Grant 2 Review

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Grant 2 Review

Post by silvereagle1 »

I've had my Grant 2 for about a month now so I'll do a quick review. I like the radio in every aspect except for one. The receive on sideband. The sideband receive sounds more like electrical pops than white noise and it drives me nuts. When dx is heavy it's not that noticeable but when it's quiet or no dx there is really no white noise like on all my other radios. It's more like electrical pops and spikes. Even with the car not running. Only does this on sideband. It's done it since day one. I thought at first that conditions was causing the noise but its consistent every day. like the radio is parked under a giant transformer all the time. other than that everything else is great with this radio. I don't know if all the grant 2's are this way or I'm just the unlucky one. anyone who has one please jump in. as far as transmitting everyone says it sounds great even with the amp on. Both on AM and SSB. It's just sideband receive that sounds bad. It doesn't affect receiving other stations they all come in just like they should. just the awful popping cracking white noise. maybe these radios just sound that way I don't know. One note.. I doulble checked all my wiring and it is very well grounded. Even added a ground wire from the radio chassis to the a bolt under the seat. So grounding should not be the problem.

[edited by 231 / added video per member request]

[youtube2][/youtube2]
Last edited by silvereagle1 on May 13th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

Re: Grant 2 Review

Post by 231 »

Interesting. I have no real solutions other than talking to the factory (or qualified tech) who knows the NB circuits in that radio. I know on my old export radio (which I loved!) I had the receive adjusted some (professionally) and it was super sensitive. I loved it that way but it did pick up more noise. But that was the trade off I guess. I could hear weak signals with it that my Philly made Cobra 148 just couldn't get. In fact, it was right up there with my Icom radios. The down fall like I mentioned was it did get a tad more noise and super strong signals would be garbled if I didn't turn the RF gain down. But on SSB it would shine on receiving weak signals.

I would be interested in hearing your results with an A/B comparison on receive if you ever have a mind to. See if you can get a weak contact to help you and see if the Grant hears them better. Forget about the noise for now. If my theory is right, it's probably a more sensitive receiver with not enough noise blanker.

Just a thought anyway. I'm really encouraged to hear your other results though. I have an old Philly made Grant from the late 80's I really like too. This new one sounds even better.

Thanks for the review.

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

I think you're right. I believe it's a sensitive receiver. Wonder if the SMT board plays a role? But then again my 980 is SMT as well and It doesn't have the popping and cracking type white noise. The white noise is almost non existant on the grant its all electrical type spikes. In other words it can be very quiet then the signal will jump from 1 to 9 with a sudden spike. Sounds like some type of static discharge. Or electrical storm would be a good way of putting it. It's hard to put it on scan because of the spikes. A sudden spike in noise and it breaks the squelch. Just about have to turn squelch wide open to stop it. Something just doesn't seem right on sideband receive. I don't want to discourage anyone from getting one because its a very good radio. hope to hear from some of you all on comments and thanks 231 for your input.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The only way you are going to find out if it is the radio's receive is to unhook the antenna and hook up a dummy load. If you still get the crashes/spikes then it is the radio. I would suggest that you reverse the mounting of the amp and radio, all the heat from the sinks are being absorbed in the radio's component side and the new SMT boards don't like heat. The amp could use the open air flow also. I haven't ran across a Grant II or Lincoln II so I really would be guessing at what the problem might be but being new on the market there is probably a cold solder joint or a bad component (spec wise) on the board.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Skip was booming today so I didn't have the receive problems on sideband. No electrical type noise. I'm starting to lean toward the notion that maybe this radio is just super sensitive on sideband receive. More sensitive to picking up power lines and such when dx is quiet. absolutely love the radio though and definitely would recommend it to anyone. thanks Greg and 231 for the info and suggestions. I've got a video of the popping and cracking if I can figure out how to post it. Really don't want to go through YouTube just to post a radio problem.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
nj diesel
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by nj diesel »

SilverEagle, how would you rate the receive with the Grant 2 vs. the Uniden 980? I'm trying to choose between the 2. I borrowed a Uniden 880 for a day and the receive was terrible, anyone beyond 3/4 of a mile mobile was gone. My old Uniden PC78LTW is far more sensitive than this 880 was. Perhaps it was just "one of those units", but I wonder.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

If you have the chance get the Grant. They are both Uniden but the Grant has more features. receivers are about the same as far as distance. The Grant has more swing than the 980. On AM you can DK around 1-2 watt and swing about 12. You won't see those numbers with the 980. I like the 980's receiver better on sideband as far as white noise. It's more leveled out and consistent. Overall though you can't beat the Grant. More frequencies, more swing, Alpha Channels, you can set it on zero's or five's. tons of features the 980 simply doesn't have. if you have the chance to snag a grant i'd get it. You can always get a 980 later. Since I've had the Grant I've had great reports on the audio both AM and sideband. Local and DX.

-- Sunday, 01 June 2014, 8:05 AM --

After searching videos on the Grant 2 sideband receive I have found that all grants must have this same issue with the popping and cracking sound. I wish I knew how to post you tube links. If anyone can find this video please post it for me on this thread. It shows the noise I'm talking about on sideband.

[youtube2][/youtube2]
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Post by 231 »

I added the video to both your first post and last just in case.

Sure sounds like the Grant II is more sensitive to some interference than the older Grant is. I'd be curious to know what difference selecting the NB or ANL does instead of the HICUT?

It appears to me it hears just as well but the tones might be better served with an external speaker vs. internal. Sometimes that helps.

Just a couple of thoughts additionally to the PM I replied to.

Good A/B comparison video though.

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Thanks 231 for adding the video to the post.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
delboy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by delboy »

It appears to be the same on all the Grant 2's.

My Grant 2 does exactly the same. I believe it just has a super sensitive receiver. I also find the pops a little distracting when the channels are quiet but on the whole the radio performs VERY well and gets some excellent audio reports from other stations.
-357Mag

Post by -357Mag »

Silvereagel I know you have been thinking about the Lincoln II after reading your review and watching that little video I did a little research on the Grants receive quailty. One video I watched was on a Bench from that snake in Az not that I consider him any more than a Golden screwdriver but the receive quality S-N ratio wasn't to impressive on the signal generator or the Antenna the QRM was terrible, and was in comparison equal to your rig. However I watched a few reviews from our cousins across the pond and theirs where Very Very quiet the QRM was almost nonexistent. There are many reasons for all the QRM everything from Sun spots to thunderstorms and the amount of minerals in the soil. One test really stood out on the sensitivity and was the Grant II head to head with the Lincoln II I'll take a Grant over the Lincoln
[youtube][/youtube]
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Craig, I've been back peddling a bit on the Lincoln 2. I may still end up getting it but not as in love with it as I was. I've watched a few of the UK videos on the grant 2 as well as the snake videos. the UK videos I've seen they are mostly using FM which sounds pretty good. M0ogy, has some really good video reviews on the grant 2. as always good stuff from our friends across the pond. watched several of the Delboy videos too and your right delboy it does get excellent reports from other stations. especially on sideband.

-- Saturday, 27 September 2014, 17:55 PM --

Craig, I couldn't access the you tube link from the post.

is this the video? It's a receive comparison of the two presidents.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
simon007
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by simon007 »

silvereagle1 wrote:If you have the chance get the Grant. They are both Uniden but the Grant has more features. receivers are about the same as far as distance. The Grant has more swing than the 980. On AM you can DK around 1-2 watt and swing about 12. You won't see those numbers with the 980. I like the 980's receiver better on sideband as far as white noise. It's more leveled out and consistent. Overall though you can't beat the Grant. More frequencies, more swing, Alpha Channels, you can set it on zero's or five's. tons of features the 980 simply doesn't have. if you have the chance to snag a grant i'd get it. You can always get a 980 later. Since I've had the Grant I've had great reports on the audio both AM and sideband. Local and DX.

-- Sunday, 01 June 2014, 8:05 AM --

After searching videos on the Grant 2 sideband receive I have found that all grants must have this same issue with the popping and cracking sound. I wish I knew how to post you tube links. If anyone can find this video please post it for me on this thread. It shows the noise I'm talking about on sideband.

[youtube2][/youtube2]
Hi Mark & All

Yes mine does the same with the noise, it is because the receiver is very sensitive. That's the answer I was given when I was asked, in some ways your is quieter than mine. There are times it sits at S4 SSB and S5 AM and that sits all the time until am away from home and then it gets cleaner and better on the receive. If anything it lacks a little output power for my liking it needed to be a little more, I can get just under 10w on a whistle. Otherwise I think it works ok, I would change something's but won't be done.

How is the Grant II now one year onwards? And I like the screen protector it is top class what you sent me

73 Simon
CB since 1978
Blog:www.simonthewizard.com
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/simonthewizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Technical / Radio Design

Mostly On A Uniden Or Qixiang
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

I still use the Grant II every once and awhile but mostly use the Lincoln II now. Sometimes I'll use the 980. They're easy to swap out. I like all 3 radios but the Lincoln II is the best of the three without a doubt. Even though the Lincoln is my first choice I would buy another Grant II if they ever correct the SSB receive problem. There's just something about the Grant II that I like. Thanks again Simon for posting my Screen protection idea for the Grant II and 980 on your website.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee