best radio I've had yet but like I said I've not talked SSB yet I've only listened to DX. I gave the 99v2 to my father last weekend.
Image

Image

Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
MDYoungblood
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7321
Joined: Saturday, 12 June 2010, 19:05 PM
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 17 October 2014, 8:36 AM

I said the same thing in your PM, the FM mode is not like AM, there is no swing wattage so 15w is just that and the 503 is a little more robust than the 203.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage


"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment


Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department



User avatar
simon007
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Posts: 37
Joined: Sunday, 29 July 2007, 6:15 AM
Name: Simon P
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by simon007 » Monday, 25 May 2015, 8:50 AM

MDYoungblood wrote:I think version 3 has all the bugs out of it so I have been told. To get the story straight first there was no such thing as version 1, nothing on the boxes said that, they were plagued with a bunch of bad resistors and transistors, the manufacturer was hoping that more of them would have made it to the states then did so they got there old stock back, made the repairs hoping again the version 2, (they pasted decals on the boxes stating that), would get to the states. Version 3, (more decals) is the new and improved model, the quality control is better at checking the PCB's, transistors, and resistors, (the SMT robots are designed to do a better check before installing them on the board).
The radios aren't much on AM, great on FM and SSB, don't expect much more in the power range, the radios are set almost wide open and like I said before the SSB is not controlled by the RF power knob (works for AM/FM only, don't know why it does for FM), will have to turn down the Mic gain.
It's size has benefits, it will fit in the dash using a blank din mount, I have a Nissan Altima with a pocket under the radio/temp controls and it would fit perfectly in there. I've been thinking of getting one but other equipment has taken priority now, working on getting my HF radio/antenna in/on my Dodge Ram.
Now a word to the wise, if you have noticed there is a shortage of curtain more popular radios, the word is the manufacturer is moving, wrong, this is a marketing strategy, it is because this radio (and the Grant II) are overstocked and with all the bad reviews they can't get these radios sold. They know we won't wait for the others to start back up so we buy the next best (not really) thing, it's the "American Way". You will see in the coming months a bunch of "new and improved" radios flood the market.

3's

Greg
Greg is completely correct.

The initial release was the v1 and was 1000 pieces at the maximum. It had nothing on the box and was the radio straight from the factory

V2 was a repaired version of the initial released radios. Modification sheet is on my blog.

V3 is the version that has the work carried out which made v2, meaning most were from Balaruc modified and some others via Stabo and other President group companies.

That is where it stopped, there is no version 4. As I understood from someone who told me there will be no version 4 and the only change that was made recently was different paint on the covers and that's it.

No different firmware, nothing else planned to change. And 2016 President is back in the USA in Naples Florida so expect to see some stuff coming sure and fast I guess

73 Simon
CB since 1978
Blog:www.simonthewizard.com
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/simonthewizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Technical / Radio Design

Mostly On A Uniden Or Qixiang



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Monday, 25 May 2015, 9:42 AM

President will still be in France to correct? Are they just building a USA facility? What will the effect be on buying the "non fcc approved" radios when President comes to Florida? Will that change the way we purchase let's say Lincoln II radio's or Grant II radios. I guess the question that I'm asking is will we still be able to get those types of radios from president in the future?
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee



User avatar
simon007
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Posts: 37
Joined: Sunday, 29 July 2007, 6:15 AM
Name: Simon P
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by simon007 » Monday, 25 May 2015, 10:31 AM

silvereagle1 wrote:President will still be in France to correct? Are they just building a USA facility? What will the effect be on buying the "non fcc approved" radios when President comes to Florida? Will that change the way we purchase let's say Lincoln II radio's or Grant II radios. I guess the question that I'm asking is will we still be able to get those types of radios from president in the future?
I guess that President will bring new FCC certified radios to the USA. Yes they will still be based in Balaruc France and all there other countries and territories but being in the USA will make it better to get radios for people in the USA. Guess they ditch FM as not used in USA and will concentrate on bringing approved radios to the market. But will Uniden still sell and President too? I've absolutely no ideas at all but am interested to see what comes FCC approved but still long wait till 2016 :biggrin:
CB since 1978
Blog:www.simonthewizard.com
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/simonthewizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Technical / Radio Design

Mostly On A Uniden Or Qixiang



User avatar
silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sunday, 23 June 2013, 15:55 PM
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------
Location: Knoxville

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 » Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 19:58 PM

The first President radio I ever saw was in the movie Smokey and the Bandit 2.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee




Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests