Best radio for Sensitivity & recieve

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
nj diesel
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Best radio for Sensitivity & recieve

Post by nj diesel »

Which of the following radios do you think has the best receive?
I'm looking at a Uniden 980 SSB, a President Lincoln II, or I have an option to buy a used Galaxy DX 95 T2 from a co-worker. I'm not chasing big watts, I'm more into having a good receiving radio. I borrowed a Uniden 880 from a another co-worker and loved everything about it but it went deaf for anyone out past 3/4 of a mile. My old Uniden PC78LTW is far more sensitive.
Lastly, my co-worker is asking $250.00 for the Galaxy (stock, no issues, he's retiring shortly) what do you think of this price?
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Best radio for Sensitivity & recieve

Post by silvereagle1 »

Not a bad price on the galaxy if its in near mint condition. A new one is around 430.00 I think. Ask your co worker if it has any issues in the winter time. Also if possible listen to him talk on his galaxy from another radio. Listen to it yourself. I'm curious what part if the country you're in. Is it cold in the winter? That's when galaxy's tell on themselves if they are going to have issues. Bad for drifting too. the 980 doesnt have the cold weather problems at all but lacks the features that galaxy has. The galaxy is probably a loud radio where the 980 tends to be a little soft. I love the 980 myself even though it lacks the features that my galaxy has.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
ltdoc
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by ltdoc »

What are the chances of you trying those radios before buying? I think that's a fairly good thing to do, at least it'd give you an idea of what you'd be getting.
It isn't -just- the radio, a lot of it's in the antenna system. Nothing wrong with using their antenna if it's at least comparable to yours. If theirs is 'better' than yours then don't expect the same results, you know?
Good luck.
- 'Doc
nj diesel
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by nj diesel »

I'm going to try out the Galaxy, but the 880 I borrowed is the closest I'll get to the 980 without purchasing one.I'm hoping the the deaf 880 was just "one of the off ones". The Lincoln is the same situation. I like the idea of trying these out in my truck with my antenna cause this way I know for sure.
ShooterK2
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by ShooterK2 »

I've got the Uniden 980 and it has excellent ears. Use a good external speaker (the Uniden Bearcat and the Cobra High Gear are my favorites) and you should be well pleased with the sound of the receive as well. I have several radios (Connex 3300, Magnum S-45, and several Cobras), and the 980 is my favorite as far as receive. I do wish it was a little louder on AM, but it still gets out fine.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

The Galaxy DX 95 T2 has fine ears a fine chassis!! Have you tried out FM with your buddies (locally)......cool!!

Still, you can't knock the 980 SSB for being able to hear too.... with no FM. Just only 12W Peak voice (stock).

I'd personally spend more of my money for the Galaxy DX95T2 (that has it all). Very nice squelch, channel rejection, and big ears!! (If running right). It'll give you up to 150W voice peak. :shock: :shock: I heard one, and very nice sounding to boot!!

Save up your money, trade...... or if you have the money :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: buy the Galaxy DX95T2!!

You heard it over a cup of my morning coffee,
Rabbit Ears

-- Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:57 am --

$250.00 is a fine price. Ask if he would go for $200.00, and be willing to pay $225.00. :icon_e_wink:
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
StrykerLiker
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K 17
Radio: Stryker 655/490

Post by StrykerLiker »

Not on the list, but Stryker 655 has had the best receive I have experienced.

It does come with a trade off of poor adjecent channel noise rejection ( or whatever it's called :P) , and picking up noise off HID headlights and etc... it hears everything.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

The 980 is a good little radio and like said it doesn't suffer from the dreaded drift issues that the Galaxy radios are known for when it's cold out. Even warm some drift. The 980 is rock solid on SSB, but like mentioned is no powerhouse at 10-12 watts pep stock. Now, having said all this, spend your money on the best antenna system you can before you buy another radio. And I don't mean just antenna. Coax, connectors, mount, and antenna all should be the best they can be. This will ensure all or most of your signal is being transmitted and receiving as well. The 980 has great ears and is a great little radio for the money. I like Galaxy radios too, have one and have had many, but I live in FL and it even here when I first turn on my galaxy 55, it is off freq a bit until it warms up to operating temp. Now this is at 75-80 degrees mind you. The 95T is a nice radio and as long as it hasn't been hacked up inside its worth $200 or so. If you can find a 980 on sale at on of the big truck stops grab it. They are going for $107 on internet. That is a good price for that radio. They are on freq out of the box and with the addition of a power mic like the 2018 extreme, sound very good on both am and SSB. Add a small amp like the rm Italy kl203p for 60 or 70 bucks and you have a good little dxing setup. Again having said all this, any radio with a crappy antenna is not going to be worth a dang. With what you stated about losing receive at 3/4 of a mile makes me think you either have antenna system issues or the RF gain or squelch were turned up. IMHO, I would look your antenna system over really good before you buy anything. Would hate to see you spend 200 for the 95T and blow it up or something due to something wrong with your antenna system. Again. JMHO.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

I second the bearcat 980. It's got a great receiver. Sounds good on SSB. I had a brand new 99v2 and I was never happy with it even though it had more features than the 980 the 980 just had the better quality. I still use mine from time to time. At 107.00 it's a steal.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Funny, 15 months and he never got back to say which one he bought. I would vote for the Galaxy 95T2. The thing is the more sensitive the receiver the more it loses adjacent channel rejection. If you want to help the receive get a better (longer) antenna.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department